Sign in with
Your question

Just ordered--how do I prepare?

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2010 5:44:39 PM

Is there anything I can do ahead of time as it relates to drivers or general preparedness for when I receive my order to be ready to go right off the bat?

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 PCIe Dual Link DVI
RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Advice? I'm thinking mostly in terms of drivers, particularly the motherboard? I don't know... First time doing any of this.

More about : ordered prepare

June 2, 2010 6:13:47 PM

It sure wouldn't hurt to have the latest drivers especially for the GPU.

June 2, 2010 6:20:27 PM

While it's not going to hurt having the latest drivers available for your components, there really isn't anything you *need* to do before hand. Unless you've purchased OEM or "Open Box" components, your components should come with driver CDs included. In my experience, it's best to use these first to make sure the components are functioning. Once your system is fully built and functional, then go out and get the latest drivers (if necessary).

-Wolf sends
Related resources
June 2, 2010 7:02:17 PM

Well the DVD drive is OEM.. :/ 
Will that be alright?
June 2, 2010 8:32:55 PM

Yeah. No problem. Standard Windows Drivers (this is a Windows system, isn't it?) will work just fine. The only thing you might need to update drivers for are the motherboard and the graphics card.

-Wolf sends
June 2, 2010 8:40:07 PM

50 pushups the morning of the expected ship date.
And when the UPS/Fedex guy rings the door bell, jump down the stairs (assuming you live in the second floor) 2 steps at a time.

No you don't have anything you need to do :) , having a windows disc ready would be nice.
June 2, 2010 8:55:30 PM

Gather your tools up, clean off your workbench, have a flashlight ready, have a keyboard/mouse/monitor ready, extension cords, internet connection.

Have a safe place designated for the disks/documentation/spare screws/spare wires that come from all of the boxes. Save the boxes until you are sure that everything works properly.

Have a disk or flash drive ready with utilities already downloaded such as cpuid, prime95, coretemp, superpi, maybe memtest86+.

Sometimes it helps to have a functioning computer nearby connected to the net in case you have to look up something at the last minute.

Allow enough time to do the assembly and setup.

If you are loading win7 then make sure the floppy disk drive is disabled in the motherboard BIOS before you start loading the OS.
June 2, 2010 9:56:23 PM

what operating system are you using? XP or vista or windows 7 ?? I just built my system and used Windows 7 and it found all my drivers !
June 2, 2010 9:57:27 PM

Ok I was just messing around but yeah download the latest drivers for everything ahead of time if you can, and definately have a working computer nearby. Also what I do is have all my programs on a usb hard drive ready: MS office, Photoshop, CPU-ID Z and hWmonitor, ... you get the idea.

Beyond that have a pair of small pliers, zip ties (black is nice or clear), phillips/flat and a 3mm (might have been 4mm for the standoffs) and a 3/8" socket.
June 2, 2010 10:12:24 PM

make sure ur awake when u recieve it and bring a screwdriver and a razor to open boxes + assemble rig
June 2, 2010 10:33:04 PM

fastx21 said:
Ok I was just messing around but yeah download the latest drivers for everything ahead of time if you can, and definately have a working computer nearby. Also what I do is have all my programs on a usb hard drive ready: MS office, Photoshop, CPU-ID Z and hWmonitor, ... you get the idea.

Beyond that have a pair of small pliers, zip ties (black is nice or clear), phillips/flat and a 3mm (might have been 4mm for the standoffs) and a 3/8" socket.

Hm.. That brings up an interesting point I haven't really looked into--what are some good programs to have?

I'm planning on running Windows 7 64 bit...
June 2, 2010 10:35:38 PM

Pray you don't get a batch of junk like i did.
Had to rma the cpu,hdd,and ram.
Makes for a difficult build lol!
June 2, 2010 10:35:45 PM

tecmo34 said:
My recommendations... READ these two stickies and understand them, along with your Motherboard's manual when you get it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Typically, I will download all of the latest GPU and MOBO drives ahead of time on to a flash drive, so I can install them from the flash drive versus the disk, which keeps you from having to updated from the internet later on.

I read through that once already, I'll probably refer to it again as I'm building... but mostly I just wanted to thank you for typing that up. I did quite a bit of extensive browsing on the internet and that guide is the most thorough yet to the point step by step I came across.. Like really, thanks for doing that--was extremely informative.
June 2, 2010 10:39:02 PM

davcon said:
Pray you don't get a batch of junk like i did.
Had to rma the cpu,hdd,and ram.
Makes for a difficult build lol!

