Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about Hp motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2011 6:56:24 PM

Hey i was wondering since i have an hp computer and i was thinking about selling my motherboard+ cpu together to a friend. Will he be able to hook up a hard drive and all the other stuff to get a computer running and will it work? and will the windows 7 cd key that came on the case of the pc (motherboard + cpu was already running on) work? or will my friend have to buy a new copy of windows 7 and install that way? please help!

More about : question motherboards

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 25, 2011 7:45:50 PM

I suggest you create a backup DVD of your current windows operating system so he can load it right on his own drive. I did it with my compaq system, but have forgotten the exact steps. You can go to hp's website and try going with live chat, if they still have it.
m
l
February 25, 2011 7:56:49 PM

o1die said:
I suggest you create a backup DVD of your current windows operating system so he can load it right on his own drive. I did it with my compaq system, but have forgotten the exact steps. You can go to hp's website and try going with live chat, if they still have it.

so since i did back up as soon as i got my hp computer i can give my friend all the disks and he will be able to install the windows 7 with the cd key that came with it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 109 V Motherboard
February 25, 2011 10:02:19 PM

Yes, your friend will be able to install Windows; however, you may be setting yourself up for failure, if you intend on keeping the HDD that came wtih the HP. In essence, a Windows installation binds itself to the mobo. This is why whenever you replace a mobo, Windows treats and recognizes the new mobo as a "new" system. The same goes for stand alone installation of Windows.

If you are going to keep the HDD, you must first uninstall Windows. Aside from the OS, there are other software installed on the HDD that are associated with features on the HP-installed mobo, that when used on a new mobo, could drasitically prohibit use of the computer. In other words, you may end up with an unstable system.

Your best bet is to give the HDD to your friend, with Windows already installed. That way, you can start fresh with a new HDD and not worry about hardware/software conflicts.
February 25, 2011 10:07:55 PM

T_T said:
Yes, your friend will be able to install Windows; however, you may be setting yourself up for failure, if you intend on keeping the HDD that came wtih the HP. In essence, a Windows installation binds itself to the mobo. This is why whenever you replace a mobo, Windows treats and recognizes the new mobo as a "new" system. The same goes for stand alone installation of Windows.

If you are going to keep the HDD, you must first uninstall Windows. Aside from the OS, there are other software installed on the HDD that are associated with features on the HP-installed mobo, that when used on a new mobo, could drasitically prohibit use of the computer. In other words, you may end up with an unstable system.

Your best bet is to give the HDD to your friend, with Windows already installed. That way, you can start fresh with a new HDD and not worry about hardware/software conflicts.

my friend doesnt want my hdd lol. and i pretty much like it. So if i erase everything on my hdd there will be no problem right?
m
l
a c 109 V Motherboard
February 25, 2011 10:11:22 PM

Correct. You'll need to format the HDD for you to reuse it.
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:12:06 PM

T_T said:
Correct. You'll need to format the HDD for you to reuse it.

how exactly do i do it? lol im new at this ^^
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 25, 2011 10:23:36 PM

Windows xp or 7 disks can do it for you; after formatting, you can stop the installation process before windows loads.
m
l
March 5, 2011 3:14:40 AM

Best answer selected by a-p-p-l-e-s.
m
l
!