Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard drive says full when it's not?

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2012 5:55:29 AM

Hey guys, the community at Toms Hardware has never failed to help me with my PC problems and I was wondering if you can help again. I have a Seagate portable hard drive which is saying it is full when I know it shouldn't be. Recently it said 485mb left of space, so I deleted around almost half of the files only to find that it now says 253mb left. I have no idea what could be causing this and have scanned both my computer and the portable hard drive.

My Specs:

Intel Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
G.Skill 8192MB RAM
OS Drive: 120gb Mushkin Chronos SSD
Seagate 500gb portable hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Motherboard: MSI P55A-G55

I think this is the portable drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for any feedback, you guys never seem to fail me!

Adam

More about : hard drive full

Best solution

a c 87 G Storage
July 23, 2012 6:03:11 AM

Some of the hard drive space is reserved for out of filesystem operations such as system restore. Selecting all files and folders via Ctrl-A will not select hidden files and folders, and protected system files and folders. Some of these cannot be interpreted to have a particular size and will not be counted even if they are visible

If you want to free up some space you can do the following on a per-drive basis:

1. reduce or disable System Restore

2. reduce or disable the Recycling Bin

3. reduce or disable the system page file

It is recommended that a small page file be left on a system drive for crashdump and diagnostic purposes.
July 23, 2012 6:09:38 AM

Ah ok, I didn't know system restore's file size didn't show. I just deleted a restore point which increased the space left by about 20gb. Thanks a lot!
Score
Related resources
July 23, 2012 6:10:01 AM

Best answer selected by spiphix.
Score
a c 87 G Storage
July 23, 2012 6:12:27 AM

spiphix said:
Ah ok, I didn't know system restore's file size didn't show. I just deleted a restore point which increased the space left by about 20gb. Thanks a lot!

You should also run a disk cleanup, that will get rid of some latent information such as crash dumps, install information and temporary files. Some of this is visible but much of it isn't
Score
July 23, 2012 6:16:50 AM

Ok, i'll look into that, thanks a lot for your help! And I must say, that is an impressive rig! I'm quite jealous :p 
Score
a c 87 G Storage
July 23, 2012 6:21:42 AM

spiphix said:
Ok, i'll look into that, thanks a lot for your help! And I must say, that is an impressive rig! I'm quite jealous :p 

Score
a b G Storage
July 23, 2012 7:10:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!