Sign in with
Your question

6 pin connector problem

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2010 1:51:09 AM

Hello.

I have a Gateway 6810 computer with a 550 watt power supply. I updated the graphics card with new gigabyte 4850.
My PSU has 2 PCIe 8 pin connectors and 6 6pin connectors that are all female. My graphics card has a 6 pin female plug.
I have searched for some type of male to male cable to connect my graphics card to my PSU. I havnt been able to find anything.
Does anybody have any advice for me to get this to work? Can i make my own cable from two male cable ends?

More about : pin connector problem

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 77 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 2:12:12 AM

You can get a Molex to 6pin PCIe Adapter and use it to connect to your video card.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:21:39 AM

I have no molex connectors in my computer case. I have 6 pin connectors that go to cables with all sata connectors at the end. I have 4 more free 6 pin female outlets on my PSU and 2 free 8 pin connectors labeled PCIe. I have a female 6 pin connector on my graphics card. Any ideas on where to find a Male to Male 6 pin cable to go from my PSU to my GC?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 77 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 2:32:21 AM

Have you checked your 8pin PCIe connectors to make sure they aren't 6+2pin connectors, in which case you just connect the 6pin part.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:35:31 AM

I have no male 6 or 8 pin connectors. I just have the sockets in the PSU
The problem is both the PSU and the GC need a male connector. I need a 6 pin male to 6 pin male cable and i havnt found one with a lot of searching.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 77 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 2:57:48 AM

I did a Google search on Gigabyte 4850 GPU's and they require one 6pin PCIe adapter, which is one of these below.

You are saying your PSU doesn't have one of these connectors or any free Molex plugs to use the adapter I listed earlier... Correct?? I just want to make sure I'm on the same page.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 150 ) Power supply
a c 280 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 4:52:02 AM

2124322,1,372296 said:
Hello.

My PSU has 2 PCIe 8 pin connectors and 6 6pin connectors that are all female.

I think you may be confused about the male/female aspect. Have you tried actually inserting the plugs into the connectors? No PSU I know of has PCIe plugs that don't mate with their graphic card receptacles whether they be 6 pin, 8 pin, or 6+2 pin.
m
l
!