Help.............. corei7...............

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I need help with overclocking my core i7 with a software called setfsb. Acording to tomshardware it is the best cpu overclocking tool so I guess it is good.... Anyways my problem is I cant find my PLL/clock gen on my intel fx58m motherboard. Ive been searching through my whole motherboard with a flashlight and I still cant find it. So my question is basically. How do I find it? or is there any other way of identifying the PLL without even opening you case.

Thanks

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I forgot to mention that I downloaded some weird thing and messed around with my bios to unlock overclocking. I think it kinda worked. Before I couldnt see any multiplier settings on my bios. Now I can but I cant get it over 20x. I can just lower it. So if any of you guys know how I can get my multipliers over 20 Id rather do that instead of using a software

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I need help with overclocking my core i7 with a software called setfsb. Acording to tomshardware it is the best cpu overclocking tool so I guess it is good.... Anyways my problem is I cant find my PLL/clock gen on my intel fx58m motherboard. Ive been searching through my whole motherboard with a flashlight and I still cant find it. So my question is basically. How do I find it? or is there any other way of identifying the PLL without even opening the case. I downloaded some weird thing and messed around with my bios to unlock overclocking. I think it kinda worked. Before I couldnt see any multiplier settings on my bios. Now I can but I cant get it over 20x. I can just lower it. So if any of you guys know how I can get my multipliers over 20 Id rather do that instead of using a software.

Hello okini55;

Is your i7 an Extreme Edition? They're the only ones that let you raise the multiplier.
If not, you're out of luck unless your motherboard allows BIOS tweaking of the BCLK (Base Clock).

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

no its a regular core i7 :S

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

how do I do all that??

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I did dude I did. And I searched through my WHOOOLE mobo with a damn flashlight still I cant find it!

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, looking on the mobo for PLL??

Why not just hit the DEL key during POST, and go into your BIOS? In there you will see PLL although you really shouldn't change the voltage for it... but yeah do your OCing from the BIOS.

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

dude thats the problem!! I cant this is an Acer prebuilt PC and the bios is locked. SO I downloaded some stuff and managed to unlock it but now I cant increase the multipliers. And lol how do I see my PLL from the bios??

Oh I see. In that case I can't really help you, I've never tried unlocking a BIOS.

Why do you need to know your PLL? Phase Locked Loop isn't really related to OCing, as wikipedia says: "A phase-locked loop or phase lock loop (PLL) is a control system that tries to generate an output signal whose phase is related to the phase of the input "reference" signal. A phase-locked loop circuit compares the phase of the input signal with a phase signal derived from its output oscillator signal and adjusts the frequency of its oscillator to keep the phases matched."

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

Well Im going to try to overclock it with a software called setfsb and for that I need to know my PLL :S