Is 90c too hot for my Core 2 Duo E8500?

mortesv

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hi guys. My two year old system has begun to run very slow. I have reinstalled the OS and even tried a new HDD but it doesn't help. When I install programs it takes forever (IExplorer 8 took 20 minutes and a brand new OS install and on a new HDD) and my gaming performance is very bad compared to when I first got the system - even when I turn gfx setting to low in SC2 there is no real fps improvement (always below 10fps). My system also shots down at random.

My CPU temp is 90c when booting and probably a bit hotter when taxed. Could this be the reason for the poor performance or is there an alternative explanation?

First i thought it was Vista - then my HDD, now I discovered the CPU temp

Specs:

MB: Gigabyte X48
CPU: E8500 - using the cooler that came with the CPU
RAM: 4Gb 1066
GFX: Radeon HD 4870
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640Gb
PSU: Corsair 650W

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Yes it is, although I thought the CPU would either be throttling (reducing it's speed to reduce heat) by that point or would have automatically shut the PC down by that temp.

Get the temps down and the processor can stop slowing itself down to keep from cooking itself.

Make sure the heatsink is mounted properly and that you don't have too much/ too little thermal paste, just a rice sized dab will do.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Yes it is, although I thought the CPU would either be throttling (reducing it's speed to reduce heat) by that point or would have automatically shut the PC down by that temp.

Get the temps down and the processor can stop slowing itself down to keep from cooking itself.

Make sure the heatsink is mounted properly and that you don't have too much/ too little thermal paste, just a rice sized dab will do.

Solution

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
that is way too hot for a 45nm cpu..... seriously u should consider to clean ur whole cabinet, adjust the airflow, and re attach heatsink with new thermal paste.....
good luck...

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Man this is hot. Take off your HSF, clean both underside of your HSF and top of processor. Apply new paste i.e Arctic Silver . Don't put too much. Mount the HSF properly, now i mean real properly. then tell us your results.

If you cant get Arctic Silver, Get a local one but good quality.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

+1

90C wow. WAYY too hot for any CPU.

mortesv

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Well my system is running extremely slow - perhaps it is casued by the cpu throttling down? However it is running so slow that I suspect it is running at like 10% of normal speeds. Sometimes the system simply shuts down - but it sounds like this is also related to temps.

I'll try remounting the heat-sink and give it a bit of fresh paste :)

Thanks for all the great answers - I'll give best answer to proto - because he is new here - like me :)

TRENDING THREADS