Sign in with
Your question

Comments on New Build requested please

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2010 5:09:27 AM

Perhaps I should have read these boards earlier, but I thought I would list the stuff I just bought over Memorial Day weekend. My main reason for doing so is to get advice as to whether there are any obvious bottlenecks or foolishly purchased parts. I scouted some deals so I am not worried about price per say. The linked items are not for price, but to better identify the parts. This is my first build.

New PC:

Case: Antec 900

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium

CPU: Intel i7 930

GPU: SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91

Memory Cooling: CORSAIR CMXAF2 Fan & Heatsinks

CPU Cooling: CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

HD: My existing 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Western Digital Hard drive

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

SSD Mounting Hardware: Scythe Twin Mounter Rev. B 2.5" HDD/SSD Adapter - 3.5" Bay Drive Mounting Accessory

(Did not know that both the Intel SSD and the Antec case come with this hardware)

OK so that is everything. I got a little thermal goop and I am going to start building in the next few days when it all arrives. Have I forgotten any parts? I am worried about cooling my 5850 and my motherboard. I was hoping the reduced temps on the CPU and memory would allow the case fans to take care of the GPU & Mobo. I am also a little anxious to see how this quasi-watercooling thing works. Cool-it is about to release the same sort of deal for the GPU which I may pick up later.

What program should I use to monitor temps? What are good, allowable, bad temps for my parts or where can I find this info?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Last Week
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies and other less taxing tasks
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (I am not sure if this is safe. I don't want to buy replacement parts in 6 months)
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe later if I buy another card.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1200)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Will this be loud? Have I done enough to prevent overheating for long gaming sessions? (3+ hours)

Thanks Everyone

Luke
June 3, 2010 5:11:57 AM

Ugh irritating the links didn't work
m
l
June 3, 2010 5:35:46 AM

this thing is solid it definately won't get to hot. You can use realtemp to monitor temps.
m
l
June 3, 2010 6:29:55 AM

looks solid!

surprise you went with such a big SSD...i would have gotten 80G for OS and important programs and games but sure doesn't hurt to have bigger.

Your Antec 900 which is what i have has great cooling and with water cooling you will be fine for sure!
m
l
!