Sign in with
Your question

Please help.. what would you pay for this desktop

Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2010 12:17:04 PM

I am a big gamer and I am starting as a Computer Science/Computer Forensics Major In two months. I want to have something that is top of the line but also has room to improve. Here is the break down of what I found. I think I can get this for $900 is it a good deal?

The specifications are:

Intel extreme motherboard DP45SG that allows overclocking

Intel core 2 quad 2.5 Ghz

8Gb RAM

Two 1GB ati HD radoen video cards for a total of 2gb video ram and up to 4 monitor support

500gb hard drive

850 watt atx power supply

Black widow gaming case

6 fans to keep your system running cool.

HD support

Surround sound capable

It sounds like a very good deal from what I have researched about the products.

More about : pay desktop

August 5, 2010 1:07:33 PM

A core 2 quad is not top of the line, 8gb of ram is excessive for gaming and Intel made mobo's are a bit crap.

What are the graphics cards? Just saying how much memory they've got does not define them.
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:17:52 PM

I am aware of that.. although it does help to have 4+ ram for gaming if you want to run other apps at the same time so I thought. It was built to be excessive.

Graphics cards:
Two 1GB ati HD radoen video cards for a total of 2gb video ram and up to 4 monitor support
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2010 1:20:15 PM

flaminggerbil said:
A core 2 quad is not top of the line, 8gb of ram is excessive for gaming and Intel made mobo's are a bit crap.

What are the graphics cards? Just saying how much memory they've got does not define them.

I am aware of that.. although it does help to have 4+ ram for gaming if you want to run other apps at the same time so I thought. It was built to be excessive.

Graphics cards:
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:21:57 PM

Yep that's what you said before, but I'd need to know what model the cards are, eg: 5770, 5830, 5850, etc, etc.

You dont need 8gb of ram for gaming, stick with 4gb and instead move up to a socket 1156/1366 (i5/i7) platform.

Also what brand is the power supply?
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:33:10 PM

flaminggerbil said:
Yep that's what you said before, but I'd need to know what model the cards are, eg: 5770, 5830, 5850, etc, etc.

You dont need 8gb of ram for gaming, stick with 4gb and instead move up to a socket 1156/1366 (i5/i7) platform.

Also what brand is the power supply?

The CPU socket is LG775 for quad and dual cores

The ram is DDR3 240 Pin with a bus rate of 1666mhz

it has 2 pci-e x16 slots

pci slots

and 1 Pci-e x1 slot

two 1gb hd radeon 4670 vga cards

waiting on the power supply ill get to you in a sec..
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:39:35 PM

thanks for the help .. like i said i have only the knowledge of what i could have read online and am trying to learn as much as I can before I start seeking htis degree. I have heard programmers don't really need much more then the average computer unless they are running compilers which might call for upgrades.

All the help is appreciated
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:43:35 PM

flaminggerbil said:
Well the main problem is that you're spending a lot of money on ram but relatively little on the graphics cards + CPU, which is a very big mistake as to be honest the gaming performance would be rubbish.

Try reading this and then replan your build:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/system-builder-marathon,r...

Thermaltake - 850-Watt TR2 RX Power Supply - Black
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:44:13 PM

The person was asking 1600 for the system.. i offered 8 after doing some research but wasn't intent on buying it till i could talk to someone who knew better
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 1:46:18 PM

... I wouldn't buy this, I wouldn't use it either, I would use it for parts for my other computers haha... But honestly, go with amd processor (saves you lots of money on cpu and motherboard) buy 4 gigs of memory. Buy SLi GTX 460, also for your system you don't need that much power: "Thermaltake - 850-Watt TR2 RX Power Supply - Black".
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:48:57 PM

"also there is two of them with crossfire enabled.
so thats two gpu's and 2gb dedicated video ram"

from PC seller
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2010 1:51:26 PM

Memory, is not what makes a graphics card. You need to know what model they are. They could be low end models with 1 GB of memory. That's not good. That's useless. So I would do some more research and build one yourself.
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:57:14 PM

Well seems like this was just an over/under build by someone armed with just enough knowledge of what they were doing to make a mess. Thanks for all the inputs guys
m
l
!