Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1366 or 1156?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 6:46:45 PM

Hello,
Looking to build a work/gaming rig and can't decide which socket type to go with? Also looking for the best "future proofing" choice. I prefer to use an Asus mobo (just biased I guess). looking to start with core i7 9series just trying to figure out which route to take? Any advice on a sweet rig from case, power supply, gfx card, mem, HDD etc?

More about : 1366 1156

June 2, 2010 6:54:11 PM

Depend's on your budget. 1156 is a great platform even though its not as sexy as the 1366. "Future proofing" is generally a waster of time and money IMHO.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 6:58:42 PM

Please provide the information requested in this thread: How to Ask for New Build Advice.

It's likely that neither 1366 nor 1156 are good choices for "future-proofing" as Intel has announced that they are replacing both of those sockets next year. AMD would be a better choice, as the roadmap indicates that they plan on releasing chips for the enthusiast market next year that will work with AM3.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 2, 2010 7:02:58 PM

Yeah, but I wouldn't select an AMD just to "future proof". If you have an AMD system and Intel system that provide the same value, then let the future proofing of AM3 be the deal breaker. Otheriwse, forgetabouit, I say.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 7:06:32 PM

Chuckles_ said:
Yeah, but I wouldn't select an AMD just to "future proof". If you have an AMD system and Intel system that provide the same value, then let the future proofing of AM3 be the deal breaker. Otheriwse, forgetabouit, I say.


Yeah, I didn't intend that to be a recommendation, as it really depends on what your budget is and what you want to do with the system. AMD offers good value at certain price-points, but it isn't ideal for every workload.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 7:43:28 PM

First, THANK YOU for the speedy responses! And second, sorry to break with THG ettiquette here or protocol. I'm dealing with a account verification splash screen that's been making this difficult. Still no email yet to verify my account here. Anyway gang here goes.
I've been building my own rigs for 10+ years and have used this site many times for info., research etc. I guess I should say I do prefer Asus and Intel. Never built an AMD machine. Nothing against it just stuck in my ways I guess. Kinda like I used to prefer Nvidia but seems ATI now has the upper hand. I am NOT so stuck in my ways that I don't take more knowledgeable advice though. Advice or people with experience with any of these products would be greatly appreciated.
By the way plan on purchasing this week.
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02-B or Thermaltake Armor plus or Antec 1200 or a full tower from Lian Li? (suggestions?)
CPU: Core i7-860 or Core i7-920?
Mobo: Asus Maximus Formula 3, ASUS P7P55 WS(1156) if 1366 ASUS P6X58D Premium, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2?
RAM: Depends on Mobo and/ or suggestions
Optical drive: Asus BD Combo BC-088
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB or 300 Raptor
CPU Cooler: was going to go with Corsair H50 but after reading reviews here unsure. Suggestions?
Power Supply: Corsair 850 TX or HX(modular)variant
Video Card:HD 5850?
OS: Win 7 64 Professional(need the xp support for graphic design software used in business)

Again, any and ALL advice welcome. By "future proof" I know there is no such thing but I am looking for the platform I can "grow" into rather than being maxed out as soon as I purchase. Also looking to take advantage of certain things in future USB 3 etc. Thank you for being patient.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 8:06:15 PM

P6X58D-E is my favorite 1366 board right now, and the one I'm using. It's better than the P6T Deluxe V2, and it has everything the Premium has except the 2nd LAN port and a heatsink that only matters if you're WCing. It also has USB 3.0 and Sata III, so you're future proof in that regard.

I like 1156 for the i5-750, but if you're going i7, I'd go for the i7-930. If you're OCing, and buying it in the store, then buy the i7-920.

As for HDD, I'm not a fan of the Raptors. Unless you're willing to buy an SSD, you're probably best of going with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, which is like 69.99 at Newegg right now.

As far as the PSU, modular is a waster of money unless you'll change components a lot. Otherwise, save the money. I use Corsair 750TX for an OCd i7-930 with 2x5870, so an 850 is probably overkill for you.

As for the video card, 5850 is best bang for the buck, but since you're spending this much money, I'd fork out the extra $100 for a 5870. As for memory, I went with 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 CAS9. Cheap, effective, and good OCers.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 8:06:50 PM

Again, if you could fill out the info in the How to Ask for New Build Advice thread, it would be helpful.

