Copy/backup/compress images on disk...

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 13, 2004 3:09:13 AM

OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150 GB of
files on this disk right now.

I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big enough
to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...

I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want it
compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't work.
And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file size...

So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three or four
free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and hit the
same 4 GB limit...

I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that won't
protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup nightly...

Ideas?
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:05:29 AM

dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
> OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150 GB of
> files on this disk right now.
>
> I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big enough
> to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>
> I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want it
> compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't work.
> And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file size...
>
> So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three or four
> free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and hit the
> same 4 GB limit...
>
> I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that won't
> protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup nightly...
>
> Ideas?

First, if your images are already compressed, such as .TIFF files with
LZW compression, or .jpg files, then compressing them any more with
Winzip type compression is unlikely. Worse, making very large
compressed files increases the risk of data loss. Best alternative is
to just make a simple copy of the files to the backup disk.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

> OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150 GB of
> files on this disk right now.
>
> I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big enough
> to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>
> I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want it
> compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't work.
> And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file size...
>
> So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three or four
> free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and hit the
> same 4 GB limit...
>
> I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that won't
> protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup nightly...
>
> Ideas?

Hi...

Can't speak for the others (the real pro's :)  but I use
and love Acronis True Image...

In case you haven't tried it, it makes a mirror of the
entire disk compressing it to the level you prefer...

I make a full backup once a month, and do incremental backups
every few days - or whenever something consequential has been
added.

There was, and I believe still is, a trial version available
if you'd like to check it out.

Take care.

Ken
December 13, 2004 9:16:14 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:16:13 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
>
>> OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150 GB of
>> files on this disk right now.
>>
>> I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big enough
>> to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>>
>> I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want it
>> compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't work.
>> And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file size...
>>
>> So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three or four
>> free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and hit the
>> same 4 GB limit...
>>
>> I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that won't
>> protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup nightly...
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>Hi...
>
>Can't speak for the others (the real pro's :)  but I use
>and love Acronis True Image...
>
>In case you haven't tried it, it makes a mirror of the
>entire disk compressing it to the level you prefer...
>
>I make a full backup once a month, and do incremental backups
>every few days - or whenever something consequential has been
>added.
>
>There was, and I believe still is, a trial version available
>if you'd like to check it out.
>
>Take care.
>
>Ken

Ken, I have always believed that photo image files really can't be
compressed to any great extent.
Have I been wrong?
BTW, I just got True Image yesterday; I've been using Drive Image
forever, but now that it's gone, I decided to try TI. Is it really as
easy as it seems?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:16:13 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150
>>> GB of
>>> files on this disk right now.
>>>
>>> I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big
>>> enough
>>> to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>>>
>>> I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I
>>> want it
>>> compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't
>>> work.
>>> And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file
>>> size...
>>>
>>> So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three
>>> or four
>>> free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and
>>> hit the
>>> same 4 GB limit...
>>>
>>> I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that
>>> won't
>>> protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup
>>> nightly...
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>
>>Hi...
>>
>>Can't speak for the others (the real pro's :)  but I use
>>and love Acronis True Image...
>>
>>In case you haven't tried it, it makes a mirror of the
>>entire disk compressing it to the level you prefer...
>>
>>I make a full backup once a month, and do incremental backups
>>every few days - or whenever something consequential has been
>>added.
>>
>>There was, and I believe still is, a trial version available
>>if you'd like to check it out.
>>
>>Take care.
>>
>>Ken
>
> Ken, I have always believed that photo image files really can't be
> compressed to any great extent.
> Have I been wrong?
> BTW, I just got True Image yesterday; I've been using Drive Image
> forever, but now that it's gone, I decided to try TI. Is it really as
> easy as it seems?
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

I tried zipping photo files for upload to a web site and didn't reduce the
size noticeably. I think that on 50 mbs of data, it saved less than 1 mb.

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:04:49 PM

> dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
>... Worse, making very large
> compressed files increases the risk of data loss. Best alternative is
> to just make a simple copy of the files to the backup disk.

Good advice. It is possible, with a large zip file, for a small amount
of data loss to make the whole file unreadable. Since the zip compression
isn't buying you anything anyway, a straight copy will be safer, and also
much, much faster.

