Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why should I buy a palit card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2010 11:21:38 PM

Hey guys,

I'm considering a GTX 470 and it looks like the Palit card on newegg costs $10 more than EVGA. Why should I get the Palit card when EVGA has a better warranty? Does Palit offer anything that beats the competition? Just curious since Palit sponsors this site. Also, does the price on newegg reflect what Palit charges newegg?

More about : buy palit card

April 28, 2010 11:29:41 PM

Is that the Palit card that has the twin fan HSF on it Vs the EVGA one that uses the referance design?
Score
April 28, 2010 11:30:24 PM

honestly i would get the EVGA one since you are in the US, just remember to activate the lifetime warranty by registering it on EVGA's site
Score
Related resources
April 28, 2010 11:37:47 PM

tuesday0180 said:
im not sure if it has two fans on it. can't tell by the pics. But this is one im looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was thinking of this one :- the one you linked to is the reference design and unless the card comes with a game or software that you really want then I would suggest you get the one that is cheapest.
Score
May 3, 2010 6:04:35 PM

That is our new design dual fans.

I did not know EVGA trolls this forum too. :) 
Score
May 3, 2010 7:00:59 PM

palitusa said:
That is our new design dual fans.

I did not know EVGA trolls this forum too. :) 

and i didn't realize that there was a Palit troll
Score
May 3, 2010 7:37:57 PM

I like you Mindless728. You are awesome. :) 

Keep up the good job.
Score
May 3, 2010 7:51:31 PM

But to answer your question. Why buy from Palit? Because we are aware of the high heating issue of these 470/480 card and really tested the quality of them to make sure they don't over heat. I think EVGA still using the reference board which everybody has. Reference board is just board that manufacturer put a sticker on and brand it with stock cooling.

I understand EVGA is very popular in the United States and I am proud of them for doing such a good job. It will be up to you consumer to either give Palit a shot or stick with a trusted brand like EVGA.

Beside, we are all NVIDIA manufacturer so there should be no bashing of sort. I would apologize if anybody think that way.

Thank you.
Score
May 3, 2010 7:53:51 PM

honestly, the main reason most people recommend EVGA (used also be XFX) in the US is because of the warranty (read Lifetime)

i know there was already a discussion about warranties in this section, don't want to start that again, its just 1 year is not that good in the US
Score
May 3, 2010 8:09:29 PM

Honestly, if people really care about lifetime warranty(marketing gimmick) then Palit as manufacturer would be closed down and out of business long time ago.

People world wide buys from Palit is because we make stable quality video cards.
We know it will be a problem coming to the US with a 1 year warranty. We are aware of this and right now we do offer 2 year warranty but to distribution. So if you buy from disty and buy a large quantity then you will get 2 year coverage.

We don't know when we will increase the warranty coverage but so far there isn't any big issue with people complaining about our video card problems.

Thanks.
Score
May 3, 2010 8:26:55 PM

Honestly, before I can to Toms Hardware, I hadn't even heard of Palit, and I used to use alot of NVidia equipment.

Note to PalitUSA: Yes while the cards maybe stable and last quite a while, to the majority customer, a lifetime warranty means alot, especially when the brand is not well known. Warranties are sort of like the guarantees on surge protectors, nice to have, but hopefully you never have to collect on it.
Score
May 4, 2010 11:34:50 PM

I love palit's custom coolers :D , gtx260 sonic at 666 core only 65C furmark with 50% fan :D 
Score
May 5, 2010 6:01:16 PM

SK1939 -

LIFETIME warranty is like forcing you to buy Car Insurance/Health Insurance you don't need.
Understand that it only cover NON mod or overclock video cards. And CHIPSET(GPU) is most likely never goes out. So you are paying extra for nothing.
Score
May 5, 2010 6:39:34 PM

palitusa said:
SK1939 -

LIFETIME warranty is like forcing you to buy Car Insurance/Health Insurance you don't need.
Understand that it only cover NON mod or overclock video cards. And CHIPSET(GPU) is most likely never goes out. So you are paying extra for nothing.

not entirely true, i think the people who have the card die later than a year or 2 down the line are very happy they have the lifetime warranty when they either get a replacement of the same card, or an equivalent card from a newer generation (i have seen both EVGA and XFX do this for customers)
Score
May 5, 2010 8:32:45 PM

If lifetime warranty was truly important then why did NVIDIA made Palit a board partners and give us benefits with the rest of the Top Tier Brands?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pf_boardpartners.html

Why are we selling on all major E-Tailers, Distribution, and System Builders? You have to wonder they wouldn't sell our product if they think our product was no good? They wouldn't sell our product if they think our product is not qualified. If alot of people having issue and our product is no good, we should be off the list and off the shelf.
Like I said, we do offer extend warranty, but only to Distribution right now.