If you're unable to for some reason, the most important pieces of info that we need in order to be truly helpful are:

Intended use of the system, e.g. Gaming, Folding@Home, Photoshop, audio editing
Budget
Monitor resolution (if gaming)

EDIT: I'd provisionally agree with all of Chuckles_ recommendations, though you could certainly look at CAS 7 memory for probably $10-15 more.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 8:51:48 PM

Chuckles_ said:
P6X58D-E is my favorite 1366 board right now, and the one I'm using. It's better than the P6T Deluxe V2, and it has everything the Premium has except the 2nd LAN port and a heatsink that only matters if you're WCing. It also has USB 3.0 and Sata III, so you're future proof in that regard.

I like 1156 for the i5-750, but if you're going i7, I'd go for the i7-930. If you're OCing, and buying it in the store, then buy the i7-920.

As for HDD, I'm not a fan of the Raptors. Unless you're willing to buy an SSD, you're probably best of going with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, which is like 69.99 at Newegg right now.

As far as the PSU, modular is a waster of money unless you'll change components a lot. Otherwise, save the money. I use Corsair 750TX for an OCd i7-930 with 2x5870, so an 850 is probably overkill for you.

As for the video card, 5850 is best bang for the buck, but since you're spending this much money, I'd fork out the extra $100 for a 5870. As for memory, I went with 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 CAS9. Cheap, effective, and good OCers.


Thank You very much for your assistance Chuckles!!! That was along the lines of the type of help I am looking for when making these decisions! I appreciate your help and your recommendations! Your brand of help is what I was hoping for when visiting this site!!!
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 9:07:40 PM

Future proofing doesn't exist on either socket. As such 1156 is dead and the only other real replacement for the 1366 is that $1,000 980x. And without googling I bet intel will make a new hexa-core anyway for the new sockets.

Modular is a waste, you'll use most of the cables anyway.

And as said above i5 750 is a great gaming proc. Somewhat affordable as well.

edit: After reading your second response, if you can afford it get the i7-930 with a good mobo. It's pretty much one of the fastest right now (besides that ridiculously over priced 980x) and certainly has enough room for growth.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 9:23:02 PM

coldsleep said:
Again, if you could fill out the info in the How to Ask for New Build Advice thread, it would be helpful.

If you're unable to for some reason, the most important pieces of info that we need in order to be truly helpful are:

Intended use of the system, e.g. Gaming, Folding@Home, Photoshop, audio editing
Budget
Monitor resolution (if gaming)

EDIT: I'd provisionally agree with all of Chuckles_ recommendations, though you could certainly look at CAS 7 memory for probably $10-15 more.


Hey Coldsleep, I guess you didn't catch the part where I am having difficulty even posting on here because of some sort of Tom's Hardware Account Verification screen that is continually popping up. I even apologized for "breaking protocol" etc. because of this issue. Yet, you had to throw in the "Again, if you could blah, blah, blah...." FYI, I did read your link on "How to Ask a question and found it helpful. Thank you for that part. The reason I seem to have failed to meet your "Starbucks proper way to order a freaking coffee" etiquette is this verification screen is interfering with trying to link. If the THG verification email ever arrives I will probably then be able to post my Newegg wish list as I had intended to do to begin with. Just because I am newly registered on this site and a novice to your forums doesn't mean I don't know how people can be on these types of forums. Hence, the way I apologized in advance! I also would like to thank you Coldsleep for your adding to Chuckles help by "provisionally" agreeing and pointing me to the CAS 7 memory.
I own a graphics design company and this build is for my working at home and while taking downtime to play some high end gaming when the opportunity presents itself. Photoshop is utilized but sad to say the least expensive program we use. If this info isn't sufficient and you absolutely need the links I will get that posted asap. Then again I'm trying to gauge whether you are reveling in your number of posts on this forum or truly trying to be helpful. If it's the former, I will leave you to sniff your own farts and wonder why I even thought this was a helpful community. It definitely, took some of the luster off of this site I formerly thought of as being astute and knowledgeable. If I'm wrong about the intent of your post I sincerely apologize and will follow through with the requested post when and if my verification email ever arrives.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 10:04:42 PM

