Jul 25, 2009
hey everyone, My girlfriends pc

amd phenom 2 720 black edition

windows xp 32bit sp3

4 gig corsair dominator 800mhz

640 gig western digital sata 2 hard drive

xfx 5770

antec true power 550

asus m2n-sli updated to latest bios to support later processors and 5800 series gcards

the problem is, her pc randomly blue screens. It does it all the time. Yet I have stress tested each individual part of the pc. I have ran diagnostics on everything. I have used western digitals diagnostic software on the hard drive to make sure that the hard drive is fine. I have ran memtest +86 till 2000% complete for around 10-12 hours! I have run furmark for over 4 hours, gcard never going above 70 degrees! cpu never runs above 45.

The error code is 00000000xf may not be the right ammount of zeros

but according to microsoft this indicates failing or incorrectly setup hardware. Yet I know everything is fine! she can play fallout 3 on there for 6-7 hours + and no problems. Yet turn the pc off, then when it comes back on it may be fine, but sometimes. It moves orphaned files and deletes incorrect index files all by itself when no error checking has been scheduled and then when it boots to windows it blue screens. Then it wont boot or recognize the windows partition. I have avira anti virus and have ran full checks. I have deleted bios in case of boot sector or bios virus and reinstalled latest.

WHAT THE HELL AM I MISSING?

thanks in advance guys

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have always trusted avira and never had any single problems with it whatsoever, this seems to be hardware related.

I have done the bios, deleted it and reinstalled it from a second computer and used asus ez flash in the bios on her pc.

I have used prime 95, oops sorry forgot to mention that. used it for ages and still this randomly happens

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
what do you mean? ive wiped the bios and used a clean usb to install it fresh from another computer so it is not a bios virus, and i have used diagnostic programs on the hard drive. I have also scanned fully with avira. I am 99.9% positive its not a virus! and i also forgot to mention. I have had 2 seperate hard drives in there. Both times I swapped them. I used disk partition manager to format the drives thouroughly and they would have wiped any virus. I then installed windows and did not connect to the internet. This still happened. So I dont see how it could be a virus

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
ok relax dude.

i never said its a bios virus.

So must be hardware related? it may well be even if you say that you have checked each and every part thoroughly. how sure are you?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
im 99% sure its hardware related. The error code I always get is a hardware error code. Im that stuck that ive actually asked microsoft! sent an error report. They have told me its hardware related. I have even spent today testing every part individually in my pc, and my parts on her motherboard
and they are fine, till I boot her comp up again.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
just wondering, could the ht being downgraded due to am3 processor being used conflict with the sata 2 and ddr 2 controllers? is this some inherit problem im not aware of? will feel dumb if so!

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
loads of stuff comin up about index entry files orphaned files replacing windows files. man this is getting so annoying now!

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
its now telling me there are bad clusters on the hard drive in error checking. but it is passing the western digital diagnostics program! AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I will give all these things a go, but should it really be doing this on a clean install of windows! i mean really! lol

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
registry cleaners are gimicks, simple as that. they are only for developers who keep on installing and uninstalling programs.

though cc cleaner is useful for many other jobs.

now it seems like hdd is to blamre. man whats happening?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
windows is blaming the hard drive! western digital diagnostics tool (its a wd hard drive) is saying there is not a single fault with the drive! this is nuts!

How is cleaning your registry a gimick?? Any time I uninstall something it leaves traces in the registry. In fact the only way I could get my latest sound card drivers to install was to run CCleaner after uninstalling it. Took 3 tries to figure that out, and then it worked.

OT: Could be bad connections/cables and/or a bad motherboard.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
It did the same on a different mobo we had but ebuyer found that one faulty. so we got a replacement, same again. the guy at ebuyer said they had a bad batch. Coincidence or my parts killing mobos?