Score
May 5, 2010 9:53:29 PM

palitusa said:
If lifetime warranty was truly important then why did NVIDIA made Palit a board partners and give us benefits with the rest of the Top Tier Brands?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pf_boardpartners.html

Why are we selling on all major E-Tailers, Distribution, and System Builders? You have to wonder they wouldn't sell our product if they think our product was no good? They wouldn't sell our product if they think our product is not qualified. If alot of people having issue and our product is no good, we should be off the list and off the shelf.
Like I said, we do offer extend warranty, but only to Distribution right now.

i would imagine because you guys have a reputation that is large outside the US, and i see a few people from outside NA (like randomizer) who states your after market boards are great, its just the warranty is a bit of a sore point here, even 2 years would help a lot more to people here than one (though i haven't ever had a gpu fail on me, i still have an XFX 6800XT that works fine)

EDIT: it kind of sucks that you don't do ATI anymore, wouldn't mind giving the brand a try (i have a crossfire board, and i do use multi-gpu's)
Score
May 5, 2010 10:15:07 PM

palitusa said:
SK1939 -

But when they offer you the insurance and a cheaper price than the one without the insurance and the car is exactly the same (ie the reference cooler model from both companies) that the OP linked -- then you'd have to be a fool not to take the discount and get the insurance to boot !!

IF it were in fact the dual cooler design that MM showed a pic of then perhaps the choice would be more complex for the extra $10 but seeing that the OP was asking which of the 2 reference models to choose (the Palit reference card with a 1 year warranty or the EVGA reference card with a lifetime warranty and $10 lower selling price ) - the choice is pretty obvious.

And to speak to your other comment :

Quote:
Honestly, if people really care about lifetime warranty(marketing gimmick) then Palit as manufacturer would be closed down and out of business long time ago.

Palit is fairly new to the US so only time will tell if they continue to conduct business here or not -- and I have a feeling that if they move even further away from supporting the end user (like they have recently done in other countries requiring RMA's even during warranty to be handled through the place of purchase so that only authorized reps can sell their products with a warranty at all and then only offer a 1 year limited warranty on those purchases) they may find it difficult to gain market share here !!
Score
May 5, 2010 10:50:47 PM

Yay for JDFan again. He never gives up. :) 
I like people who make things controversial.

We are gaining market share regardless.
Keep up the good work guys and keep posting.

$10 lowers cost for a company(EVGA) that don't even produce their own video card.
I will have to repeat again. LIFETIME WARRANTY does not cover MOD or OVERCLOCKING. It is just a gimmick.
Score
May 5, 2010 11:04:34 PM

Here we go again... Dribble dribble (gimmick) dribble.

To the OP, do a simple Pros vs. Cons comparison.

Price: Advantage - eVGA is $10 cheaper.
Warranty: Advantage - eVGA offers a Lifetime warranty. (must register online within 30-days of purchase)
Performance: No advantage - Both are identical reference designs.
Tech Support: Advantage - eVGA w/ 24-hour LIVE tech support.

In this particular case, the eVGA card is the better buy. One could argue that even if price were not an issue, eVGA would still be the better buy, but we already covered that here.

To Palitusa:

NVidia made you a board partner for the same reason all the other companies are board partners - because your company is fully capable of manufacturing and distributing their products for sale within specifications determined by nVidia. That fact had nothing to do with the length of product warranty.

You're selling at major outlets because you're selling a product that is, in general, desirable. However, so are your competitors, so that's not really something to brag about, is it? The key thing for these distributors is they must be able to turn a profit selling your product. I'm no economics wiz, but that might have something to do with it, especially in tight economic times. Therefore, their profit margin on your products is good. Nothing more, nothing less.

Once, and hopefully for all, I would like to stomp this nonsense you keep spouting about lifetime warranty being a gimmick into the ground until it is dead, dead, dead.

A lifetime warranty is a feature some of your competitors offer on their video cards. Should a problem ever arise with their products, said products will be repaired or replaced at no cost. That provides peace of mind to a consumer.

Yes, there are cases where a lifetime warranty is actually used in a somewhat dishonest or subverted manner. Such cases would include lifetime warranty brake pads for vehicles. Such repair shops will replace such pads, and they'll do so genuinely. However, what most people miss is the fact that they don't care about the cost of those pads. What they want is the vehicle in their shop so they can look it over and see what else it might need! That's where they hope to turn profit - additional repairs. (I worked in a Sears Auto Center during and after the scandal years. I know what I'm talking about here.)