Alan
December 13, 2004 6:14:15 PM

"Don Dunlap" <dondunlapremve@direcway.com> wrote in message

> "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:16:13 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:

>>>Hi...
>>>
>>>Can't speak for the others (the real pro's :)  but I use
>>>and love Acronis True Image...
>>>
>>>In case you haven't tried it, it makes a mirror of the
>>>entire disk compressing it to the level you prefer...
>>>
>>>I make a full backup once a month, and do incremental backups
>>>every few days - or whenever something consequential has been
>>>added.
>>>
>>>There was, and I believe still is, a trial version available
>>>if you'd like to check it out.
>>>
>>>Take care.
>>>
>>>Ken
>>
>> Ken, I have always believed that photo image files really can't be
>> compressed to any great extent.
>> Have I been wrong?
>> BTW, I just got True Image yesterday; I've been using Drive Image
>> forever, but now that it's gone, I decided to try TI. Is it really as
>> easy as it seems?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> Change "g" to "a"
>
> I tried zipping photo files for upload to a web site and didn't reduce the
> size noticeably. I think that on 50 mbs of data, it saved less than 1 mb.
>
> Don Dunlap

Picture files are already compressed, you can't compress them anymore.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:38:28 PM

Big Bill wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:16:13 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
>>

>>>OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150 GB of
>>>files on this disk right now.
>>>
>>>I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big enough
>>>to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>>>
>>>I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want it
>>>compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't work.
>>>And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file size...
>>>
>>>So, HOW are people out there backing up their images? I've tried three or four
>>>free backup utilities but they mostly seem to just make zip files, and hit the
>>>same 4 GB limit...
>>>
>>>I WAS going to set these up as RAID mirror drives until I realized that won't
>>>protect me from MY stupidity so I'd rather just do a copy/backup nightly...
>>>
>>>Ideas?
>>
>>Hi...
>>
>>Can't speak for the others (the real pro's :)  but I use
>>and love Acronis True Image...
>>
>>In case you haven't tried it, it makes a mirror of the
>>entire disk compressing it to the level you prefer...
>>
>>I make a full backup once a month, and do incremental backups
>>every few days - or whenever something consequential has been
>>added.
>>
>>There was, and I believe still is, a trial version available
>>if you'd like to check it out.
>>
>>Take care.
>>
>>Ken
>

> Ken, I have always believed that photo image files really can't be
> compressed to any great extent.
> Have I been wrong?
> BTW, I just got True Image yesterday; I've been using Drive Image
> forever, but now that it's gone, I decided to try TI. Is it really as
> easy as it seems?

Hi Bill...

I think it's about the best thing since - uhm - I forget -
whatwas the best thing before sliced bread? :)
Couldn't be simpler to use.

Can't compress much what's already compressed... like
jpeg's, but if you're saving uncompressed tiff's (as I do)
then they squeeze up pretty good..

I have about 8 gigs of whatever (no pics) on C; that compresses
down to (just barely) one dvd.

Speaking of drive c, though, just a heads up. If you're using
the trial version, you can't restore drive c from the
boot floppy/cd in one swell foop. You can only accomplish
that by creating a virtual drive and copying files one
by one. That naturally from dos breaks the long filenames,
so you have to "repair" them individually. Frustrating.
It will let you restore any drive other than c.

Take care.

Ken
December 13, 2004 7:57:41 PM

<dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK, I've got a 200GB disk that has images on it. Lets say there are 150
GB of
> files on this disk right now.
>
> I've got ANOTHER drive to use for a "backup" drive... 160 GB so its big
enough
> to take the entire image disk and some incrementals...
>
> I'd like to backup the entire disk of images to the backup drive. I want
it
> compressed like a zip file would be - which means Windows backup won't
work.
> And, I can't use the regular winzip 'cause it has a 4GB limit on file
size...

Winzip 9 has virtually no limits on size.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:19:57 PM

>From: Big Bill bill@pipping.com

> I have always believed that photo image files really can't be
>compressed to any great extent.
>Have I been wrong?

If you have Photoshop or similar try saving your 8 bit/channel tiff files with
LZW compression ... I found the LZW'ed file was generally 30-70% the size of
the original so yes, you can save a great deal of space. The trade-off is the
files will open slower and also many applications won't open LZW compressed
tiffs at all.

16 bit/channel files don't compress well, if at all. Jpegs are already
compressed. Using the ZIP option in Photoshop seemed to compress tiffs a bit
more than LZW.

Bill
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:04:34 AM

>Winzip 9 has virtually no limits on size.

I just checked and my version of winzip is 8.1 so I'll have to get a new
version.......

Also, I haven't tried True Image, which I'll download and play with tomorrow,
but I finally found a sort-of backup that zips and doesn't hit the size limit...

Its Back4Win and I"m gonna try backing up the whole photo drive to the backup
drive tonight. I'll see how much compression I get...

Are photoshop files compressed - the .psd?
!