Status
Not open for further replies.

shotkalla

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Here's my story. I purchased 6gb(3x2GB) of dual chanel DDR3 RAM from Crucial while waiting for a rampage 3 extreme MoBo to arrive. When it did arrive the unit came incomplete from the supplier and I was able to RMA the unit for a full return. Now I have my eye another board that I think would be a better fit for my needs, the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

Here's the catch, the memory it says it supports triple channel DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules and mentions to view a list of supported memory from Gigabytes website. Now this is where it gets a bit confusing, Gigabyte does show that it CAN use DDR3 Memory but with limitations?? It says that I may use one DIMM per channel only. I'm not quite sure what that means and another question is if I do end up using that RAM will I be able to OC with it properly??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks SK

Solution
What speed is the Crucial RAM you bought?

All X58 boards support three RAM channels. Some boards support two RAM sticks per channel (six sticks total) and some only support one RAM stick per channel (three sticks total). Evidently, that board only likes one stick per channel. It likely has either three or four RAM slots.

You should be able to overclock fine as long as you keep the RAM at or below its rated speed, but of course that's not guaranteed.

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

A DIMM is one stick of RAM.

What speed is the Crucial RAM you bought?

All X58 boards support three RAM channels. Some boards support two RAM sticks per channel (six sticks total) and some only support one RAM stick per channel (three sticks total). Evidently, that board only likes one stick per channel. It likely has either three or four RAM slots.

You should be able to overclock fine as long as you keep the RAM at or below its rated speed, but of course that's not guaranteed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.