Internet Shortcuts on Desktop Redirect to Home Page

Hello all.

I have a user who has a unique problem. Any webpage shortcut she creates on her desktop, whether to a page on the company intranet, or a webpage take her instead to her homepage. No idea how long it has been going on.

We have some shared web apps on our servers that have complicated addresses so I like the users to have shortcuts to them... storing them as favorites works, but I would still like to find a resolution to the issue at hand.

It is an XP Pro machine fully updated. I appreciate your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about internet shortcuts desktop redirect home page
  1. The link below suggests you check the file associations for the shortcuts and to make sure the links are associated with the browser you use.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_xp/why-do-all-ie-desktop-shortcuts-redirect-to-home/1ad871a8-a10d-4f34-a02c-cc8e70eaac4c?msgId=84bf0a1a-b089-4cf6-831b-3f513d757b8b
  2. parallax1978 said:
    Hello all.

I have a user who has a unique problem. Any webpage shortcut she creates on her desktop, whether to a page on the company intranet, or a webpage take her instead to her homepage. No idea how long it has been going on.

We have some shared web apps on our servers that have complicated addresses so I like the users to have shortcuts to them... storing them as favorites works, but I would still like to find a resolution to the issue at hand.

It is an XP Pro machine fully updated. I appreciate your help.

Did you look at the shortcuts? Do they actually point to the right locations?
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Internet Windows XP