Sign in with
Your question

Can't get 5670 to sync with monitor over DVI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2010 2:08:43 PM

I have the HIS IceQ 1G HD5670 with eyefinity connected to a Viewsonic VP920. I got win7 installed while connected over DVI but it went South after installing the Radeon drivers. Here's the horrendous support history:

Quote:
Robert says:2010-04-26 04:50
Can boot into win7 home 64bit with stock VGA drivers no problem. First tried installing drivers off the HIS disk. No boot. Rollback driver to stock VGA...good boot. Downloaded latest Radeon drivers from ATI. No boot. Downloaded win7/vista drivers from HIS website. No boot.In all cases I get past the windows splash screen and then it just goes black.
Adminstrator (Technical Support) says:2010-04-26 18:37
What do you mean by stock VGA driver? Are you referring to the built in driver in Win7?
Robert says:2010-04-26 21:45
Yes, rolling back the driver to the built in win7 driver works fine. I can adjust the resolution also. No matter what, I cannot boot when any radeon driver is installed. I even tried installing just the driver without catalyst control panel to see if that was the problem.
Adminstrator (Technical Support) says: 2010-04-27 16:04
Would it be possible to test the card in another system, this helps to isolate the problem quickly.
Robert says: 2010-04-27 20:40
No, I don't have any other machines with a PCIE slot.
Adminstrator (Technical Support) says:2010-04-28 14:49
The card may be defective. Our colleague will further follow up shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Robert says:2010-04-29 21:48
Ok, I haven't been contacted yet. This tech support process is painfully slow and I'm getting very frustrated.
I have verified that I can get a signal to my monitor through the DVI-DSUB adapter and then through a DSUB cable to the monitor. I can load the Radeon 10.3 driver and it syncs. However, the image is soft and blurry even at the monitor's native 1280x1040. I've tried 60hz and 75hz refresh. No difference. My monitor is a Viewsonic VP920.

I have not yet tried the HDMI output but I plan to do that. No matter what, I need both the DVI and the HDMI to function in order to be happy with the card. So far, not so good.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this working over DVI? I went into the Catalyst and found that it was getting incorrect max resolution info from the monitor so I manually selected 1280 x 1024. Connected DVI, nothing. I manually set the res to 1280x1024 and nothing. It sucks that I get a better image with win7 VGA drivers.

Bobby

More about : 5670 sync monitor dvi

May 3, 2010 2:11:07 PM

I finally hooked the card up to an HDMI capable display and got some more data here.
If I plug in the HDMI only, it displays fine. CCC recognizes the display type and max resolution and it looks great. If I plug in the DVI to my LCD monitor at that time, nothing happens. The DVI display is black. If I reboot, I get the HDMI as primary and DVI as extended desktop. I can also swap the displays primary/secondary. As soon as I disconnect the HDMI or tell it to clone the desktop across both displays, the DVI display goes black again. Long story short, the DVI display will only work when both displays are being used in extended mode. No good.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2010 12:29:16 AM

Heep it as HDMI I guess then, could be the card has a buggy output.
m
l
May 4, 2010 12:37:02 AM

Is your other display HDCP enabled? I doubt thats the problem but it's a possibility.
m
l
May 4, 2010 2:39:26 PM

I'm not really willing to use HDMI as the primary. The VP920 only has DVI and Dsub and my secondary display is a 1080p projector that requires a 50' HDMI cable to run and I already have a cheap HDMI cable for that.

I borrowed a newer LCD monitor from work and found that it worked fine. So, what the heck is going on? It seems like Radeon drivers aren't playing nice with this older LCD. Even if EDID info is incorrectly being sent from the monitor, I'm trying the Catalyst override and forcing known max res and refresh. I'm working with the VP920 right now using my laptop as the source but I have to use VGA because the laptop also has a radeon mobile card. This machine is still on XP.

So, the monitor worked over DVI fine with radeon 9800pro but not on any newer radeon cards. WTF? Who's problem is this? AMD/ATI? Viewsonic?
m
l
May 4, 2010 7:27:09 PM

This is one of the few times that I would suggest you try to use the monitor with a VGA cable instead of DVI, the quality might lower a little but it should work.
m
l
May 4, 2010 7:35:01 PM

It does work but It's like watching TV in 720p when it's native panel is 1080. It works but it's sub optimal. I'm building a new computer for $1000 that is supposed to be an upgrade from the old one (that had a 9800pro card that worked fine over DVI).
m
l
May 4, 2010 8:31:28 PM

Does the monitor work if you boot into safe mode? Oherwise go and disable Catalyst AI and tell me wwhat happens.
m
l
May 5, 2010 2:53:49 PM

It does boot to safe mode over DVI, but I'd expect that because it reverts to the win7 driver and doesn't load Catalyst. It's the same as before I installed ATI drivers.

I did try turning AI off. I really think this is something to do with the monitor's EDID info. After bringing the monitor to my office to be able to futz with it on my boss's time, I hooked it up to my Mobility Radeon 3450 and it exhibits the same behavior. I half expected this because it's a modern radeon GPU just like the 5670.

Again, the DVI will sync fine as the secondary monitor in an extended desktop where the built in laptop LCD is set to primary. Select VP920 over the DVI as the primary and I get a black display. From what catalyst shows, the EDID info is correct as far as what shows in catalyst. Max res 1280x1040 max 75hz.

Here's where it gets weird. With the laptop LCD closed/off and the VP920 running on the VGA cable, if I also plug in the DVI, Catalyst goes into clone mode and sees both connections to the same monitor as separate monitors. I can then set the DVI/digital display to primary and manually switch the monitor to the digital input and it works.

It's certainly progress, but this doesn't help at home where a VGA connection uses the DVI port.
m
l
May 5, 2010 7:22:12 PM

I'm stumped, I would suggest you buy a new minotor but you probably won't. How about you buy an active Displayport-DVI adapter and get a new monitor to use as primary and your old monitor as secondary. You could get an excuse for a dual-screen setup and use the projector for movie watching.
m
l
June 8, 2011 3:20:45 AM

I have the same problem with an older Olevia LCD and a Radeon HD 6850. I managed to make the DVI work for a period of time,but then it stopped working again (not sure what I did to fix it the first time), so now I'm stuck with using a DVI/VGA adapter so that I can have any video at all. I wonder if using a DVI/HMDI cable will work? cause i have DVI input on my LCD but no HDMI, but I do have HDMI out on the graphics card.
m
l
!