Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 3 upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2010 10:44:36 PM

Hello, i have a hp vectra and i was looking to upgrade the cpu in it right now it has a 600mhz intel pentium 3 i wanted to know what other cpu can i upgrade to i think its a 370 socket

More about : pentium upgrade

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 11:13:31 PM

First, I hope you do know that this socket is behind by 3 or 4 generations. Depending on your budget, a new system would be in order ... there are phones now with faster CPUs. Also, we would need some sort of motherboard model number to check for compatibility to see what is supported.

From what you told us, your CPU is most definitely a Coppermine CPU (name given to that generation of CPU) and the fastest Coppermine that was released was 1GHz. If, by any chance your motherboard also supports Tuatalin (the next generation, but using the same socket), you could go up to 1.4Ghz.

No matter what, the only places you might find those parts are on eBay and will mostly be used parts. It could cost you 5-20$ plus shipping and you would need a fan unless one comes with it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 11:39:43 PM

+1 to Zenthar

but honestly, i think its high time to save for a new computer as the upgrade is only marginally faster (unless its the 1.4 GHZ, but its still slow)
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 11:54:59 PM

ok thanks im not really trying to make it faster just trying to get some experience with upgrading a cpu so the 1ghz p3 should work right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 12:06:13 AM

masterofpupets95 said:
ok thanks im not really trying to make it faster just trying to get some experience with upgrading a cpu so the 1ghz p3 should work right?
Unless HP put some kind of weird CPU lock in their BIOS, yes a Coppermine 1Ghz should work (maybe not a Tuatalin 1Ghz).

Beside the hassle of removing the HSF and putting it back, upgrading a CPU is just as trivial as upgrading RAM. Even upgrading video card is more complex because you sometimes have to clean the drivers and install new ones (which is not the case for CPUs).
m
l
August 5, 2010 3:31:29 AM

even my Samsung omnia HD is faster than that p3... why r u trying to upgrade that pc... it's like putting one more leg to already dead horse... at least try to get a new machine... (say a dual core)...
if u r tight on budget, then get a single core amd sempron 140..it's 100 times faster than p3 and cheap too...... good luck.......
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 3:36:22 AM

masterofpupets95 said:

rohn_avni said:
even my Samsung omnia HD is faster than that p3... why r u trying to upgrade that pc... it's like putting one more leg to already dead horse... at least try to get a new machine... (say a dual core)...
if u r tight on budget, then get a single core amd sempron 140..it's 100 times faster than p3 and cheap too...... good luck.......

apparently you didn't read why

though Zenthar is right about it being easy, but if this makes you feel better about it in the future, all the better
m
l
August 5, 2010 3:39:57 AM

mindless728 said:
apparently you didn't read why

though Zenthar is right about it being easy, but if this makes you feel better about it in the future, all the better

for that 1 ghz he need to spend some money say around 20$.. why not spend some littile more and get a new machine.. as i said a single core p4 or sempron... that's it... :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 3:47:43 AM

rohn_avni said:
for that 1 ghz he need to spend some money say around 20$.. why not spend some littile more and get a new machine.. as i said a single core p4 or sempron... that's it... :D 

$20 is a lot less than a new system, though i agree a new computer would be better, if he thinks that the learning experience is worth the $20 or so, so be it
m
l
August 5, 2010 3:50:33 AM

mindless728 said:
$20 is a lot less than a new system, though i agree a new computer would be better, if he thinks that the learning experience is worth the $20 or so, so be it

ya after all knowledge and learning is more worth than money... :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 3:56:44 AM

i think so, imagine if he told someone he has upgraded a cpu before and they say "I'll give you $50 to upgrade my cpu", profit!

side note:
Step One: Collect Underpants
Step Two: ???
Step Three: Profit!
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:59:08 PM

Upgrading older computers is so much more satisfying because you can actually see a difference in day to day operation.

600MHz to 1GHz is nearly a 2X increase in processor speed which will really help you seeing as I bet that 600mhz one is pegged at 100% alot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 8:33:57 PM

Hi,

You won't be able to go up to the fastest P3s running over 1GHz, the Socket 370 changed for the last P3 the Tualatin due to voltage requirements.

You maybe able to run a faster Coppermine (circa 800-900MHZ) or at a push a Coppermine-T that run at about 1GHz. Although it depends if HP have released a newer BIOS version.

None will give you a massive performance boost to be honest with more modern software.
m
l
August 6, 2010 5:54:20 AM

even if u upgrade to that 900 Mhz or so called 1 Ghz p3, it won't help a lot... even XP will murder ur processor most of the times.......so think again.....
m
l
!