GT240 problem...possible solution

winxsd

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I recently updated my 6600 gt with a gigabyte gt 240. The card worked for the most part, but would occasionally give a white flash on my screen. This seemded to be random, and would even happen when there were no open programs, and just the desktop showing. I am using an older CRT monitor with a VGA connection. It became quite annoying.

CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9650
MOBO: ECS GF8200A
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair DDR2
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GT 240 512mb 128-bit GDDR5 PCI-E

I messed with trying different drivers, but saw no improvement. Finally, I decided to try running the monitor through the HDMI port of the video card using a HDMI to VGA adapter that I had sitting around. So far, it seems to have done the trick. In two days, I have not seen the white flash on my screen at all. Hopefully my problem is solved, and if anyone else is dealing with this issue, hopefully this can help.

winxsd

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Update...Seems that this issue is not entirely resolved. It is about 90% eliminated on using the HDPI to VGA adapter, but one time I still saw the white flash since then (several days of use). Not really sure what is going on here, and would be open to suggestions. However, it is also not a major problem, more of an occasional annoyance.

winxsd

winxsd

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
sk1939,
I don't think it is a connection with the VGA cable, as I never experienced the problem while using my old video card or the onboard graphics.

winxsd

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Update...I replaced the old monitor with a new LCD and all the problems are gone. I guess the newer video card didn't like the old monitor very well. This annoying problem is now done.