Pc rebooting no post

G

Hi all,

I have an 23 month old system that decided not to post and keep rebooting every 4 seconds. This started about a week ago, after I put WIN 7x64 to sleep one night. The next day I powered on, and the fans came on, including the CPU fan, but after 4-6 seconds it rebooted and did this constantly until i shut it off.
A possible relation to this is about a week before I noticed that my DVD/RW drive just stopped spinning. It would open, but not read a disk. Device manager doesn’t even see this drive anymore.

The MB is an ASUS p5k/epu. CPU is an Intel E8400. 4x1GB Generic Ram that I cant remember the name of. 2 SATA HD's, one a 500GB that I bought with the other parts in June of '08 and one is an old 160GB. Case is an Antec 300. Power is a 450('ish) Thermaltake approx 18 months old. Video is a Zotec 9600GT

Now I can get it to boot buy pulling the Cmos battery, then resetting the jumper, putting it back and then the battery back and booting. It then will ask to reset the BIOS, and I apply the changes and it will then boot into WIN 7. However it sometimes will only stay on for 10-20 min before magically rebooting. On one of these reboots, I can get it to safe mode and it will stay on forever.

I have backed up my stuff to my external and want to reload WIN 7, but the DVD drive won’t spin. So I went out and bought a new DVD/RW, and it won’t power on. I think I might have killed it plugging it in when the system was on (I know, I know stupid).

But my worry isn’t the DVD, I have spare drives, the worry is I think it’s the Power supply or the MOBO.
Sometimes when it isn’t working after Bios reset, I will unplug the spare HD and it will boot. Other times I'll unplug the DVD and it will decide to boot. Other times, I’ll use another connector off the MB to plug the HD into , and magically again, it will decide to boot.

So this leads me to think it's not the WIN partition, and that it must be hardware. No melted capacitors on the MB, and the power supply seems ok as of course it's powering on.
I've bought a new CPU battery knowing it wasn't going to be the issue, and sure enough it's not.
I’ve removed the RAM, moved them all around, no change. The BIOS when it works does real all the CPU, and RAM correctly.
The CPU I don’t think could be the issue, as the Bios sometimes won’t even get that far to see it.

Could it be the Power supply? Typically when a PS dies on me, it just dies with zero power. This one though seems to be running ok, fan in front and back are firing. There’s some dust in it, but nothing out of the ordinary.

last resort is going to be pulling it out of the case to see if there’s a short, but I have checked every connection and all seems well.

Any ideas anyone?

banthracis

Distinguished
Well assuming you read the No boot sticky, then the next step would be to test.

You should also list exact model numbers, and preferably links to every component in your build.

Make sure no virus/malware and that drivers are all up to date.

DL HW monitor and check the temps.

Do a checkdisk and read the SMART data on the HD.

DL Memtest and run it for at least 8 passes. Random reboots/BSOD's are often RAM related.

If no issue found, then on to more annoying tests.

Start with breadboarding.

Next would be to swap the PSU for a known good one and see if behavior persists.

If it does, you'll probably wanna try a new MOBO.