Quote:
Hey Coldsleep, I guess you didn't catch the part where I am having difficulty even posting on here because of some sort of Tom's Hardware Account Verification screen that is continually popping up. I even apologized for "breaking protocol" etc. because of this issue. Yet, you had to throw in the "Again, if you could blah, blah, blah...."
SNIP
I own a graphics design company and this build is for my working at home and while taking downtime to play some high end gaming when the opportunity presents itself. Photoshop is utilized but sad to say the least expensive program we use. If this info isn't sufficient and you absolutely need the links I will get that posted asap. Then again I'm trying to gauge whether you are reveling in your number of posts on this forum or truly trying to be helpful. If it's the former, I will leave you to sniff your own farts and wonder why I even thought this was a helpful community. It definitely, took some of the luster off of this site I formerly thought of as being astute and knowledgeable. If I'm wrong about the intent of your post I sincerely apologize and will follow through with the requested post when and if my verification email ever arrives.


I read the part about where you're having problems, I just thought that meant you were having problems with posting, not necessarily reading linked posts. I don't care about the newegg wish list, I'm just suggesting that it would be helpful if you supplied basic information like budget, etc.

Trust me, I'm really not interested in post counts. And very few of my posts are (intentionally) jerky. ;) 

Although I am not a graphic design expert, people (not just me) will be able to provide more useful information if you list what programs you're using. For example, if you mostly do 3D rendering, the $300 AMD 1090T X6 might be a good option, as it tends to do better than all of the Intel chips except the $1k hex-core. For most other uses (including Photoshop), the X6 is subpar compared to Intel chips (including below $300). If you have a hard limit on what you can spend, the i7-860 could be a good buy at certain price-points, but it won't be at most of them.

If my tone came off as hostile, it certainly wasn't meant to be. It's just that some context is needed to provide helpful responses.

Up until you provided some info in the last post, for all anyone knew, you could have a $3k budget and you intend to mostly game with a little bit of work on single-threaded coding. Or you could have a $800 budget and do very little gaming along with heavy 3D rendering.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 10:13:09 PM

coldsleep said:
I read the part about where you're having problems, I just thought that meant you were having problems with posting, not necessarily reading linked posts. I don't care about the newegg wish list, I'm just suggesting that it would be helpful if you supplied basic information like budget, etc.

Trust me, I'm really not interested in post counts. And very few of my posts are (intentionally) jerky. ;) 

Although I am not a graphic design expert, people (not just me) will be able to provide more useful information if you list what programs you're using. For example, if you mostly do 3D rendering, the $300 AMD 1090T X6 might be a good option, as it tends to do better than all of the Intel chips except the $1k hex-core. For most other uses (including Photoshop), the X6 is subpar compared to Intel chips (including below $300). If you have a hard limit on what you can spend, the i7-860 could be a good buy at certain price-points, but it won't be at most of them.

If my tone came off as hostile, it certainly wasn't meant to be. It's just that some context is needed to provide helpful responses.

Up until you provided some info in the last post, for all anyone knew, you could have a $3k budget and you intend to mostly game with a little bit of work on single-threaded coding. Or you could have a $800 budget and do very little gaming along with heavy 3D rendering.

I SINCERELY apologize for coming across as rude Coldsleep and you've just proven to me this is a site to go to for tech help! Thanks for your response and your input! Again, I was NOT disregarding the forum rules/guidelines but this flash verification screen is very annoying and I have seen so many other sites where people have been intentionally derogatory that I just thought you were going there. That is MY BAD and I APOLOGIZE for being harsh when you were just trying to be helpful!
I seriously do plan on adding links so your forum members might assist in making the most informed decision. I know it's quite an investment on my part financially and that's why I am trying to get as much input as possible. So if you or anybody has any experience with any of the products I listed I greatly appreciate the time involved with my investment. And thank you for your professional response Coldsleep! I gave you ammo you could have used to flame and you showed character with an explanation instead! Kudos to you!!!
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 10:43:51 PM

neither the 1366 or 1156 is future proof.....because you have to be an idiot to upgrade a CPU on an obsolete Motherborad that's 3 or 4 years old! they will have plenty of new tech on new motherboards for the hexa- core and new CPU's
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 11:07:23 PM

fastx21 said:
Future proofing doesn't exist on either socket. As such 1156 is dead and the only other real replacement for the 1366 is that $1,000 980x. And without googling I bet intel will make a new hexa-core anyway for the new sockets.

Modular is a waste, you'll use most of the cables anyway.

