Sign in with
Your question

Second HDD not showing

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2012 2:32:38 AM

Hello all,

I am currently using a 240gb SSD as my boot drive and to store my apps, and I want to use my old 2TB drive as a data drive. I have tried several SATA ports (SATA2 and 3), and both the BIOS and Intel Rapid Storage seem to see the drive, but it doesn't show up in My Computer.

I've looked around the forums a bit and see some people have luck with right clicking and using the manage option in My Computer, but it doesn't show up there either...I only see my SSD. I am wondering if this is a problem with IRST? If so, is it possible to disable this? I can't seem to change anything inside of the application itself, and am unsure how to remove/disable it without doing any damage, as I have heard it is used by SATA sometimes. I did not have the 2TB drive plugged in when I installed everything.

Note, it does have windows installed, but I want to format the drive and use it for storage only.

Components:

i5 3570k
ASROCK Extreme6 z77 Mobo
16gb Corsair 1600
Corsair Force 3 240gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Gigabyte 670gtx
Seasonic 1050w

Right now the SSD is plugged into a SATA 3 running AHCI, and the HDD is plugged into a SATA 2.

Thanks!

Bryan

More about : hdd showing

a b G Storage
July 23, 2012 3:16:58 AM

go to disk management and make sure the 2 TB drive has a partition and that its formatted as NTFS.
m
l
July 23, 2012 11:43:02 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Sadly, the drive is not showing in disk management, only the SSD. The drive does show in bios and Intel rapid storage. I also booted from it once to confirm that it was working, so I know it isn't dead.
m
l
!