It's not the same with video cards. It's only one piece - one part. You can't take a video card back under RMA and tell me I need a new motherboard, or RAM, or anything else of the kind. If the card is dead, it's dead, and needs replacing. The fact that if this ever occurs on a product with a lifetime warranty, it will be taken care of. If it happens one day, one month, or 2 years after a 1-year warranty expires, such is not the case. And that, sir, is the major attraction of a longer-term warranty, and not just a lifetime one.

Is this sinking in yet? No? Allow me to elaborate further.

Not every consumer of video cards is an enthusiast or gamer who seeks top-notch performance and upgrades or replaces their system every year or two. Warranty length isn't as important to the frequent upgraders as they likely won't be using parts for very long. However, many people build or buy computer systems in the hopes they'll last 3 to 5 years. So, let's have a look at the warranty periods for other major system components:

RAM - Most RAM is now covered by a LIFETIME warranty.
CPU - Intel and AMD offer 3-year warranties.
Hard Drive - 3 to 5 years, 6 years on some enterprise models.
Motherboard - 2 to 3 years common among many manufacturers.
Video cards - 1-year to LIFETIME.

(Sigh... I'm beginning to wonder if this is an exercise of futility...)

So, all the other major components have a warranty length average of roughly 3 years. Well, everything except a Palit video card...

I started this post well before the last 3 or 4 replies, and now feel compelled to point out that Lifetime warranties do cover modding and overclocking.
Quote:
LIFETIME WARRANTY does not cover MOD or OVERCLOCKING. It is just a gimmick.

Actually, eVGA and XFX will allow a 3rd-party HS/Fan to be installed on their cards - if the card should ever fail, all you have to do is reinstall the original HS/Fan then RMA it. MSI and ASUS fully support volt-modding and overclocking, or have you never heard of Afterburner and VoltageTweak? Need I go on?

Since you seem to like answering questions with questions, my questions to you are:
Why would anyone choose a video card that's only warrantied for 1 year? More specifically, why would anyone choose a 1-year warranty product when the exact same product is available from another "board partner" (you brought it up!) with a 2-year, 3-year, or LIFETIME warranty?
Are your cards really superior to theirs in some fashion?
Have you got a special manufacturing technique that ensures your product performs better and lasts longer?

Chew on that for a while... I'm tired and I'm gonna go watch some hockey.
Score
May 5, 2010 11:44:55 PM

Understand that we cannot just implement LIFETIME warranty because that means we need to change that policy world wide. Since business is good world wide and Palit is New to US Market. It would be unfair to have lifetime warranty.

Only the US Market with certain EVGA/XFX fans complaining cause they know its something they can attack on. Otherwise, they have really nothing to say.

Hockey sounds fun.
Score
May 6, 2010 12:17:36 AM

^ So much for the gimmick argument... And the OC/Modding one too. :D 

Hockey is fun, especially when the team you like is winning. Sadly, the Flyers are losing. Alas, it's intermission and I can take a break.

In regards to your worldwide point, XFX manages to offer a lifetime warranty only in North America while still maintaining worldwide distribution. I called them on behalf of a fellow Tom's poster from Australia (Darth Windu) to find out their exact warranty length there. They told me their products carry a 2-year warranty outside North America.

I see no reason why Palit couldn't do the same, but I definitely sense a reluctance to do so. Zotac obviously realized they couldn't compete against eVGA's, BFG's, and XFX's warranty, so now they offer a lifetime warranty as well. All of these companies require product registration within 30-days of purchase to be eligible for the lifetime coverage.

There's hope for you yet, Palit. No one's saying Palit has to offer a lifetime warranty. What we've been trying to point out is that a 1-year warranty is awful in comparison to the warranty offered by your competition. Doubling or tripling it would be a vast improvement over the current scenario, and at least put you on par with the warranties offered by MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte, among others.

Lastly, don't forget that eVGA and XFX aren't the only companies that offer lifetime warranties. That list also includes BFG, PNY, Visiontek, and Zotac. There may even be more... (I think Sparkle offers it on a few cards.)
Score

Best solution

May 6, 2010 12:47:37 AM

I bet Evga, XFX and other company have never done this!...jk

On a serious note. This warranty discussion is done. It will get no where so the next person talking about Palit warranty in a thread will be deleted/closed.

Palit only offer 1 year warranty and 2 years for distribution. There is not but of if about it.

