Closed

AMD's comeback?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 4:45:46 PM

AMD posted a ~1.5 million dollar profit this last quarter

and their Radeon 5xxxx series is kicking the crap out of Nvidia

so could they be on a comeback? could bulldozer be the next i7?

note: this thread is for discussion, and for old times sake, lets get those page long explanations and maybe a few flame wars, but lets not get too down and dirty, nobody needs to be banned

so please post your opinions and thoughts

Cheers!!

More about : amd comeback

a c 213 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2010 4:54:51 PM

I hope so, if they can get some CPUs that trade blows with high end intel ones then prices will drop and then both will start stuffing money into R&D to beat the other guy so we get even cooler toys.

With the HD 6xxx GPUs coming out soon, i hope they beat the crap out of the current nVidia lineup, AMD needs to gain more market share in the GPU market, im curious what will happen to the price of GPUs if the 6xxx series beats all the nVidia cards, will nVidia drop their prices or will AMDs skyrocket?
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:02:14 PM

Considering that Intel still has a gigantic lead in resources for R&D despite how well AMD is doing, the odds are stacked against them.

Going by that, I would say no. That said, I know that its not that simple. AMD have managed to do some amazing things with their far, far less resources for R&D so it is possible.

We shall see. I will be happy if AMD can manage the same as now, close performance to Intel's line-up for a better price, though AMD leading the pack would be awesome.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:33:22 PM

AMD is doing well, but they have always excelled at being second place (keeping intel somewhat in-line)

i can't really see them overtaking intel in the processor market
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2010 6:29:50 PM

Bulldozer might take the performance lead for awhile, but that is questionable. I am gonna enjoy when Nvidia finally finishes launching their DX11 cards and AMD responds with the Radeon 6000 series that offers much better performance. lol
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 7:29:01 PM

what might happen to Nvidia though? if ATI gains more marketshare, will NVidia become an underdog? they are losing business, they aren't making chipsets for intel anymore and their AMD chipsets are horrible

a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2010 8:57:53 PM

They have few chipsets for AMD now too, they aren't just horrible, they've almost vanished from the market. Apple has switched to ATI products now too, almost exclusively for this latest products. I'm also seeing ATI in a lot more OEM machines right now than in the past. I'm sure Nvidia will survive, though the story will change if they fail to become competitive again.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 10:24:29 PM

Upendra09 said:
what might happen to Nvidia though? if ATI gains more marketshare, will NVidia become an underdog? they are losing business, they aren't making chipsets for intel anymore and their AMD chipsets are horrible

This might change Nvidia's future.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ftc-settlement-antitru...
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 12:57:01 AM

Having both the CPU & GPU market would be a huge win for AMD. It's highly unlikely that Bulldozer will provide a 40-50% boost in performance per core, though.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 2:01:41 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I wonder if AMD/ATi's having to march to Apple's drum for the next couple of years might more of a help to Nvidia than this, but then I can be rather cynical at times. :whistle: 

Who knows, :lol: 
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 2:40:23 AM

@MM how could that help Nvidia?

@warmon6 can you elaborate on the articlei didn't get how it negatively affects NVidia....seems like it would help them?
August 5, 2010 3:43:24 AM

i hope their bulldozer will make some difference... afterall their fight means cheaper prices.. good for us...lol..
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 3:45:41 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I wonder if AMD/ATi's having to march to Apple's drum for the next couple of years might more of a help to Nvidia than this, but then I can be rather cynical at times. :whistle: 

It is admittedly a small market, but it will do great things for their reputation as components in Apple computers are generally seen as quality.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 4:02:47 AM

yeah by the general public, being uber stupid but....yes if they do good in the laptop section of Mac then their windows PC laptops should gain a jump in sales

AMD rally has to play its cards carefully now, this apple deal can be a dealbreaker for the public :sol:  pun intended
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 5, 2010 4:46:03 AM

Upendra09 said:
@MM how could that help Nvidia?

Let's see if trying to appease the Almighty Job's with cards and software that do not chuck up any errors at all works out for them, and as long as they are concentrating on keeping the Mac crowd happy it gives the CEO of Nvidia time to get his revenge on Apple for being dropped so soon after he was blowing smoke up their ass.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 5:22:25 AM

hahah ok i see

but the revenue from apple should also help AMD/ATI expand and invest on R&D as well as *oh no* MARKETING

hopefully they will get aggressive with their ads if they can come up with a better jingle than the intel one, maybe it can help
August 5, 2010 5:25:56 AM

Upendra09 said:
AMD posted a ~40 billion dollar profit this last quarter

note: this thread is for discussion, and for old times sake, lets get those page long explanations and maybe a few flame wars, but lets not get too down and dirty, nobody needs to be banned

Cheers!!

