Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to DDR3 mobo with socket 775?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2011 2:34:11 AM

Hi all! I believe this is my first post. I have been reading and learning a lot of things here. I just want to ask recommendations and advice from the experts around here. So here's the deal; I am planning to upgrade my mobo to a ddr3 type but I'm not sure if it's really a good idea. I have read many old posts that say it is useless to do so, but I have read a few replies from a bit newer posts saying that there are new boards now that offer a difference, so now I am confuse. I want to upgrade because I want to try windows 7 64-bit. I don't overclock but I would like to start learning now.

This is my current setup:
Intel E7500
2gb ddr2 800
P5KPL-AM SE
9500 GT
Generic Power supply

I want to try i5 soon but I would probably have to wait for many months to afford it so I'm staying with this build for a while. I want to upgrade mobo and Ram to ddr3, keeping the rest the same, so would you suggest me to go for it or just add another 2gb ram? If I go for the upgrade what mobo should I buy? Can somebody please give me more details as to why or why not?
Looking forward for your help here. Thank you very much!
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 25, 2011 2:52:03 AM

Just add more memory to your present motherboard.

(Attention purists, I'm simplifying a little :) ):
Because the memory controller of a Core2 system is located in the chipset, a Core2 system cannot use the full potential memory bandwidth of DDR3 RAM. Core2 CPU's use an FSB to the chipset for i/o to the CPU. Everything goes through the chipset.

i3's, i5's, and i7's have the memory controller inside the CPU and a direct path to memory. This greatly increases the memory bandwidth available

Any performance gains will be minimal.
m
l
!