Pixel Errors and Black Screen

Shawmut

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I have just recently been getting random pixel errors on my one LCD screen. It basically looks like a "snow" of randomly colored pixes flashing all over the screen. The screen is still readable, it just has maybe ~1000 pixels flashing at any given moment. They are not the same pixels flashing, so I do not believe it is my monitor at fault.

It only happens when I leave my computer idle for a long period of time and come back to it. Whenever too much movement occurs on that screen, it goes off and comes back a few seconds later. I can still do stuff on the screen without it causing it to black out. It only blacks out if I open a window or move a window causing a large amount of movement on the affected screen.

My second monitor, an old CRT, is unaffected.

Restarting fixes the problem. So does unplugging the DVI cable and replugging it back in. I'm guessing this is due to it "reseting" output on my graphics card. It only shows up after being idle so I don't suspect it is a connection issue.

My guess is my graphics card is going bad. But why only after it has gone idle for a longer than ~5 hours?

Sleep/Hibernate is set to never.

My specs are:
Win 7 x64
HIS Radeon HD 4890
MSI 790GX-G65
Phenom II X4 945
OCZ 700W psu
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333

Shawmut

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
No Eco mode other than to shut off when there is no input. I have the display set to turn off after 20 min, which it does regularly without issue.

My graphics card recognizes my display (Acer AL2216W) and I am running the most recent 64-bit drivers for the card. I just recently updated my drivers but it didn't seem to do any good.