You need to drop that down 3 zero's, AMD's take for the last quater was only 1.8 Billion, so how could they have made 40 billion in profit?
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 5:33:14 AM

oh sorry

i got them mixed up with intel maybe

anyway, how much of that 1.8 billion was ATI though?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 5, 2010 6:39:12 AM

Upendra09 said:
hahah ok i see

but the revenue from apple should also help AMD/ATI expand and invest on R&D as well as *oh no* MARKETING

hopefully they will get aggressive with their ads if they can come up with a better jingle than the intel one, maybe it can help

I think it's going to take more than a jingle mate! :lol: 
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 7:44:52 AM

OMG THATS A BRILLIANT IDEA A JINGLE! :pt1cable: 

No but, I think that it's possible AMD could make a comeback. I'd like to see there CPUs improve though with the release of the Bulldozer, and maybe with Intel's OC limiting Sandy Bridge, perhaps it'll produce a few more AMD buyers?
August 5, 2010 7:59:59 AM

Honestly I think it has to do with Intel being in ALOT more OEM computers than either company's advertising (or lack thereof).

Most people I talk to who aren't tech savy don't even know what those Intel commercials are about or what a processor is etc.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 2:16:25 PM

clarification, is Apple using only ATI products or AMD processor/chipsets too?
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 2:18:33 PM

AMD is the catalyst to cpu and gpu improvement! Without them there would be no competition, I realy do hope bulldozer kicks @$$ and is still priced reasonably.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 2:25:22 PM

i expect bulldozer to be more expensive though, AMD has to make up for 3 years of losses

and if intel charges 1 grand on a 6 core then AMD can too if it beat the 975 extreme
August 5, 2010 3:13:55 PM

It would be nice to see amd finally thump intels butt, but i doubt that gonna happen any time soon simply because of all the money Intel spends on r&d, but to be honest i don't mind if amd stays second, so long as they keep providing comparable products without ripping people off, ill be happy. I got my 1055t 6 core proc for $200, and i couldn't be happier with it.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:18:36 PM

Upendra09 said:

Cheers!!

?? Uppity, you need to go back & read their Q2 earnings report. AMD actually LOST $43 million (again!) due to their stake in GF.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:28:05 PM

alright alright

jeez failzers, don't make me get jennyh here
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:33:44 PM

warmon6 said:
This might change Nvidia's future.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ftc-settlement-antitru...

LOL - yeah I saw that in the news. A real wrist-slap or finger-wag, that one...

So, where are JDJ & jennyh, with their predictions that the FTC would hammer Intel to the tune of $10B or so?? I guess we can lump this one with the "Magny Cours taking 90% of the server business" prediction (where Intel actually increased their server marketshare last quarter, in which MC was available the entire 3 months), or the "Thuban - world's fastest desktop CPU" prediction (where the poster couldn't read a benchmark test suite properly I guess).

Anyway, I hope GF gets its gate-first HKMG working properly and their 32nm yields up soon, or else BD will get delayed just like Llano..
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:35:32 PM

Upendra09 said:
alright alright

ROLF - no, NO - NOT THAT!! :D 

Anyway, I trust you are not looking at a career in accounting (at least with other people's money, that is :p ). "Lessee, you either made $40B profit or suffered a $43M loss, take yer pick..." :sol: 
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:38:53 PM

yeah well i thing puff the magic dragon had a part in AMD making those suposed millions

edit

billions

hi ya fazers :) 
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:40:00 PM

Upendra09 said:
alright alright

pip squeeking again upidy
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:43:42 PM

I think AMD processors will always be second fiddle, Intel is just too big. Even with Bulldozer coming out, Intel has their next gen "Sandy Bridge" CPUs coming up as well.

