Wireless Speed Woes

Sytrus

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hello all,

I've been experiencing absolutely awful speeds out of my wireless card as of late. When hard wired, I get around 21Mbps from my Comcast connection, but when using wireless, I generally get < 3Mbps at any distance from the router.

Here's my card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124297
Yes, it's a pretty badly reviewed card, but most of the negative reviews are from people who couldn't get it to work whatsoever. It worked fine for me on Win7 32bit - just plug and play.

I know it's not the router that is at fault here, because a housemate of mine who uses an Apple laptop gets > 19Mbps via a wireless connection.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I'm really at a loss with anything dealing with networking. And if worse comes to worse and there is absolutely no solution, can you recommend a cheap, reliable wireless card that is capable of decent range?

Thanks for your time!

Solution
G
We're all doomed. To be honest 3mbps via wireless isn't the end of the world.

A few years ago an engineer for one of the brand leaders admitted that at best you'd get half the speed of wired minus a ton for poor range or interference.

G

Before spending money, regardless of your comments about range, I would look at issues of reception. Try raising the router above furnishings, experiment with channels because the different frequencies work better or worse according to environs. If you notice strong neighbouring wifi switch to a channels 5 stops from the strongest

Sytrus

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Unfortunately, moving the router and PC around didn't improve the situation. Additionally, I brought my PC to a completely different house to test it using their router, and I'm getting the exact same speeds.

Am I doomed?

G

We're all doomed. To be honest 3mbps via wireless isn't the end of the world.

A few years ago an engineer for one of the brand leaders admitted that at best you'd get half the speed of wired minus a ton for poor range or interference.

Solution