Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power supply and cold boot problem

Last response: in Components
Share
August 5, 2010 2:36:18 PM

Hi,

I have an odd cold boot problem.

At home, when I power on on my computer, the lights come on and the fans spin, but usually no POST. And I'd have to turn it off and on several times before it'll boots properly, after which everything works just fine.

Bizarrely, this problem never occur when I take the machine back to the shop or to my office, and it always boots up the first time. So I can't even reproduce this problem to someone unless they come to my home.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks
a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 2:38:12 PM

How old is your house? It could be your psu "gasping for air" or basically not enough voltage through on the first start up. I've had that issue before, i fixed it with a ups.
August 5, 2010 3:00:25 PM

Computerrock1 said:
How old is your house? It could be your psu "gasping for air" or basically not enough voltage through on the first start up. I've had that issue before, i fixed it with a ups.


It is actually an old council flat, might have been built in the 80s but I am not really sure.

The comp worked fined for the first six months I had it, then it started acting up with this problem. For a while, once I have turned it on, I just leave it on for days and don't turn it off, but now it is starting to randomly power off as well, so that is not workable any more.

I suppose an UPS couldn't hurt.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 3:02:30 PM

Try, different hours of the day, certain hours your community grid might be drawing more power than usual. If you can, contact your local electric company and report a improperly functioning power grid, that is prone to brown outs or inconsistant voltage amounts.
August 5, 2010 3:08:59 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Try, different hours of the day, certain hours your community grid might be drawing more power than usual. If you can, contact your local electric company and report a improperly functioning power grid, that is prone to brown outs or inconsistant voltage amounts.


I have tried it at different hours of the day, didn't seem to make much difference.

I am gonna try to test it at my neighbours next and see if it makes any difference, been putting it off because I don't really know them all that well.

Would a improperly functioning power grid also affect other appliances and computers? I have a laptop and a shuttle pc, neither of them nor my previous desktop pc experienced such a problem.

In any case, would you still recommend a UPS as a temporary solution?
a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 3:11:10 PM

A pc uses more watts than most electric devices. So it is more prone to this behavior.
A ups would be a good idea.
August 9, 2010 8:16:02 PM

Computerrock1 said:
A pc uses more watts than most electric devices. So it is more prone to this behavior.
A ups would be a good idea.


Tried booting up my comp at the neighbours, same problem.

Bought one of this, didn't fix the problem either. Maybe it is not the right type.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44811


Will ask the eletric company about the powergrid thing, gonna take the comp to a repair shop tomorrow and check if anything else might be the problem.
!