Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X3 causing low FPS???

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:01:14 PM

Hello everyone. Recently, I upgraded to a GTX 470. It really improved performance alot but my only problem is in games such as COH, BFBC2, and even starcraft 2. I seem to only get a small 40 fps on low and high settings. It seems that it never changes whatever setting it is. Does this mean that my CPU is not enough to get those higher fps??? Please just give me an answer and don't start making me do all sorts of tests.
a c 162 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:06:57 PM

40 FPS in SC2 seems about right for a 720, it only uses two threads and is pretty CPU heavy. Since your FPS doesnt change between low and high settings it is very likely a CPU bottleneck, to relieve this issue you can get yourself an aftermarket cooler and OC your CPU a bit to boost performance.
August 4, 2010 5:26:57 PM

I found that the CPU, if too slow can cause a problem with fps... Your tri core should have a fourth, locked core... you can unlock it if you have the right motherboard, look up a guide for your motherboard.
Related resources
August 4, 2010 8:21:15 PM

Thanks guys. First, my cpu is oc @3.4ghz and yes I can unlock the forth core, ive done it already, but never got it stable in prime95. So it is my cpu?? Awesome!!! Now I have a reason to upgrade to the AMD hexa-core!!!

P.S. I am running on liquid cooling already so there should be no problem ;) 
a c 83 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 8:48:14 PM

jrz895 said:
Thanks guys. First, my cpu is oc @3.4ghz and yes I can unlock the forth core, ive done it already, but never got it stable in prime95. So it is my cpu?? Awesome!!! Now I have a reason to upgrade to the AMD hexa-core!!!

P.S. I am running on liquid cooling already so there should be no problem ;) 

Going to a hexcore won't help when the games don't use the extra cores, other than a higher overclock for better clock speed you won't gain anything for gaming performance over a tri core.
August 4, 2010 8:59:01 PM

Well, i unlocked the fourth core, but it didn't last long. In the time that I had it running though, BC2 was running at 60fps on 4 cores running at 2.8 instead of 30fps on 3 cores running at 3.5.
August 4, 2010 10:11:54 PM

What do you mean by didn't last long? What happens when the 4th core shuts down? Also, core unlocking is usually don via bios.. that might give you a more stable unlock... By the way, Don't get the hex core... it's a waste of money seeing as bulldozer is coming out soon anyways. Also, as you can see it was your cpu bottlenecking your rig as you got much higher fps with 4 cores... another way to find out is to open task manager and click the performance tab... every once in a while alt tab to it and look at the cpu usage for the past couple mins... if it's over 90 then your cpu is bottlenecking... (that's my rule anyway.)
August 4, 2010 10:12:59 PM

also, the hex core scales poorly for games... in gaming mode it disables 3 cores and oc's 3 to 3.6 ghz... it'd be better to have a quad at 3.4 that goes to 3.6 when needed.
August 4, 2010 11:48:16 PM

Didnt last long as in the computer kept freezing. Also, i did it through the Bios, there is no other way. I am gonna get the same CPU you have martin so thank you. Any more input???
August 5, 2010 12:10:29 AM

Oh, for some reason I thought you said you did it via a program and I was like, What? and just letting you know, the Phenom II 965 is a great CPU, but if you're gonna get one, make sure you get the 125 watt C3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... instead of the 140w. It's a lot cooler, a little faster, and more stable when overclocking :)  I feel confident in saying that once you get the new CPU you will be tearing up the games you play :)  have fun!
August 5, 2010 12:38:39 AM

jrz895 said:
Didnt last long as in the computer kept freezing. Also, i did it through the Bios, there is no other way. I am gonna get the same CPU you have martin so thank you. Any more input???

in your case i would get the 1055t and OC it, you would be more futureproof aswell as having more processing power and for only 20$ more :) 
August 5, 2010 2:09:59 AM

uhm, the 1055t isn't going to be very future proof seeing as bulldozer is coming out soon and that's supposedly going to blow phenoms away...
August 5, 2010 2:41:53 AM

Martin 71 said:
uhm, the 1055t isn't going to be very future proof seeing as bulldozer is coming out soon and that's supposedly going to blow phenoms away...

lol let him wait for bulldozer then, right now the phenom 1055t is the best cpu for his budget thats all im saying
August 5, 2010 2:58:58 AM

Well first, thank you all, you have all been very good at helping me. Now my only problem is Derbix saying that to get a 1055t and OC it. Isn't that what the black edition is for?? If I can OC it, to what extent???

Best solution

August 5, 2010 3:31:40 AM

If you're planning on buying a hex core, start a thread on it... trust me. If you're gaming a quad is a TON better. The hex core scales poorly for games... in gaming mode it disables 3 cores and oc's 3 to 3.6 ghz... it'd be better to have a quad at 3.4 that goes to 3.6 when needed. I'm just letting you know... even start a thread on it if you want... it's not the choice for gaming.
August 5, 2010 3:37:25 AM

Okay ill get back to you guys on my choice (probably will go quad because $170 is my budget). Any more input will be appreciated.
August 5, 2010 10:09:15 PM

Best answer selected by jrz895.
August 5, 2010 10:42:52 PM

thanks mate :) 
!