This is my fear... ::knocks on laminated wood::

Even the best quality stuff if you look at things rated lowest first will have several "DOA!" "Don't by from _____" Heh.. one of the reviews I read on newegg was titled, "More like Gigasuck..." Needless to say that review got one egg..

But ya, what sort of stress test applications am I going to want handy? I may need to infest in a memory stick finally.
June 2, 2010 10:45:28 PM

liveloveshare said:
I read through that once already, I'll probably refer to it again as I'm building... but mostly I just wanted to thank you for typing that up. I did quite a bit of extensive browsing on the internet and that guide is the most thorough yet to the point step by step I came across.. Like really, thanks for doing that--was extremely informative.

Thanks for your comments that is kind if you to say :D 

I'm hoping to add video down the road on my next build or I might tear a part a current build & put back together to make video segments.
June 2, 2010 11:03:42 PM

how can you "download latest ahead of time" ? :) )
June 2, 2010 11:39:46 PM

anarxi said:
how can you "download latest ahead of time" ? :) )

Simple process...
1) Write down the make & model number of your motherboard & CPU.
2) Gain access to the Internet from another PC.
3) Go to specific manufacturer's website and seach for your specific model number or driver download page.
4) Go to specific model and download all the required drivers for your OS.
5) Download the saved files to a flash drive to use to install on your new PC.
June 3, 2010 1:08:30 AM

tecmo34 said:
Simple process...
1) Write down the make & model number of your motherboard & CPU.
2) Gain access to the Internet from another PC.
3) Go to specific manufacturer's website and seach for your specific model number or driver download page.
4) Go to specific model and download all the required drivers for your OS.
5) Download the saved files to a flash drive to use to install on your new PC.

I was being sarcastic. How can it be latest if you downlaod ahead of time? maybe tomorrow there will be some major bug fixes in em.. audio driver? that fixes system crash x)
June 3, 2010 1:18:24 AM

[:mousemonkey:5] I kind of thought you were being sarcastic but I took a shot in case you weren't [:mousemonkey:5]
June 3, 2010 1:40:21 AM

1. While your waiting for stuff to arrive, go to each of your component manufacturer's web sites and download the latest divers for your OS....don't forget BIOS and firmware. Download all of the manuals. Study MoBo manufacturer and other enthusiast sites for overclocking guides specific to your MoBO ... download and burn all of this to a CD or flash drive.

2. Download memtest+, Prime 95, OCCT, Core Temp, CPU-z, GPU-z, GPU overclock tool and whatever else I am forgetting and put those on there too.

3. Print the manuals and put in a 3 ring binder.....nice to have handy while doing the build, especially good to have handy using a highlighter to highlight all your BIOS settings. This will come in waaaay handy 22 months down the road.

4. Read the manuals while waiting for UPOS man to arrive....Rinse and repeat.

5. Build system, install OS, run windows update. Let WU install all OS updates but do not let it install any optional or hardware updates.

6. Install updated BIOS and firmware fist except where such specifically states to do driver update 1st.

7. Once finished, run WU again.....let OS updates happen....if it lists a hardware update, just Betty Ford it ("just say no") and go searching manufacture sites for the update.

8. Run memtest+ overnight .... run prime 95 overnight....record core temps.

9. Using a template for your MoBo....record BIOS settings in a text file....search MoBo manufacturer / OC sites for templates.

10. If all is well, create a system backup.

After that start playing with OC's but that's a new thread
June 3, 2010 10:13:50 AM

#9. I use a digital camera to record BIOS settings. Most BIOS's are able to save several different setups. Gigabyte/Award uses the [F11] and [F12] keys.

Don't forget to have firewall and anti-virus software on hand.

And I think that this is Jack's #10 in a different way. Once the system is set up and updates, drivers, and security software are installed, save an image of the drive. I use Acronis, but there are freeware programs that do the same thing. Sooner or later, you are going to want to reinstall the system. Having a clean image will save a lot of time.
June 3, 2010 2:37:43 PM

While I wait for the parts to arrive, I would go to any website which sell parts, and has bunch of reviews (like newegg), and read all the one or two egged comments, to morally prepare for inevitable --> BSOD
!