What's going on with LGA 1155 motherboards?

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I've been out of the hardware loop for a few months, and today my mother calls me out of the blue and wants to build a new computer. I have read about the the Sandy Bridge chips and know that I want to get her a 2500K. I go to look for motherboards and there are zero 1155 boards on Newegg. What's the deal? What was this recall about and when are we going to be able to get boards?

There's some really good prices on pieces she needs right now, but I don't want to buy everything and not have a board to put it all in.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
new revisions are going to make their way back to retailers and e-tailers within the next 3 weeks..perhaps even sooner! Check with your local retailers by next week...some may have already started receiving some

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
BTW, what does your mother want this desktop for? Unless she wants to play Black Ops (in which case you have the coolest mother ever! lol) or wants to edit videos or photos then a 2500K is going to be overkill. One of the dual-core Sandy Bridge chips that are set to launch soon or a lower clocked quad-core Sandy Bridge CPU would be more than enough.

The recall itself (it's not officially a recall, but it effectively s), was over a problem where the SATA II ports on the chipset would degrade over time, eventually failing in some cases. High heat and voltage would accelerate the degradation.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It may be overkill right now, but it probably won't be 4 years from now. At the same time, the difference between the 2.8 ghz 2300 and the 2500K is $45 on Newegg. If I have to go to MicroCenter to get a motherboard, I'll just buy it there for 200 which is only $15 more. The flexibility of overclocking in the future is worth that much to me.

I have no idea what she's going to do with it. She got my old computer 2 years ago when I built my current i7 system, so the computer she is using is now 6 years old. It's terribly slow and she's tired of it. She said she just wants it really fast (she demanded SSD!). She's newly retired, so I have no idea what she's going to get into, lol.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Most applications that an average user is going to use (Word, Firefox, etc) are either network or disk I/O bound, so a SSD would be a better investment in order to make sure that this desktop is going to be snappy.

The dual-core Sandy Bridge CPUs which are to be launched soon will probably have price points in the $125-$150 range, which would give you greater savings than the difference between a 2300 and 2500.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
August if we are lucky.
But I was thinking that perhaps your Ma does not know how to clean a computer, and you might save some money by dropping by for coffee and cleaning out the old files, defrag, eliminate old restore points, etc, etc.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Actually yes, that's them. They must have been released sooner than I was expecting. For a lower end machine for an average user they are a good option. What's also nice is that the on-chip GPU, while not good enough for hardcore gaming is definitely a big step up from previous Intel IGPs.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
@ Noworldorder: Who told you that revised motherboards would be out in August, because I'd like to sell them a bridge. lol. Mid-March is cited as being the first time frame that motherboards would start trickling into the marketplace, with full availability by early April. After all, a week ago Intel started shipping fixed chipsets to manufacturers, so three to four weeks to solder the chipsets to waiting motherboards and shipping them to retailers sounds reasonable.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

My mistake I am sure. I had Z68 on the brain.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010