On the GPU side of things, tho, I think ATI has a good thing going. They beat the pants off Nvidia with their 5xxx series up until recently, now that the bestly GTX480 has taken top spot and also NV released the amazing GTX 460. Right now I give props to NV. Plus they have better drivers. But since the 6xxx series is coming out soon, the tide will probably shift back in ATI's favour. Pretty excited to see what comes out... I hope my 5850s will keep up ><
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 6:48:59 PM

Hellboy said:
yeah well i thing puff the magic dragon had a part in AMD making those suposed millions

edit

billions

hi ya fazers :) 

Hey, HB - good to see you posting again. Sorry about your marriage probs - hope they get straightened out soon if not already..
August 5, 2010 7:26:11 PM

Upendra09 said:

Cheers!!

Too Much Magic Carpet Ride with AMD nowadays! With Fusion being a a success if released on Time, AMD should be a good spot, with a good investment gamble with ATI, The company that went from the sub-mediocre drivers to ATI All in wonder Radeon(Ultimate Weapon Art on Collecter's Edition with Hyper-Z Buffer)Catalyst Drivers that were competitive with Nvidia's Detonator Drivers! To the Company that was able to compete with Nvidia/3dfx/GigaPixel vs. Art-X/ATI/AMD and a surprise attack by Matrox Parehelia DX8.1 with DX9.0 extensions!To Releasing the ATYT Stock ticker with the 5000 series 7-8months ahead of the game! Time for Jerry Sanders and the rest of the ATI team to call it quits sell its tek and ascend to Skies of Arcadia(Valhalia Metaphor) Good times in IT young lad, don't lead the rumours of Nasdaq and the american stock market bad publicity in the papers bring down the precious moments! Only Thing Left to go is get a proprietary Glide API like 3dfx and sell it to the Alienware Vindicator from UFO Aftershock, and retire on top after all the anti trust lawsuits,arguements and retire from 1994-2002 every Chip Maker's Dream!
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 7:38:34 PM

Upendra09 said:

@warmon6 can you elaborate on the articlei didn't get how it negatively affects NVidia....seems like it would help them?

Well focusing on this comment.

Quote:

this to me meant that if nvidia keep on this path, Nvidia would fall

Then i said said, "This might change Nvidia's future. " Linking the article.

Meaning i was implying a better future for Nvidia. ;)  Not as good as it could be but better than original thought.
August 5, 2010 9:17:55 PM

warmon6 said:
Well focusing on this comment.

Quote:

this to me meant that if nvidia keep on this path, Nvidia would fall

Then i said said, "This might change Nvidia's future. " Linking the article.

Meaning i was implying a better future for Nvidia. ;)  Not as good as it could be but better than original thought.

Is that an opposite pyschology wink that AMD/ATI are going to Borg Fusion Nvidia, just as picard was by the borg making the ultimate dual roled captain Tri-Split personality for expample as: Xavier/Piccard/Loquitus of Borg! Does he ever get confused who his starting commander is like in prototype or undecided who to attack some times kinda of like have 3 heads attached on 1 body not 2
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 9:31:24 PM

GunBladeType-T said:
Too Much Magic Carpet Ride with AMD nowadays! With Fusion being a a success if released on Time, AMD should be a good spot, with a good investment gamble with ATI, The company that went from the sub-mediocre drivers to ATI All in wonder Radeon(Ultimate Weapon Art on Collecter's Edition with Hyper-Z Buffer)Catalyst Drivers that were competitive with Nvidia's Detonator Drivers! To the Company that was able to compete with Nvidia/3dfx/GigaPixel vs. Art-X/ATI/AMD and a surprise attack by Matrox Parehelia DX8.1 with DX9.0 extensions!To Releasing the ATYT Stock ticker with the 5000 series 7-8months ahead of the game! Time for Jerry Sanders and the rest of the ATI team to call it quits sell its tek and ascend to Skies of Arcadia(Valhalia Metaphor) Good times in IT young lad, don't lead the rumours of Nasdaq and the american stock market bad publicity in the papers bring down the precious moments! Only Thing Left to go is get a proprietary Glide API like 3dfx and sell it to the Alienware Vindicator from UFO Aftershock, and retire on top after all the anti trust lawsuits,arguements and retire from 1994-2002 every Chip Maker's Dream!

err what?
August 5, 2010 9:31:25 PM

Hellboy said:

What's going on with the Elf Dude and the Golden Army from Hellboy 2 or Krownen from Hellboy 1! Which one is the lesser of all Evil's L.L.C.?Also get me on one of those teams!
August 5, 2010 9:33:17 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
err what?