Thank you. :hello: 
May 6, 2010 12:54:16 AM

Best answer selected by Palitusa.
Score
May 6, 2010 1:01:17 AM

LMAO. They don't need to pay for stickers on racing cars to advertise their products. Positive word of mouth advertising is enough for them.

And way to go picking your own comment as the best answer yet again! Is it just me, or does that seem childish to anyone else? Why not let the actual topic starter do so? Afraid they might choose an answer that says another company's product is the better choice?

Come on... I know you pay for this forum sub-header, but that's obvious mod abuse.
Score
May 6, 2010 1:56:39 AM

palitusa said:

On a serious note. This warranty discussion is done. It will get no where so the next person talking about Palit warranty in a thread will be deleted/closed.

Palit only offer 1 year warranty and 2 years for distribution. There is not but of if about it.
Thank you. :hello: 

well i hope you don't delete posts that people make mentioning the difference in warranties when they are asking about what card they should get, as that is a selling point in the US

and also, it would be nice if you refrained from giving yourself the best answer, as Bandit said that's abuse of your modding powers, especially since we tell people to search the forums first
Score
May 6, 2010 2:13:49 PM

RazberyBandit said:
LMAO. They don't need to pay for stickers on racing cars to advertise their products. Positive word of mouth advertising is enough for them.

And way to go picking your own comment as the best answer yet again! Is it just me, or does that seem childish to anyone else? Why not let the actual topic starter do so? Afraid they might choose an answer that says another company's product is the better choice?

Come on... I know you pay for this forum sub-header, but that's obvious mod abuse.

mindless728 said:
well i hope you don't delete posts that people make mentioning the difference in warranties when they are asking about what card they should get, as that is a selling point in the US

and also, it would be nice if you refrained from giving yourself the best answer, as Bandit said that's abuse of your modding powers, especially since we tell people to search the forums first

If you guys don't like the way that this (paid for) forum is being run then stay out of it, alternatively you could always buy your own forum and moderate it as you see fit.
Score
May 6, 2010 2:18:15 PM

yes, but this is also a forum to help people, even if paid for, if they delete posts or mark whatever they want for best answer, people who actually search may get the wrong impression of the best answer and it doesn't give the OP a chance to mark what he thinks is the best answer
Score
May 6, 2010 2:26:51 PM

mindless728 said:
yes, but this is also a forum to help people, even if paid for, if they delete posts or mark whatever they want for best answer, people who actually search may get the wrong impression of the best answer and it doesn't give the OP a chance to mark what he thinks is the best answer

Considering the amount of 'Best answer' threads that go unrewarded it's not a biggie especially when the thread gets hijacked by a couple of posters who feel that a lifetime guarantee in the USA is the be all and end all, which considering that this is an international forum, it isn't.
Score
May 6, 2010 2:55:36 PM

Its safe to say that Saphire, Diamond, HIS or other ATI vendors will never offer a customer Representative here, that could be helpful to people. He would just get trolled to death on their companies warranty. With endless , What IF situations. EVGA is a good company, but now its everyone's gold standard ?

edit: I can understand the question being asked once, but I also know that asking and debating why the companies world wide policy can't be changed is a never ending , one way argument.
Score
May 6, 2010 4:12:00 PM

Wow, seeing how the Palit rep abuses the system by locking threads when the heat is on, selecting himself as "Best Answer", and threatening to edit or lock threads asking about their sub-par warranty just makes me want to avoid their products even more. I don't care if they're lining BOM's pockets or not. Poor forum etiquette is poor forum etiquette no matter how you twist it. I'm sure this thread will be edited/deleted, but who cares. :lol: 
Score
May 6, 2010 4:19:10 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I'm sure this thread will be edited/deleted, but who cares. :lol: 

Well you seem to, why else would you bother posting? But if you or anyone else have a problem with the way this section is being run then take it up with admin that way your concerns may be addressed as opposed to posting here where they may just be deleted and/or ignored.
Score
May 6, 2010 4:25:52 PM

The admins would also ignore anyone pointing out that somebody giving them a kickback is abusing their forum power. I don't see the other forum sponsors acting in this way, tough. For example, the Antec rep actually provides meaningful and helpful posts that has gained my respect for him and his company.
Score
May 6, 2010 4:30:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Palitusa
Score
May 6, 2010 4:31:00 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The admins would also ignore anyone pointing out that somebody giving them a kickback is abusing their forum power.

Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't, unless people try they won't know will they?
Score
May 7, 2010 8:06:58 PM

palitusa said:
These people are call FORUM trolls that EVGA/XFX hire.

Here it is http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

Have fun.

Do you have any solid proof at all to back up that statement about these forum members being hired by EVGA/XFX?
Score
!