openbox

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello I'm just a newbie. I just want to ask something because next week I'm going to buy a new tower and I am getting troubled in deciding what processor to buy. what is the difference of core 2 quad, i5 & i7? and is it true that AMD processor get heat faster than Intel processor? I want a 24/7 PC and what processor must I choose Intel or AMD?

Solution

Classic video, too bad it's way out dated hard ware, and some people still argue modern Athlons will over heat and die with a heatsink because of this video. :lol:

@openbox

Currently, Intel holds the performance crown, and their processors are faster clock for clock and core for core. However when you look at price, AMD is very competitive with many of their products and actually offer better performance/dollar at many price points. The I5/I7 perform better than Phenom II X4, but you can't get an I7 for...

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
core 2 quad has a different architecture to the i5 750/ i7's, the later being more powerful because of this.

AMD's tend to be better value for money then the Intels, but on a core vs core basis the will lose out (at this point in time).

What are you planning on using the system for?

openbox

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
@Flamingggerbil & loneninja: Which is better? AMD or Intel???? I'm planning to buy AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4ghz 4x512kb 8mb Quad-Core because this is much cheaper than Intel. My worry is that i heard few years ago that AMD is prone to overheating???

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
AMD's processors don't overheat. Both companies make good processors.
AMD is usually better for price for performance while intel is faster core per core.
What are you planning to do with the computer? If it's just light work, AMD is the way to go.

loneninja

Distinguished

Classic video, too bad it's way out dated hard ware, and some people still argue modern Athlons will over heat and die with a heatsink because of this video. :lol:

@openbox

Currently, Intel holds the performance crown, and their processors are faster clock for clock and core for core. However when you look at price, AMD is very competitive with many of their products and actually offer better performance/dollar at many price points. The I5/I7 perform better than Phenom II X4, but you can't get an I7 for $140 while you can get a Phenom II X4. Personally I find the I5-750 to offer great performance/dollar, it's better than most AMD processors at stock, and overclocked can easily beat the Phenom II X4 and rival the Phenom II X6.

I personally have a Phenom II X4 940, reason I have it is I got my cpu/motherboard/ram all for about $280 early 09 while an I7 alone would have cost $290. I really miss getting 4Gb of ram for $45. :lol:

Solution