Sign in with
Your question

Next generation of AMD desktop processors

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2010 7:16:44 PM

Can someone give me a summary or any info on the next generation of AMD processors??

Will the socket type still be AM3??
Projected release dates & specs??

or a link with this info?? thanks
August 4, 2010 7:18:37 PM

It will be AM3 8 core whoop ass cpu codenamed "Bulldozer" it pwn the sandyballs intel processor
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2010 8:17:25 PM

Everything about bulldozer and bobcat is just rumor and speculation until AMD puts out a real press release.
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2010 8:54:14 PM

About the only thing known is what came from AMD's roadmaps. AM3r2 socket with DDR3 memory support and up to 8 cores to release some time in 2011. Most everything else is speculation, and unconfirmed by AMD.
m
l
August 4, 2010 9:01:07 PM

okay thanks everyone for the info. i googled bulldozer, read the wikipedia & amd blog..

so will current AM3 motherboards be able to support AM3+ / AM3r2??
m
l
August 4, 2010 9:02:54 PM

lets hope so
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 10:03:41 PM

loneninja said:
About the only thing known is what came from AMD's roadmaps. AM3r2 socket with DDR3 memory support and up to 8 cores to release some time in 2011. Most everything else is speculation, and unconfirmed by AMD.

Which roadmap/news source have you seen that says AM3r2 socket in it?

All i seen out of the news and the road map (the current one that im aware of is this one back from the end of last year) hasn't said anything about AM3r2...

As for you're question badboyeee
Quote:
so will current AM3 motherboards be able to support AM3+ / AM3r2??

Would AM3 motherboard be they be able to use AM3+/AM3r2 if such a socket/cpu comes out. Most likely but we cant be positive on the situation at the moment.

Lets hope at this Hotchips conferance AMD spills more beans about bulldozer.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=153843#p153843

Quote:
By the way, AMD will be talking more about Bulldozer this month at HotChips conference at (well well) Stanford Uni on 22-24th of August. They will talk as well about Bobcat and Llano.
So much exciting stuff coming end of this year- start of next hopefully software devs are getting ready for them.

If they do, we might be able to say yes, no, or whats a AM3+/Am3r2 socket :D  ......

m
l
August 4, 2010 10:33:02 PM

Okay cool, hopefully I can wait by then.. im itchin' to start building a new system hehe :D  .. so i guess my pending plan is to get DDR3 ram and an AM3 motherboard with NB8XXX so i can be ready for bulldozer in a year or so from now..

Too bad the HotChips conference isnt the weekend of aug 28th, i will be in NorCal...
m
l
August 5, 2010 12:09:06 AM

i can't wait for DDR4 in 2012.. it's suppose to start at 1.1v and go as low as 0.9v once tuned. but yeah.. BD will be some nice competition for Intel.. this may turn into the K8 vs the P3.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 8:39:21 AM

Lol warmon its's ok, we all miss things sometime. XD But ummm... All of it is currently very unclear as AMD hasn't fully confirmed anything other than the road map. They'll probably release the Zambezi though when they finish the 6XXX series, it's a possibility.
m
l
!