Sign in with
Your question

Laptop won't boot - xp

Last response: in Windows XP
February 25, 2013 7:33:32 PM

my laptop has xp. I messed up something in setup and now it won't come on at all. A little orange light blinks 5 times and that's it. The screen stays black.

iw

More about : laptop boot

February 25, 2013 10:24:07 PM

try repair the windows...
m
l
a c 205 D Laptop
February 27, 2013 3:25:23 AM

What is this "something" that you did, and what do you mean in "setup"? When you were installing it? What is the icon by the orange light?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2013 4:12:27 PM

hang-the-9 said:
What is this "something" that you did, and what do you mean in "setup"? When you were installing it? What is the icon by the orange light?

It's working now and I got all the drivers except one. Audio.

Here's the something I did.

I bought a laptop with Win7 home premium. It was such a pain I wiped win7 and installed xp. It took a long time to find the drivers but I finally got it working so I could get online. However, xp will not recognize the soundcard. I am told that conexant is actually part of the motherboard and not a soundcard. XP simply won't recognize it, so I have no sound.

There's another strange thing. Whenever I start up it says there is a usb device hooked up, when there is no usb device hooked up. I suspect it is recognizing the soundcard/chipset as a usb device.

Also, xp doesn't seem to recognize the touchpad as mouse. The cursor skips around the page if I accidentally touch it while typing.

indywim
m
l
a c 205 D Laptop
March 10, 2013 1:51:59 PM

indywim said:
It's working now and I got all the drivers except one. Audio.

Here's the something I did.

I bought a laptop with Win7 home premium. It was such a pain I wiped win7 and installed xp. It took a long time to find the drivers but I finally got it working so I could get online. However, xp will not recognize the soundcard. I am told that conexant is actually part of the motherboard and not a soundcard. XP simply won't recognize it, so I have no sound.

There's another strange thing. Whenever I start up it says there is a usb device hooked up, when there is no usb device hooked up. I suspect it is recognizing the soundcard/chipset as a usb device.

Also, xp doesn't seem to recognize the touchpad as mouse. The cursor skips around the page if I accidentally touch it while typing.

indywim

This explains things, if you try to put an operating system on a laptop without official drivers from the vendor for it, not all things will work right. You should be able to lower the sensitivity of the touchpad in the mouse options. And an external USB sound card will get you audio back. Or just install Windows 7 again. It's a better operating system than XP.
m
l
!