Ati or Nvidia?

grtsarav

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
i am thinking of buying a new graphic card.... :sol: .....can't decide between ati radeon 5850 and the geforce 470 gtx.... :heink: ....nvidia has got physics....should i opt the 470 just for its physics.....thanks in advance... :bounce: ;)

Solution

PhysX, while cool, just adds a little bit of realism to object movement. A lot of game developers will implement their own physics engine anyways. Most games don't have PhysX and the ones that do don't take advantage of it. The only two games where PhysX was even noticable when I played were Mirror's Edge and Batman:AA. If you REALLY want to get PhysX, just get a cheaper second card (like a gtx 9600 or 9800) and use it has dedicated PhysX card while your main does the rest.

What you should really be asking is what card handles tessellation better (DX11 feature), which easily goes to the GTX470's favor. Medium tessellation is more than enough, however, and the 5850 should be able to handle it...

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
What resolution are you playing at?
Also, imo, PhysX isn't noticeable in many games and isn't a selling point alone. A little bit more information, like your system specs, could really help us help you.

randomkid

Distinguished

If it is very important to you then why not. I have not tried PhysX myself cause I have an HD4890 but I have a spare 9500GT which I can use as PhysX processing unit to work with my HD4890.

Please also consider power consumption and heat. Assuming similar price ranges and performance, you should select which one will be cooler and less power hungry cause that will matter in the long term cost of ownership. 470gtx are hot hot hot... that means more power consumption and higher electric bill.

grtsarav

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

My pc specs:

procesor: Intel Quad core
4g Ram
current graphic card : 9800 GT
resolution: 1680 x 1050

grtsarav

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

my friend said radeon 5850 can run on 450w power supply......is that true...

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
www.tomshardware.com/forum/267080-28-power-requirements-hd5850-5870-posted

If you click the link, you can see that the min recommended PSU is 500W. If you have a name brand PSU, such as Corsair or Antec, than you should be able to get away with it. However, know that your PSU will be stressed and its lifetime shortened by pushing it so hard. I would personally recommend getting around a 600W to give yourself some room to fiddle as well as possibly Crossfire in the future.

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

PhysX, while cool, just adds a little bit of realism to object movement. A lot of game developers will implement their own physics engine anyways. Most games don't have PhysX and the ones that do don't take advantage of it. The only two games where PhysX was even noticable when I played were Mirror's Edge and Batman:AA. If you REALLY want to get PhysX, just get a cheaper second card (like a gtx 9600 or 9800) and use it has dedicated PhysX card while your main does the rest.

What you should really be asking is what card handles tessellation better (DX11 feature), which easily goes to the GTX470's favor. Medium tessellation is more than enough, however, and the 5850 should be able to handle it depending on the game.

My vote goes towards 5850 if you keep your system as is. If you get a better PSU, than I switch my vote for the GTX470.

Solution