Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Processor Query

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 4, 2010 7:23:42 PM

Hey everyone. I've been reading and lurking on this forum for a while. I am still pretty new to the DIY PC. My brother who is an electrical engineer has gotten me into it. Well him, and a terrible outcome with an HP I bought just over a year ago. I bought an HP Pavillion Elite M9400F and the hard drive tanked about 10 weeks after the warranty expired. It has a Phenom X4 9750 with Radeon HD 3650 graphics. Nothing special, but worked great for what I did use it for when it was running.

I am planning to build a new system within the next few months, so I have been looking around, doing some research, and it is my understanding that when building a system the processor is the first thing you must decide on. That is my issue, as I am stuck between 2 CPUs.

Do I go i7 920 or Phenom II x4 965?

I am looking to build a system that won't require massive upgrading for at least 2 or 3 years, though if possible I would prefer even longer. I am on a budget though it isn't specific. I just like saving money, and lower cost would get approval from my wife. That an I am an active duty enlisted soldier, so I am not a rich man.

The requirements aren't iron clad, but they aren't vague either. This system will be used for gaming, movie/photo editing, and ripping. I am replacing the blown up hard drive on my old system and will be using that for a more general web surfing/movies type family pc. I decided this after finding out that the processor doesn't support DDR3 and that the platform in general is not really all that upgrade friendly. Maybe I am wrong. That is why I am appealing to you all.

Do I got i7 or Phenom II?

Thank you all in advance.

George

More about : processor query

a c 81 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 7:46:45 PM

As you would already be knowing, both those processors are from different platforms.. Individually, both those platforms are capable enough to carry your needs for the next three years without requiring any massive updates.. The Phenom II however would suit you better.. The reasons being -

1. The overall platform is cheaper

2. AM3 has a more lively future with next gen processors being speculated to be compatible with the current generation platform.. Thus, down the line you can just go in for a processor upgrade (if you feel the need for it) without changing any other system components.. I'd however recommend you to start with the Phenom II X6 1055T..
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 7:57:01 PM

Emperus said:
As you would already be knowing, both those processors are from different platforms.. Individually, both those platforms are capable enough to carry your needs for the next three years without requiring any massive updates.. The Phenom II however would suit you better.. The reasons being -

1. The overall platform is cheaper

2. AM3 has a more lively future with next gen processors being speculated to be compatible with the current generation platform.. Thus, down the line you can just go in for a processor upgrade (if you feel the need for it) without changing any other system components.. I'd however recommend you to start with the Phenom II X6 1055T..



So the X4 is no good?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 8:00:02 PM

The X4 965 is fine,
hes just being wary of the future and trying to plan ahead for you, nice chap that Emperus is :) 
I agree with him, the AMD is the better option imo for you
Moto
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 8:02:50 PM

lol.... AMD much more future proof ? AMD have only just caught up with the performance levels of the old Core 2 range - let alone the i7 / i5 chips.

m
0
l
August 4, 2010 8:26:11 PM

I will have to look into that. Thanks. The AMD is attractive considering the price of the components. My preliminary AMD build list is as follows:

Phenom II X4 965 (though now I am looking at the X6)
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/Usb3 Mobo
XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1333C8 XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (upgrade to 8gb soon though)
FX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition Modular Power Supply or a Corsair TX 650
Antec 902 or Cooler MAster HAF 922 case.

I am not sure what dvd drive to get yet.

It is a running list and definitely not final.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 8:58:37 PM

ulysses35 said:
lol.... AMD much more future proof ? AMD have only just caught up with the performance levels of the old Core 2 range - let alone the i7 / i5 chips.



Amd socket longevity vs intel performance =???? :pfff: 

What do those 2 thing have in common? That what you're putting them as......


Also where have you been? :heink: 

If you're taking about a single threaded to just a few threaded apps (a.k., up to 4 cores), then yes thats the case of Core i's are better than the Phenom II's

Although Multi threaded apps can run better on a Phenom II x6 than a quad core i7.






http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-10...


Depend on what you do, how long you want it to last, and if you want an upgradeable path that makes the difference between cpu's.



