Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel 520 SSD 240gb bad performance

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 23, 2012 7:16:59 PM

I've installed a Intel 520 240gb ssd onto my Lenovo T420 and I get really bad performance, anyone know what I did wrong?
July 23, 2012 7:33:57 PM

Did you plug in to SATA III port? Make sure it's not a SATA I port. Are you sure you don't have a 7200RMP HDD and you are testing that because those seem like HDD speeds, If you just got it I suggest re installing Windows/Linux on it not moving the OS.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 525 G Storage
July 23, 2012 7:39:44 PM

That laptop does not have SATA 3 ports, only SATA 2.
Do you have an option to change SATA modes in your laptop's BIOS?
If so, verify that you are in AHCI mode.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 8:08:27 PM

Yes the laptop only have SATA 2(3GB/s) port but even with SATA2 those number are still low for what the drive is capable of?
The SATA Mode is in ACHI mode in Bios.

m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:12:36 PM

EnduringInsanity said:
Did you plug in to SATA III port? Make sure it's not a SATA I port. Are you sure you don't have a 7200RMP HDD and you are testing that because those seem like HDD speeds, If you just got it I suggest re installing Windows/Linux on it not moving the OS.


That is the only drive in the laptop.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 525 G Storage
July 23, 2012 8:21:36 PM

pricyber said:
Yes the laptop only have SATA 2(3GB/s) port but even with SATA2 those number are still low for what the drive is capable of?


Yes, your results still should be higher.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 23, 2012 8:23:19 PM

Did you do a Clone/migrate Your OS from the HDD -> SSD, or as recommended a clean install.

Your scores are about on par/lower than say the Aggility III (on a SATA II Port), so Yes they should be higher.

Is your laptop running the latest Bios release?

Added, You sure he does not have Sata III.
quote"High-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rate for improved data access. Provides up to six SATA ports at 3 Gb/s with up to two ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates."
Ref:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6276&p...
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/perform...
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:29:33 PM

RetiredChief said:
Did you do a Clone/migrate Your OS from the HDD -> SSD, or as recommended a clean install.

Your scores are about on par/lower than say the Aggility III (on a SATA II Port), so Yes they should be higher.

Is your laptop running the latest Bios release?


Both, clean install and clone, about the same performance.

Looks like there is a new bios release, will update and see.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 8:33:19 PM

And what bugs me is that write speed is faster than read speed.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 23, 2012 8:54:19 PM

I have the Samsung RF711 which is a i5-2410m Laptop with 2 SSDs (one for OS + Programs and one for storage. As SSD show an overall score of mid 700's

Hopefully the MB bios update will Help.
Didn't look up lartest Firmware for your drive (I see yours is 400i)

General comments. Your 520 uses the SF controller which favors Sequencial data that is readily compressable, so using AS SSD, your Seq read/writes will be lower than advertized (JUST NOT THAT MUCH)
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 11:57:41 PM

RetiredChief said:
I have the Samsung RF711 which is a i5-2410m Laptop with 2 SSDs (one for OS + Programs and one for storage. As SSD show an overall score of mid 700's

Hopefully the MB bios update will Help.
Didn't look up lartest Firmware for your drive (I see yours is 400i)

General comments. Your 520 uses the SF controller which favors Sequencial data that is readily compressable, so using AS SSD, your Seq read/writes will be lower than advertized (JUST NOT THAT MUCH)


Just update to latest bios, still the same performance.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 24, 2012 1:13:45 AM

also I see your runing iaSTor, is it the lastest version, I think they are up to 10.6 or 10.8.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 2:29:30 AM

RetiredChief said:
also I see your runing iaSTor, is it the lastest version, I think they are up to 10.6 or 10.8.


Latest version
11.2.0.1006
m
0
l
a b å Intel
July 24, 2012 7:07:40 PM

On a SATA II connection you would be looking at Read up to 280MB/s and Write up to 260MB/s. So I would expect to see faster speeds. You can also call our technical support at 916-377-7000 if you would rather talk to someone. They maybe able to help you.
m
0
l
!