Intel 520 SSD 240gb bad performance

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I've installed a Intel 520 240gb ssd onto my Lenovo T420 and I get really bad performance, anyone know what I did wrong?
diskperf.png

EnduringInsanity

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Did you plug in to SATA III port? Make sure it's not a SATA I port. Are you sure you don't have a 7200RMP HDD and you are testing that because those seem like HDD speeds, If you just got it I suggest re installing Windows/Linux on it not moving the OS.

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Yes the laptop only have SATA 2(3GB/s) port but even with SATA2 those number are still low for what the drive is capable of?
The SATA Mode is in ACHI mode in Bios.

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006

That is the only drive in the laptop.

Did you do a Clone/migrate Your OS from the HDD -> SSD, or as recommended a clean install.

Your scores are about on par/lower than say the Aggility III (on a SATA II Port), so Yes they should be higher.

Is your laptop running the latest Bios release?

Added, You sure he does not have Sata III.
quote"High-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rate for improved data access. Provides up to six SATA ports at 3 Gb/s with up to two ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates."
Ref:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6276&p=3
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-qm67.html

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006

Both, clean install and clone, about the same performance.

Looks like there is a new bios release, will update and see.

I have the Samsung RF711 which is a i5-2410m Laptop with 2 SSDs (one for OS + Programs and one for storage. As SSD show an overall score of mid 700's

Hopefully the MB bios update will Help.
Didn't look up lartest Firmware for your drive (I see yours is 400i)

General comments. Your 520 uses the SF controller which favors Sequencial data that is readily compressable, so using AS SSD, your Seq read/writes will be lower than advertized (JUST NOT THAT MUCH)

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006

Just update to latest bios, still the same performance.

TRENDING THREADS