Lets not forget we also have Sandy Bridge cpu's from intel and Bulldozer from AMD some time at the end of this year on to bringing of next year. :sol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 9:09:55 PM

dergasmash said:
I will have to look into that. Thanks. The AMD is attractive considering the price of the components. My preliminary AMD build list is as follows:

Phenom II X4 965 (though now I am looking at the X6)
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/Usb3 Mobo
XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1333C8 XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (upgrade to 8gb soon though)
FX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition Modular Power Supply or a Corsair TX 650
Antec 902 or Cooler MAster HAF 922 case.

I am not sure what dvd drive to get yet.

It is a running list and definitely not final.


Looks like as good of a build as any. ;) 
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 9:22:52 PM

personally i'd start fromyour current system, upgrade the psu, keep the cpu (it'll be good enough for a while' and upgrade other bits and pieces, gpu/memory/hdd, and you'll have a very serviceable machine, then upgrade mobo and cpu later.
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 2:08:40 AM

13thmonkey- I had thought of that, but it makes more sense to me to spend the $45 for a new HDD and 15 for the recovery disc from HP to restore my current pc back to useable status, and keep it as a general purpose (word processor, web surfing, movies) PC, and then build a new system on a better platform from scratch. That way I'll have two fully functional PCs, so my family can't get mad if I am on a long gaming session, because they can still get online on the older pc.
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 3:23:35 AM

hey i7 is far more superior than x4 965... go for i7....
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 3:58:32 AM

Just a heads up.... everyone on this forum is an AMD/Ati fanboy so you won't get any recommendation for intel/nvidia
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
August 5, 2010 4:47:58 AM

ehanger said:
Just a heads up.... everyone on this forum is an AMD/Ati fanboy so you won't get any recommendation for intel/nvidia


You'd do well to read OP's query first.. Recommendations here do not follow any fanboism..
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 5:06:25 AM

i7 920/930 is a far superior build. In terms of future (gaming/rendering), with the i7/x58 combo you can easily go extreme 975/980 x.

The truth is AMD's top platform is only competing with the i5 platform - at best...
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 5:10:24 AM

Northwolfe said:
i7 920/930 is a far superior build. In terms of future (gaming/rendering), with the i7/x58 combo you can easily go extreme 975/980 x.

The truth is AMD's top platform is only competing with the i5 platform - at best...

ya i agree.... amd is just trying to be in the competition.... :ange: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 5:29:59 AM

to the OP i would recommend the Antec 300 illusion, it is a great case for a good price, around 60 dollars

it comes with a nice fan setup and nice lighting


as for the last 4 posts^^

are all by ignorant people who don't know how to spend money

for you i would recommend the same x4 965 and the 5770.....which you have.....other than taht i have no other suggestions.

you don't need an i7 here, cuz the phenom II is only 3-4 frames behind and it is still above 60 FPS so you won't really notice much of a difference in that range

the i7 is pointless in this situation
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 7:55:13 PM

ehanger said:
Just a heads up.... everyone on this forum is an AMD/Ati fanboy so you won't get any recommendation for intel/nvidia


And thats why i only have computers with Intel and Nvidia hardware inside my house.... Because im a AMD/ATI fanboy....... [:mousemonkey:5]


Learn the difference between "Fanboy" and what some one thinks is better for the situation. Making a statement like that only make you look like a fanboy you're self. :p 



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 3:45:38 AM

same here

i am running a tualatin desktop and a Core 2 duo on a laptop
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 5:51:17 AM

fanboy is the one who never thought abt the situation and only recommend his fav product... not even bother to think on both sides of coin........ beware of such ppl's....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 2:10:16 PM

beware of yourself
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 2:21:03 PM

Upendra09 said:
beware of yourself

i don't need to....... :kaola: 
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 5:18:43 PM

I really don't have a preference. The pc I had before my last one had an Intel CPU and NVIDIA graphics. I don't remember the exact parts. Either way they both did their job. I'm not trying to have a cutting edge pc, I just want a solid system with good performance, and won't need any upgrades for a few years. The attractive part of AMD is the price point.
m
0
l
!