HDD Funk - Not sure what's going on

mehran88

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hey guys,
I woke up this morning to an awful buzzing noise and thought it was a computer fan. Restarted my computer and realized it was my hard drive. When I start my computer, the buzzing noise slowly begings to get louder and louder, then it clicks every few seconds, no buzzing noise for a second, buzzes again, clicks, no noise, ect. Then, the noise slowly dies down and my BIOS finally loads.

My BIOS gives me this error: "4th slave hard disk error."

The drive is not available in My Computer, and in disk management Disk 2 is 3.86 gb of unallocated space, despite the fact that the hard drive is approx 1.5tb. If I try to initialize the disk there, I get an "unknown I/O error."

I tried to download the R-Studio trial to see if I could do anything with that, but it crashes while it's initializing (what luck). I've been googling for the last few hours but am sort of lost on what I should be trying to do right now.

All and any responses are greatly appreciated!

dingo07

Distinguished
It seems to be a physical issue/mechanical malfunction - based on the noise.

Is there data that you MUST HAVE on the drive? If so, try contacting a data recovery service like these guys - http://www.salvagedata.com/
* Also - if there is data you MUST HAVE, do not continue to try and fix/use it. The more you do, more likely you are destroying your precious data.

Is it under warranty? If so, try contacting the manufacturer and see what options you have.