EVGA 260 GTX 3D Gaming?

Actually, I'm quite surprised when everyone and that includes the manufacturers say this.....
"You need a 3d monitor to play 3D games or watch 3D movies".....

I've been using my standard LCD from viewsonic for 3D gaming for the past year now and I don't quite see the difference.

Really, someone ought to spread more light on this issue....
The cards have been 3D capable for a long time now, the monitors, of course a Higher MHz will out perform the earlier ones, but still the difference is , I'd say, negligible, not until they come out with something like a 6D projection system...... and I wonder if that ever going to happen cos the last two dimensions are going to take all the imagination in the world to even Name.....

So I guess, you can Play your 3D games using that card on the normal monitor that you might be using, it's worth it giving a try, though you'll need the RC Glasses.... Polaroids don't work on normal monitors though....

You're on XFire but if you have a spare machine like something with a Nvidia card on it, try to change the setting in the 3D Panel of the Nvidia CP. Make a pair of RC Glasses with red and cyan cellophane paper and start TR Underworld.....
It'll start in 3D mode and check the bubbles when she's underwater going over your head.....

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy to be able to watch a 3D Movie on a normal monitor, especially since all the major manufacturers are pressing towards getting 3D monitors into the market. But what they're not telling you is that the earlier models are capable of it too......
It's like going to a normal theater to watch a 3D movie, they don't change the Screen to enable 3D..... and contrary to public opinion, that it requires 3 Projectors.... I don't think most theaters are equipped or that technically sound to be able to focus three simultaneous projections onto one screen with such precision. I believe it's actually just the film that has three images on every frame for that sort of a projection, it's pretty much the same like a monitor.
It just bifurcates each frame into the three colors making the image look like it has three ghosts ....... so when you check it out through the RC glasses just 2 planes get polarized into that One central image, giving you an illusion of the 3D effect....

notty22

Distinguished
They recommend the 120mhz monitor. Heres all the details.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Requirements.html

edit: I understand the software does not stop you from enabling 3dvision in Nvidia control panel with or without a 120mhz monitor.
Also , its the LCD shutter glasses that work with the 120mhz monitors.
Nvidia used to offer those colored filter 'paper' glasses, which work on any monitor. They don't really advertise that route to enjoy 3d vision any more.

Thats what I said, the new monitors of Higher Mhz...... but it's a gimmic..... even the new teles are coming out with the 120mhz........ so it's a new product launching although there is no difference it's only twice the refresh rate of a normal screen, 60Mhz...... think of it logically, did you see lines going up or down the monitor at 60Mhz......??? I don't think so lol.
So you pay more for a step ahead......
What again they're not telling you is , that the life of Liquid Crystal is dependent on the number of times the polarity of the crystals changes.......
So on the logical side of it, if the life of a standard LCD at 60Mhz is one year, the life of the 120Mhz LCD is going to be 6 Months.....
This is what a consumer is never told..........
But it's simply logic.......
Yes, Everyone is going to recommend 120Mhz monitors or Teles....... but it ain't needed......

notty22

Distinguished
Its really not a gimmick any more than what your saying your enjoying. Filter glasses are a lower quality gimmick, then. The shutter glasses let each eye see a separate image which is being refreshed at 2x a normal rate. Its the glasses working in conjunction with the monitor/software to give your BRAIN a better 3d experience.

I'd best leave it to you to try and decipher which is connected to what.....
I guess, my glasses are simple plain cellophane ones and the monitor too is a simple plane 60Mhz one with the 3D software using it to turn a normal game into a 3D one.
No doubt the new refresh rate do make a difference at the highest of resolutions...... but as far as normal resolutions go...... it just isn't worth the added cost cos you really don't see that much of a difference......

notty22

Distinguished
Your filter glasses are covered here http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Discover_Main.html
NV_3DVision_WoW_Visual_FINAL_header.jpg

There is a faq the explains the differences.

Q: What is NVIDIA 3D Vision Discover?
A: NVIDIA 3D Vision Discover is a complete stereoscopic 3D solution consisting of custom 3D drivers, 3D media viewers, and optimized anaglyph red/blue glasses that deliver incredible 3D clarity on any desktop LCD. This solution, when paired with an NVIDIA GeForce GPU, immerses you in a world where games, movies, and photos come to life on screen in eye-popping 3D.

Q: How is this different from the original NVIDIA 3D Vision?
A: The original 3D Vision kit which includes wireless, active shutter glasses were designed for an even more immersive high-definition, hi-fidelity gaming experience and work with 120Hz LCDs and 3D Ready DLPs.

Q: How are 3D Vision Discover glasses different than standard anaglyph red/blue glasses?
A: The 3D Vision Discover glasses are NVIDIA custom designed anaglyph red/blue glasses, with optimized lens filters to maximize the stereoscopic 3D effect. These filters are calibrated to enable stereoscopic 3D on any desktop display while using the GeForce GPU’s programmable shaders for real-time color processing. This solution achieves the high quality anaglyph 3D available by retaining as much color fidelity as possible while eliminating ghosting, completely immersing you in the experience.

They'd used their "fully immersive" tag line even when they launched the simple colored anaglyph glasses . Like a lot of other companies that use this tagline for sound systems.... 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1......... the jump from 2.1 to 5.1 was gr8 , worth the cost.......
but here, I really fail to see how and why? when an anaglyph pair does the trick.

And by the way I do own a 3D Vision set........ home entertainment is good........
Believe me, thats why I say it's a gimmic.......
The rig I told you about is here at my work place and it's really not that different an experience when I use anaglyphs here then using the polaroids at home......Only difference is the Monitors a DLP Samsung Tv.....

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
k so hold up, do you use the 3d vision set with your 60hz LCD? No software blockers or anything?

Not interested at all with the colored anaglyph but i might pick up a set of the 3d vision if you have tried it with a 60hz display.

notty22

Distinguished
The shutter glasses rely on the 120mhz monitor. PERIOD. How can you expect the 3d to work correctly when they tell you to use a 120mhz monitor AND YOU DON'T. rofl
The filter glasses block a certain color/light spectrum to give a 3d effect. The shutter glasses manipulate what the eye is seeing via timing from the 120mhz refresh rate.
Are the color filter glasses any good ? Meh, why do you think , all the TV new 3d systems are using shutter glasses and 120 mhz ? Because it gives a better experience.

Nope Have not even thought about trying it with the 60Mhz display. I wouldn't think about it cos the polarization period for a 60Mhz is about 8.3ms and so for the 120Mhz it's going to be lower..... so the shutter glasses aren't going to be able to match the time periods when to change the polarization of those glasses with a 60Mhz Display.

The shutter glasses just reduce time between black to white changing time of the display, it's a sort of delayed polarity change....... so it synchronizes it's timing with the displays timing ..... thereby giving you a smoother change ......

And since you have put the thought in my head , I am now game to try out the 3D Vision set with a 60Hz LCD.... lets see if it works or gives me a headache.....

PS: By the way, they also tell you that Ferrari's are the world fastest cars.... WHY DON'T YOU DRIVE AROUND IN IT IN THE MARKET PLACE ?????? :D LMFAO :pt1cable:

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Any updates on the headache with the 3d vision and 60hz?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Thanks and any more updates if you find a way to get better quality will be appreciated.