And as said above i5 750 is a great gaming proc. Somewhat affordable as well.

edit: After reading your second response, if you can afford it get the i7-930 with a good mobo. It's pretty much one of the fastest right now (besides that ridiculously over priced 980x) and certainly has enough room for growth.


so dead that 2 new processors were released for it this past week......


m
0
l
June 2, 2010 11:16:04 PM

Quote:
First, THANK YOU for the speedy responses! And second, sorry to break with THG ettiquette here or protocol. I'm dealing with a account verification splash screen that's been making this difficult. Still no email yet to verify my account here. Anyway gang here goes.
I've been building my own rigs for 10+ years and have used this site many times for info., research etc. I guess I should say I do prefer Asus and Intel. Never built an AMD machine. Nothing against it just stuck in my ways I guess. Kinda like I used to prefer Nvidia but seems ATI now has the upper hand. I am NOT so stuck in my ways that I don't take more knowledgeable advice though. Advice or people with experience with any of these products would be greatly appreciated.
By the way plan on purchasing this week.
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02-B or Thermaltake Armor plus or Antec 1200 or a full tower from Lian Li? (suggestions?)
CPU: Core i7-860 or Core i7-920?
Mobo: Asus Maximus Formula 3, ASUS P7P55 WS(1156) if 1366 ASUS P6X58D Premium, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2?
RAM: Depends on Mobo and/ or suggestions
Optical drive: Asus BD Combo BC-088
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB or 300 Raptor
CPU Cooler: was going to go with Corsair H50 but after reading reviews here unsure. Suggestions?
Power Supply: Corsair 850 TX or HX(modular)variant
Video Card:HD 5850?
OS: Win 7 64 Professional(need the xp support for graphic design software used in business)

Again, any and ALL advice welcome. By "future proof" I know there is no such thing but I am looking for the platform I can "grow" into rather than being maxed out as soon as I purchase. Also looking to take advantage of certain things in future USB 3 etc. Thank you for being patient.

Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02-B http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Aluminum-Uni-Body-Com...
CPU: Core i7 930 purchased at microcenter if you can
Board/Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Optical drive: Asus BD Combo BC-088
HDD: 2 of these on raid 0 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Cooler:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Hydro+Series+H50+... Supply: Corsair 850 TX or HX(modular)variant
OS: Win 7 64 Professional(need the xp support for graphic design software used in business)


That case is as good as they come, it is prob my second favorite purchase ever besides my car
for the money ur spending on things, dont get a 5850, cut back on the case if you cant afford the 5870
h50 is an excellent cooler and u can hit 4.0ghz without much difficulty, also at that price - air coolers arent as good.




m
0
l
June 2, 2010 11:57:51 PM

I would not recommand a 2TB HDD for a boot disk, you're better getting a smaller hard drive for the boot and keep the 2TB for storage and data.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 2:46:42 AM

If money is no object, here is a build that can handle high-performance single-monitor gaming and multi-threaded apps, and is still under $2.5k. Leaving out OS, monitor, keyboard, as I assume you have/can figure that out.

CPU - i7-930 - $290 + free shipping
HSF - any of the top heatsinks from frostytech - $30 - $80
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - $210 + free shipping
RAM - 2x Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6 GB 1600 MHz CAS 6 kits - $220 each, total $440 + free shipping
Graphics - any ATI 5870 or nVidia 470 - $350-400ish
SSD - Intel X25-M - $235 + $3 shipping
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB - $230 or 2x Seagate 7200.12 1 TB - $80 each + free shipping - $10 each with promo code ending 6/7, total $140
ODD - any cheap SATA DVD writer
PSU - 750 W should be more than enough unless you plan on CrossFire or SLI eventually. Seasonic X750 Gold SLI Ready 80+ Gold Active PFC - $180 + $11 shipping (850W for CrossFire 5870s, more for SLI-ed 470s/480s - check www.slizone.com for more info)
Case - really depends on what you're looking for as far as bling/features...$100-200. The HAF 932 comes frequently recommended around here, but I think they're ugly as hell.

Total: $2296 for everything, with $400 for a GPU, the expensive HDD, and $200 for a case

You could easily go with a 480 or a 5970 for $200-300 more, which would allow a little more future-proofing as far as graphics/gaming goes, but is probably unnecessary for 1 monitor right now.

If I've overestimated your budget/needs, I'll try to update based on any further info.
m
0
l
!