Setting up raids for SRT on a Z77

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'm building a new computer using a z77 mobo. The relevant parts are:

1 asus P8 z77-m pro mobo
1 intel 313 24gb slc ssd for an SRT cache
1 WD black 1tb hd

I get that I need to install the wd black in raid mode. But the manual says: "Due to chipset limitation, when set any of the SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together."

I have 6 sata ports (2x sata 3, and 4x sata 2). Does that mean all the SATA ports are going to be used up by installing one HD? or just the sata 2 ports or just the sata 3 ports?

It seems like it would make srt useless/impossible if this is the case.

How would you hook them up?

Solution
SATA ports can have 3 settings (modes): IDE, AHCI, & RAID.

When using Intel SRT the port your HDD is connected to has to be in RAID mode.
Some motherboards allow you to set SATA modes for each individual port; yours does not but it’s no big deal.

Any drive connected to those ports that are not part of an actual RAID array will automatically default to AHCI mode.
So you will be able to connect any SSD, HDD, or ODD to the remaining 4 ports without any issues.

1.) Connect your HDD to one of the SATA 3Gb/s ports.
2.) Install Windows and the latest Intel SRT drivers.
3.) Shut down your pc and connect your SSD to one of the SATA 6Gb/s ports.
4.) After you’ve successfully set up SRT you can shut down and connect any remaining drives.

I’m...
SATA ports can have 3 settings (modes): IDE, AHCI, & RAID.

When using Intel SRT the port your HDD is connected to has to be in RAID mode.
Some motherboards allow you to set SATA modes for each individual port; yours does not but it’s no big deal.

Any drive connected to those ports that are not part of an actual RAID array will automatically default to AHCI mode.
So you will be able to connect any SSD, HDD, or ODD to the remaining 4 ports without any issues.

1.) Connect your HDD to one of the SATA 3Gb/s ports.
2.) Install Windows and the latest Intel SRT drivers.
3.) Shut down your pc and connect your SSD to one of the SATA 6Gb/s ports.
4.) After you’ve successfully set up SRT you can shut down and connect any remaining drives.

I’m assuming you have the 2.5" version of the 24GB Intel 313. If you have the mSATA version it is not compatible with your motherboard. mSATA SSDs have to be connected to mSATA ports.

Solution

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006

Yep, it's the 2.5" sata version. Thanks for the info!