G

hello I have

windows xp SP3 32 bit
1.5 gb ddr 400mhz
directx9.0c compatible sound card
directx 10 compatible graphics card with 512 mb of video memory
intel pentium 4 3.4GHz
moreover I have almost 40gb free harddrive

I would like to inform that I can play halflife 2 episode 2 with absolutely no lag on highest setting possible.
Can I play crysis on the machine at medium settings?

If not then tell me what should i upgrade or if I should overclock it??

please reply soon.......
thanks in advance.

G

I have ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 (overclocked)
and
I 'm going to increse my RAM upto 2gb.
moreover
I want to play at 800 x 600 (or may be 1024 x 768 if possible).

I want to tell that my friend played the same on his machine ,same GPU and other specs it works fine so I hope that
it will work at least at low settings,at first I was'nt able to belive that he played with no lag on medium settings.
May be it will work.

If you want to play HL2 on this comp, it's got to be at it's lowest detail and resolution as the Game itself is going to soak up all the RAM that you have..... and since it's DDR..... you're going to have a long wait till it starts......

Crysis.............now that's a game that's going to , "maybe" , start but it'll stick at every 5th frame, even on the lowest resolution and details on your machine........

By the way, Crysis , if you didn't know, then is one of the most processor and gpu intensive games after Far Cry, that have been made...... lets not forget Prototype...... so if you really feel you want that machine to go thru a stress test, then try to play it and give us a feedback too.....

To play Crysis on that machine you're going to need to upgrade it........
As everyone else has said, what are your machine specs?? it's only after knowing that, we can offer more advice.....

welshmousepk

Distinguished
while alyoshka is correct about crysis (it will not be playable) he is incorrect about HL2.

i was able to max out HL2 on a netbook with a 9300m and intel atom processor. EP2 has only marginally higher requirements, so and your CPU should be fine. as said though, its the GPU that will dictate what graphical settings you can use. but anything more powerful than a 9400gt should be fine.

Max out on a netbook??? Well at the resolutions offered in a netbook, hey you could max out crysis too for all you know.
And the Atom processor is in no way lower than the P4... architecture wise it's 3 Generations ahead of the std P4.....
And like I said, it's the RAM that he has that's going to cause a problem with HL2. And he is using onboard graphics...... with DDR RAM..... really, if we want we can make it work, hell's I could make Crysis work on a P3.... but not in a way that I wanted to play or see it.......

welshmousepk

Distinguished

again, absolutely incorrect. do some research before posting misleading info. atoms are deisgend to be low power chips, and are less powerful than celerons. clock for clock, they are about on par with P4's. which means a 3+ghz P4 is conciderably more powerful than a 1.6ghz atom.

and i used to max out HL2 (not the episodes, never owneed them) on my 1920x1080 monitor. you seem to not realise how old this game is, and how well coded its engine was for its time.

now where in his post did he say he was using on board graphics?

now i don't like to be hostile towards peopel on these forums when it can be avoided, but your information here is obviously lacking. i would advise you to be much more careful when posting in future, as people often make purchases based on our advice, and misleading info can lead to misspent cash.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

from experience i knwo that a celeron at 900mhz=Atom at 1.6 GHz. an atom at 1.6Ghz= P4 at 1.6 Ghz.

so a celeron, at a lower clock rate, performs on par with an atom at 1.6. making them less powerful.

1) you need at least 2GB of RAM. With 1.5GB of RAM you are more likely to have pauses as your computer accesses your Hard Drive to swap information in RAM.

2) For Crysis, you will need to lower the more CPU intensive settings, like physics, to low.

3) Without knowing exactly what card you have it's hard to tell you more. I can tell you that you won't be playing Half life 2 Episode 2 at the highest settings with your current CPU.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
OMG people, he mentioned his graphics card in the second post. Its ATI radeon x200 onboard. Its a VERY old chip that I used to have about 4 years ago and it was still obsolete. Now, he has the following system according to him:

windows xp SP3 32 bit
1.5 gb ddr 400mhz
directx9.0c compatible sound card
directx 10 compatible graphics card with 512 mb of video memory
intel pentium 4 3.4GHz
moreover I have almost 40gb free harddrive

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 onbpoard graphics.

Okay, OP, if you are still here and reading this, then I would like you to upgrade in this fashion:

1) Get a ATI radeon 4670

2) Get a nice 400W PSU (Corsair or seasonic or Coolermaster etc.)

3) Increase your RAM to at least 2GB (4B recomended)

4) Now, you wont be able to upgrade your processor unless you change your motherboard (which I am guessing is Intel original DG101cc or something). So, if you need suggestions for motherboard and processor, revert.

And yes, he can play HL2 EP2 on highest settings at 800x600, because I did on the same system (with maybe HDR off). Crysis is a different story. Even if you buy only the graphics card that I told you to buy, you would still be able to manage only medium settings at 800x600, coz your CPU will bottleneck you system.

Quote:
"from experience i knwo that a celeron at 900mhz=Atom at 1.6 GHz. an atom at 1.6Ghz= P4 at 1.6 Ghz.

so a celeron, at a lower clock rate, performs on par with an atom at 1.6. making them less powerful. "

WTF!!!!
Please dont pay attention to all this BS.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

an original eeepc 701 had a celeron processor at 900mhz, and the later models have atoms at 1.6ghz. i have had extensive experience with both, and their performance is very similar.