prince of persia 2 demo - what do you think?

Last response: in Video Games
November 22, 2004 6:33:13 AM

just played prince of persia 2 demo and while graphics look nice the
controls are completely ridiculous, I don't think I played a game with
such bad controls. They are pretty similar to the previous prince of
persia (sands of time, which is kinda first but really about 3rd) But
makes it impossible to run straight, the classic timed runs (spikes,
moving column, moving spikes etc. sequences) are pretty much impossible
to get trough in any deterministic manner because while you can move
camera using mouse it also moves automatically (to avoid walls etc.) and
the movement is relative to the camera (to certain extent). So in the
end the characters moves somewhere, sometimes where you intented it to
move, sometime somewhere else.

there's this small room where he needs to run up the wall to step on
the tile (the tile is up on the wall) but the camera keeps moving (since
the room is small) so you never know where the character will run.
Something that should be a basic simple move becomes matter of 5 - 10
tries till you get it right. Maybe if you play it long enough you get
the hang of it...

anybody else played it? how did you like it?

erik

More about : prince persia demo

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:36:30 AM

Erik Steffl wrote:

> just played prince of persia 2 demo and while graphics look nice the
> controls are completely ridiculous, I don't think I played a game with
> such bad controls. They are pretty similar to the previous prince of
> persia (sands of time, which is kinda first but really about 3rd) But
> makes it impossible to run straight, the classic timed runs (spikes,
> moving column, moving spikes etc. sequences) are pretty much impossible
> to get trough in any deterministic manner because while you can move
> camera using mouse it also moves automatically (to avoid walls etc.) and
> the movement is relative to the camera (to certain extent). So in the
> end the characters moves somewhere, sometimes where you intented it to
> move, sometime somewhere else.
>
> there's this small room where he needs to run up the wall to step on
> the tile (the tile is up on the wall) but the camera keeps moving (since
> the room is small) so you never know where the character will run.
> Something that should be a basic simple move becomes matter of 5 - 10
> tries till you get it right. Maybe if you play it long enough you get
> the hang of it...
>
> anybody else played it? how did you like it?
>
> erik

Sounds like exactly the same control system as PoP:SoT to me. I gave up
on that one ... besides being boring after a while, the control system
was making things inordinately difficult ... as you so aptly described.

Horrible loss, the (real) first 3D PoP was excellent. And now look what
they've done with it.

--

Pistol Whipped
Anonymous

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>> just played prince of persia 2 demo and while graphics look nice
>> the controls are completely ridiculous, I don't think I played a
>> game with such bad controls. They are pretty similar to the previous
>> prince of persia (sands of time, which is kinda first but really
>> about 3rd) But makes it impossible to run straight, the classic
>> timed runs (spikes, moving column, moving spikes etc. sequences) are
>> pretty much impossible to get trough in any deterministic manner
>> because while you can move camera using mouse it also moves
>> automatically (to avoid walls etc.) and the movement is relative to
>> the camera (to certain extent). So in the end the characters moves
>> somewhere, sometimes where you intented it to move, sometime
>> somewhere else. there's this small room where he needs to run up the
>> wall to step
>> on the tile (the tile is up on the wall) but the camera keeps moving
>> (since the room is small) so you never know where the character will
>> run. Something that should be a basic simple move becomes matter of
>> 5 - 10 tries till you get it right. Maybe if you play it long enough
>> you get the hang of it...
>>
>> anybody else played it? how did you like it?
>>
>> erik
>
> Sounds like exactly the same control system as PoP:SoT to me. I gave
> up on that one ... besides being boring after a while, the control
> system was making things inordinately difficult ... as you so aptly
> described.
> Horrible loss, the (real) first 3D PoP was excellent. And now look
> what they've done with it.

And the *REAL* Tombraider was excellent....and now look what they've
done with it! ;)
McG.

almost through the first run of HL2 :o ))))
November 23, 2004 9:04:51 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Erik Steffl wrote:

<snipped for irrelivance to my message>

> And the *REAL* Tombraider was excellent....and now look what they've
> done with it! ;)
> McG.
>
> almost through the first run of HL2 :o ))))

Speaking of TR, are you still interested in those two user levels I
wrote (oh, so long ago)?

Propose a time, date and place for me to post and we'll go from there.

They are in the form of two ZIP files, each about 6MB, so I imagine they
will disappear from whatever ng rather rapidly. I'd suggest
alt.binaries.lara.croft if you get it. Since you're on RR, I would
presume so.

--

Pistol Whipped
Anonymous

Pistol Whipped wrote:
> Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>> just played prince of persia 2 demo and while graphics look nice the
>> controls are completely ridiculous, I don't think I played a game with
>> such bad controls. They are pretty similar to the previous prince of
>> persia (sands of time, which is kinda first but really about 3rd) But
>> makes it impossible to run straight, the classic timed runs (spikes,
>> moving column, moving spikes etc. sequences) are pretty much
>> impossible to get trough in any deterministic manner because while you
>> can move camera using mouse it also moves automatically (to avoid
>> walls etc.) and the movement is relative to the camera (to certain
>> extent). So in the end the characters moves somewhere, sometimes where
>> you intented it to move, sometime somewhere else.
>>
>> there's this small room where he needs to run up the wall to step on
>> the tile (the tile is up on the wall) but the camera keeps moving
>> (since the room is small) so you never know where the character will
>> run. Something that should be a basic simple move becomes matter of 5
>> - 10 tries till you get it right. Maybe if you play it long enough you
>> get the hang of it...
>>
>> anybody else played it? how did you like it?
>>
>> erik
>

> Sounds like exactly the same control system as PoP:SoT to me. I gave up
> on that one ... besides being boring after a while, the control system
> was making things inordinately difficult ... as you so aptly described.

that's what I remember but somehow the sands of time was playabale (I
didn't play the whole game but had fun with the beginning), this one is
not. Maybe they'll tune it a bit before they release it...

> Horrible loss, the (real) first 3D PoP was excellent. And now look what
> they've done with it.

It's funny how can they completely screw up the counting with 4-5
games out:-)

erik
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:37:34 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhippedNoSpam@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Erik Steffl wrote:
>>>

> <snipped for irrelivance to my message>
>>

>> And the *REAL* Tombraider was excellent....and now look what they've
>> done with it! ;)
>> McG.
>>
>> almost through the first run of HL2 :o ))))
>>

> Speaking of TR, are you still interested in those two user levels I
> wrote (oh, so long ago)?
>
> Propose a time, date and place for me to post and we'll go from there.
>
> They are in the form of two ZIP files, each about 6MB, so I imagine
> they will disappear from whatever ng rather rapidly. I'd suggest
> alt.binaries.lara.croft if you get it. Since you're on RR, I would
> presume so.

Yes! I'd like 'em! And a.b.l.c. works for me. It's almost completely
unused any more.

Happy Thanksgiving PW!
McG.
!