Don't worry about this old man logan , your objective is to knock out the Senntinel Giant Android, you being canadian french, how do you not understand these Metaphorical Cliches, considering your face looks famous from history?
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 9:42:42 PM

^someone should lay off the sauce...
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 9:52:59 PM

jefe323 said:
^someone should lay off the sauce...

I was thinking the same thing. :lol: 
August 5, 2010 10:51:06 PM

Upendra09 said:

Cheers!!

Here's the latest Q2 revenue figure for AMD

The quarterly revenue is ~ $1.6B, Reported loss of $43M

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20010725-92.html?tag=m...;8n

Its far from the $40B profit and AMD lost $43M.

a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 11:35:00 PM

Is Zooty gracing us with his presence again?
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 2:53:44 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
ROLF - no, NO - NOT THAT!! :D 

Anyway, I trust you are not looking at a career in accounting (at least with other people's money, that is :p ). "Lessee, you either made $40B profit or suffered a $43M loss, take yer pick..." :sol: 

[:mousemonkey:5] [:mousemonkey:5]

Hellboy said:

You know it hellboy, and welcome back

wolfram23 said:
I think AMD processors will always be second fiddle, Intel is just too big. Even with Bulldozer coming out, Intel has their next gen "Sandy Bridge" CPUs coming up as well.

On the GPU side of things, tho, I think ATI has a good thing going. They beat the pants off Nvidia with their 5xxx series up until recently, now that the bestly GTX480 has taken top spot and also NV released the amazing GTX 460. Right now I give props to NV. Plus they have better drivers. But since the 6xxx series is coming out soon, the tide will probably shift back in ATI's favour. Pretty excited to see what comes out... I hope my 5850s will keep up ><

1. Sandy bridge is OC crippled so not too many enthusiasts will care
2. ATI is still top spot the GTX 480 isn't better than the 5970 or even the 5890

@badtrip Zooty?!?!? where did you get that from?? nice to see you on the forums again tho

@gunblade ................what???........i see you on the UK forums but....what are you saying?

HEY Faxers you better watch it faxers i am the all knowing IT Master of the Universe, after all i came up with the Server subsection where wuzy currently dwells :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola: 
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 5:02:41 AM

5890? That doesn't exist... yet.

And yeah the 5970 is better than a GTX480, but Nvidia's fermi cards are still putting a hurtin on ATI and they scale better in SLI.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 6, 2010 5:10:27 AM

wolfram23 said:
5890? That doesn't exist... yet.

Yes it does, I know a unicorn that's got one. :finger:
August 6, 2010 6:22:16 AM

Nvidia appears to be in serious trouble, which should help AMD a bit. NV chipset business is gone. The low end discrete gpu business is about to disappear with Sandy Bridge and Llano. Laptops have overtaken desktops in popularity and Nv screwed over most laptop makers with defective chips.

With that said though, Intel wants AMD to just barely stay alive so they can't be called a monopoly and get broken up. Also, Intel has enough money to control how much money AMD makes - through pricing, or bribing, arm twisting, whatever it takes. Intel is rich enough to bribe any fed who catches them being naughty, making sure the punishment is a wrist slap. The bottom line is whatever Intel wants is where AMD is going to stay.

Even if AMD manages to get the yields high on 32nm, high-k on gate first with a new architecture (not easy learning to do all this at one time), and Bulldozer exceeds expectations, AMD's future is still in Intel's hands.
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 9:25:43 AM

rpg123 said:
Nvidia appears to be in serious trouble, which should help AMD a bit. NV chipset business is gone. The low end discrete gpu business is about to disappear with Sandy Bridge and Llano. Laptops have overtaken desktops in popularity and Nv screwed over most laptop makers with defective chips.

With that said though, Intel wants AMD to just barely stay alive so they can't be called a monopoly and get broken up. Also, Intel has enough money to control how much money AMD makes - through pricing, or bribing, arm twisting, whatever it takes. Intel is rich enough to bribe any fed who catches them being naughty, making sure the punishment is a wrist slap. The bottom line is whatever Intel wants is where AMD is going to stay.

Even if AMD manages to get the yields high on 32nm, high-k on gate first with a new architecture (not easy learning to do all this at one time), and Bulldozer exceeds expectations, AMD's future is still in Intel's hands.

:heink: 
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 10:16:30 AM

Ummm.... I don't remember the Sandy Bridge being the only chips with the discrete.... the desktop dual-core i5's all have discrete.
!