Hard drive says full when it's not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiphix

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hey guys, the community at Toms Hardware has never failed to help me with my PC problems and I was wondering if you can help again. I have a Seagate portable hard drive which is saying it is full when I know it shouldn't be. Recently it said 485mb left of space, so I deleted around almost half of the files only to find that it now says 253mb left. I have no idea what could be causing this and have scanned both my computer and the portable hard drive.

My Specs:

Intel Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
G.Skill 8192MB RAM
OS Drive: 120gb Mushkin Chronos SSD
Seagate 500gb portable hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Motherboard: MSI P55A-G55

I think this is the portable drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148863

Thanks for any feedback, you guys never seem to fail me!

Adam

Solution
Some of the hard drive space is reserved for out of filesystem operations such as system restore. Selecting all files and folders via Ctrl-A will not select hidden files and folders, and protected system files and folders. Some of these cannot be interpreted to have a particular size and will not be counted even if they are visible

If you want to free up some space you can do the following on a per-drive basis:

1. reduce or disable System Restore

2. reduce or disable the Recycling Bin

3. reduce or disable the system page file

It is recommended that a small page file be left on a system drive for crashdump and diagnostic purposes.
Some of the hard drive space is reserved for out of filesystem operations such as system restore. Selecting all files and folders via Ctrl-A will not select hidden files and folders, and protected system files and folders. Some of these cannot be interpreted to have a particular size and will not be counted even if they are visible

If you want to free up some space you can do the following on a per-drive basis:

1. reduce or disable System Restore

2. reduce or disable the Recycling Bin

3. reduce or disable the system page file

It is recommended that a small page file be left on a system drive for crashdump and diagnostic purposes.

Solution

You should also run a disk cleanup, that will get rid of some latent information such as crash dumps, install information and temporary files. Some of this is visible but much of it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.