Sign in with
Your question

Help.............. corei7...............

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2010 11:00:24 PM

I need help with overclocking my core i7 with a software called setfsb. Acording to tomshardware it is the best cpu overclocking tool so I guess it is good.... Anyways my problem is I cant find my PLL/clock gen on my intel fx58m motherboard. Ive been searching through my whole motherboard with a flashlight and I still cant find it. So my question is basically. How do I find it? or is there any other way of identifying the PLL without even opening you case.

Thanks

More about : corei7

August 3, 2010 11:02:58 PM

I forgot to mention that I downloaded some weird thing and messed around with my bios to unlock overclocking. I think it kinda worked. Before I couldnt see any multiplier settings on my bios. Now I can but I cant get it over 20x. I can just lower it. So if any of you guys know how I can get my multipliers over 20 Id rather do that instead of using a software
August 3, 2010 11:39:55 PM

comon help me ffs...
Related resources
August 4, 2010 5:32:42 PM

I need help with overclocking my core i7 with a software called setfsb. Acording to tomshardware it is the best cpu overclocking tool so I guess it is good.... Anyways my problem is I cant find my PLL/clock gen on my intel fx58m motherboard. Ive been searching through my whole motherboard with a flashlight and I still cant find it. So my question is basically. How do I find it? or is there any other way of identifying the PLL without even opening the case. I downloaded some weird thing and messed around with my bios to unlock overclocking. I think it kinda worked. Before I couldnt see any multiplier settings on my bios. Now I can but I cant get it over 20x. I can just lower it. So if any of you guys know how I can get my multipliers over 20 Id rather do that instead of using a software.
a c 203 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 7:03:31 PM

Hello okini55;

Is your i7 an Extreme Edition? They're the only ones that let you raise the multiplier.
If not, you're out of luck unless your motherboard allows BIOS tweaking of the BCLK (Base Clock).
a c 81 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 7:14:37 PM

Assuming you are running an i7 920, its 2.66 GHz clock rating is achieved by having a base clock of 133 MHz with a 20X multiplier setting..
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 7:26:41 PM

20x is the max generally on these cores. You might get 21x if you enable EIST on Auto....

To OC you'll have to increase your base clock.
August 4, 2010 11:22:53 PM

WR2 said:
Hello okini55;

Is your i7 an Extreme Edition? They're the only ones that let you raise the multiplier.
If not, you're out of luck unless your motherboard allows BIOS tweaking of the BCLK (Base Clock).

no its a regular core i7 :S
August 4, 2010 11:23:10 PM

wolfram23 said:
20x is the max generally on these cores. You might get 21x if you enable EIST on Auto....

To OC you'll have to increase your base clock.

how do I do all that??
August 4, 2010 11:23:26 PM

and how do I find my motherboard PLL??
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 11:40:44 PM

use google okini, you have been here long enough to know this
August 5, 2010 12:07:12 AM

mindless728 said:
use google okini, you have been here long enough to know this

I did dude I did. And I searched through my WHOOOLE mobo with a damn flashlight still I cant find it!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2010 12:36:03 AM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Help with overclocking core i7 920!!!!
    a b à CPUs
    a c 100 K Overclocking
    a b V Motherboard
    August 5, 2010 5:09:15 AM

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, looking on the mobo for PLL??

Why not just hit the DEL key during POST, and go into your BIOS? In there you will see PLL although you really shouldn't change the voltage for it... but yeah do your OCing from the BIOS.
    August 5, 2010 11:58:23 AM

wolfram23 said:
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, looking on the mobo for PLL??

Why not just hit the DEL key during POST, and go into your BIOS? In there you will see PLL although you really shouldn't change the voltage for it... but yeah do your OCing from the BIOS.

dude thats the problem!! I cant this is an Acer prebuilt PC and the bios is locked. SO I downloaded some stuff and managed to unlock it but now I cant increase the multipliers. And lol how do I see my PLL from the bios??
    a b à CPUs
    a c 100 K Overclocking
    a b V Motherboard
    August 5, 2010 2:25:26 PM

Oh I see. In that case I can't really help you, I've never tried unlocking a BIOS.

Why do you need to know your PLL? Phase Locked Loop isn't really related to OCing, as wikipedia says: "A phase-locked loop or phase lock loop (PLL) is a control system that tries to generate an output signal whose phase is related to the phase of the input "reference" signal. A phase-locked loop circuit compares the phase of the input signal with a phase signal derived from its output oscillator signal and adjusts the frequency of its oscillator to keep the phases matched."
    August 5, 2010 2:44:18 PM

wolfram23 said:
    Oh I see. In that case I can't really help you, I've never tried unlocking a BIOS.

Why do you need to know your PLL? Phase Locked Loop isn't really related to OCing, as wikipedia says: "A phase-locked loop or phase lock loop (PLL) is a control system that tries to generate an output signal whose phase is related to the phase of the input "reference" signal. A phase-locked loop circuit compares the phase of the input signal with a phase signal derived from its output oscillator signal and adjusts the frequency of its oscillator to keep the phases matched."

Well Im going to try to overclock it with a software called setfsb and for that I need to know my PLL :S
    a b à CPUs
    a b V Motherboard
    August 5, 2010 3:44:52 PM

well, unless you can find it through searching or someone magically knows it here, you might have to try to contact intel which may or may not get what you want
    !