a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2010 3:50:42 AM

Hah, cool
m
l
April 29, 2010 4:50:05 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but gta 4 looks like a pile of *miscellaneous cr*p*

I dunno, I think it looks good. I wish it had AA, but other then that I think it's an awsome game. Just most people don't have hardware to crank it up, so most people have to run it near console quality.

You ever play the console versions? Ever notice how when your in the heli, everything gets blurry, and the cars just become glowing orbs of light in the distance? Check out these screens on the pc. Huge difference. Look, you can actually see the cars even way in the distance.

Click image twice to resize, resizes to 1920 x 1200.

m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2010 4:36:21 PM

Wow those screen shots are SICK :o  !! Wow you just reaffirmed my wanting to get a GTX 480! I have been waiting for them to come out for a while, now just need to save up in get one. I was thinking about maybe getting 2 GTX 470's instead of just one 480, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?
m
l
April 29, 2010 5:56:06 PM

Could use a little more AA. You could probably force some through your drivers.
m
l
April 29, 2010 6:05:11 PM

what framerate are you getting with the GTX480
m
l
April 29, 2010 6:11:50 PM

bosey85 said:
Wow those screen shots are SICK :o  !! Wow you just reaffirmed my wanting to get a GTX 480! I have been waiting for them to come out for a while, now just need to save up in get one. I was thinking about maybe getting 2 GTX 470's instead of just one 480, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

I would go with the gtx 480, the 1536mb will give it an advantage over two 470 in future games. (unless your budget prohibits you, or if you don't mind running lower resolutions.) You can always go with two 480's in the future. GTA IV uses like 1440 (? not at home so don't remember exact) VRAM at max settings @ 1920 x 1200.

rofl_my_waffle said:
Could use a little more AA. You could probably force some through your drivers.

Nope. Can't even force AA as GTA IV was designed on the consoles and ported to the pc, and unfortunately, they didn't design AA into the game engine. So only way it will ever work, is if they patch it in. :cry: 
m
l
April 29, 2010 6:22:17 PM

mindless728 said:
what framerate are you getting with the GTX480

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286312-33-8800-upgrad...

Well, when I benched it I was getting 64.79 FPS average. But when I'm playing it gets anywhere from 30FPS to 60FPS, i'd say average around 40 FPS on max settings. Either way, it's very very smooth. I work in a pawn shop, and we have a ps3 and xbox 360 set up at work on a panasonic 50" 1080p plasma tv. I play GTA IV on both of them all the time, and the difference in quality is amazing on the pc. When playing the consoles the quality is annoying, and seems like it stutters and gets slow down all the time. I could probably get even more fps if I overclocked my pc more, but I need to upgrade my ram as it is bottle necking me.

I love GTA IV, no matter how much you play, you still see things happen that you don't expect. For instance, I seen a cop steel a car, I dragged a guy who was hanging on to my passenger side rear door like 2 blocks, a cop drove under the semi and steered it with the cop car, I seen a pedestrian jump up and hold onto a sign in the street to avoid being hit, I had one guy rip me off my motorcycle when I was doing like 50mph... Game is insane, can't get enough.

Anyone want to play hit me up on steam, I normally play wed, fri, sat nights. Same name as on the forums.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2010 6:23:11 PM

Even on max it still looks like crap, although its a vast improvement from the console version
m
l
April 29, 2010 6:47:59 PM

You can force AA through drivers. Game engines don't indicate what are hard edges to tell your graphics card to do work. It is your graphics card and drivers that detect hard edges and apply AA.

As long you set AA to something in your drivers, your graphics card will know when it is drawing 3D stuff under DirectX and start applying AA.
m
l
April 29, 2010 8:00:10 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
You can force AA through drivers. Game engines don't indicate what are hard edges to tell your graphics card to do work. It is your graphics card and drivers that detect hard edges and apply AA.

As long you set AA to something in your drivers, your graphics card will know when it is drawing 3D stuff under DirectX and start applying AA.

Well, I tried forcing it after I got the game, and even read about it, and many sites said it's not even possible because the engine doesn't support it. But, that was with my old card, haven't tried it with my new card. I'll try it tonight when I get home, since I got new card, new drivers, and games been patched a few times since I tried last time, maybe it'll work. I'll keep ya posted. :D 
m
l
April 30, 2010 3:44:01 AM

rofl_my_waffle said:

Sorry, you are wrong, the game has to have AA designed in the engine. I tried forcing it in the nvidia control panel to 2x AA, 4X AA, 8X AA, and 32X AA, all nothing. :heink:  Didn't effect the looks, or the FPS. Anyone who tells you that forcing AA works either has bad eyes, or they want to believe that it works so bad, that they are lying to themselves, and you. I won't believe it until I see some screen shots. Going from no AA to 32AA didn't do a damn thing, game looks EXACTLY the same, jaggies and all. Sorry.

If anyone finds any way how to enable AA in GTAIV, then please post a link, some screen shots, and PM me, and i'll test it out. Thanks. :D 
m
l
April 30, 2010 6:03:02 AM

I see what happened. They went the extra mile to manually disabled AA since they weren't going to optimize it. They should have just left the option on matter how inefficient it was and let people figure it out.

Anyway there is apparently a third party mod that enables AA. You can read about it here.
As you can see it is really inefficient lol. A 5870 is only pushing 20ish frames using 4x Super Sample AA compared to 60FPS normally without it.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696084/GTA-4-test-Su...

Sorry for the assumption before. I don't play GTA 4 so I thought any game using something like directx can have AA forced. I learned something today.
m
l
April 30, 2010 1:22:47 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I see what happened. They went the extra mile to manually disabled AA since they weren't going to optimize it. They should have just left the option on matter how inefficient it was and let people figure it out.

Anyway there is apparently a third party mod that enables AA. You can read about it here.
As you can see it is really inefficient lol. A 5870 is only pushing 20ish frames using 4x Super Sample AA compared to 60FPS normally without it.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696084/GTA-4-test-Su...

Sorry for the assumption before. I don't play GTA 4 so I thought any game using something like directx can have AA forced. I learned something today.

It's cool. LOL. I heard you can downsample the game that way too, my only worry about modding the game that way is if somehow I would get banned from online like punkbuster does if you mod your files :??: . I don't think it would be worth it to take a hit like that....but...... hmmmm... Maybe I will try it later....not sure yet, thanks though. :D  Good to know something is available if I want to try it.
m
l
May 2, 2010 7:08:11 PM

Quote:
I'd rather just play Just Cause 2 maxed out on my 5870 and attach a car to a helicopter and use it to demolish a couple fuel silos, then be chased by enemy attack helicopters into the ocean, parachute off of the heli, hijack a boat and drive off into the sunset....
All while getting above 50 fps!!!!!

I know, I want to get that game so bad, all I got is the demo right now. :( 
Awsome game, wish it was multiplayer.
m
l
!