roxel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
so, I just built a new rig... I know nothing on how to change timings around..

I don't think that my computer is running the RAM at its posted speeds...

Is DRAM associated with my ram right? well it says 1066mhz, isnt it supposed to be 2000mhz?

I got these.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104178

well i went deeper into the ram settings and at the top is says 7-7-7-20 as my timings, or what i think would be my timings... I looked up what the timings for this ram is and its supposed to be 9-10-9-27...

What I'm getting at, is I don't really know how to change my timings or get the ram to be running at the speed its supposed to...

My MOBO is the P6X58D PREMIUM..

roxel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
5o9zkg.jpg

***, and this CPU-Z says 8-8-8-20 for my timings...

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The memory controller on the i7 processor you're running only supports RAM up to 1066MHz by default. So what happens is the memory controller and BIOS automatically default to that speed, instead of running your RAM at 2000MHz.

If you want to raise your memory clock speed past that point you'll have to either raise the BCLK, or enable an XMP profile, which, depending on your motherboard, may also raise your BCLK.

On your motherboard with your current settings in order to find the final RAM speed you take your BCLK and multiply it by 8, that'll be the speed at which your RAM will run at. If you want to enable an XMP profile you'll have to go to the AI Tweaker tab in the BIOS and set the AI Tuner setting to XMP. After you did that you'll be ready to enable XMP. To overclock by the BCLK set the AI Tuner setting to manual or D.O.C.P.

Now, because your CPU speed is determined by multiplying your BCLK by the CPU multiplier, as a result if you increase you BCLK you'll also raise your CPU speed as a side effect. Not that doing so is a bad thing.