Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel E8400 and the AMD 955

Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2010 3:46:49 PM

I've been set solid on getting a 955 for a while now, but the problem is I want to SLI (Maybe put another 250 in there).

All SLI boards only support DDR3 with the exception of this one board that pops in and out of Newegg every once and a while. I plain and simply just cant afford buying a new 4GB set of DDR3 ram only 2 more GB of DDR2 which will be used along side the 2 I have now (same model).

Now I'm considering the E8400. A hell of a lot easier to find an SLI board for it on Newegg and on EVGA's B stock (yay EVGA board :)  ).

You might say 775 is a dead socket with no options for future upgrades, but the Max TDP of an DDR2 AMD board I could get is 125W which is where Phenom II ends.

My questions are: How easy and/or likely is it to OC an E8400 to 4.0ghz? With a CM Hyper TX3 or a CM Hyper 212

With the E8400 at 4.0ghz and the 955 at 3.8ghz which one will perform better in games?

How is CPU core utilization in games going to be like in the near future? (Most games now don't use anymore than 2 cores)

Would 2 vs 4 cores make a difference in DX11?

Which basically do you suggest to buy

And also why is C2D and C2Q still so pricey?

More about : intel e8400 amd 955

August 5, 2010 8:52:43 PM

The quad is the way to go now, I have an E8400@3.7GHz that a friend gave me, and it's nice, however more and more games are starting to run slow on dual cores, even very high clocked ones.

CD2 and CDQ are still so pricey because when retailers bought them they were pricey, and now the value has gone down alot but not the price because retailers want to minimize loss on the chips because when they bought them they were expensive as heck.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2010 10:25:39 PM

Thanks for replying. Still doesn't solve my SLI problem though :/  Anyone know anywhere that still sells AMD SLI boards with DDR2?
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:31:56 PM

Your going to have a hard time finding SLI DDR2 AM3 boards.

SLI is considered a high end feature, in other words they assume you are loaded with cash for buying one and they also assume you can afford, and want DDR3.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 12:52:14 AM

I got my E8400 to 4ghz using max safe voltage (1.37ish?) on a decent air cooler.

Most games are only coded for 2 cores but 4 cores is becoming the norm, however the gain isn't exactly linear.

DX11 is said to increase multi-core optimizations, so quad core would be a plus there.

Any game coded for more than 2 cores will likely see the 955 lead. The E8400 is faster per clock/core but it isn't enough to make up a 100% increase in cores.

If you need to stick with C2D/Q they are still plenty fast enough, and although expensive new, a used one should be decently priced.

AMD/Intel both have new CPUs/chipsets coming out within the next year or so, so getting an old platform might not be the worst choice. Everything from intel is considered dead now.

I will add AMD's current AM3 mobos are said to run some Bulldozer CPUs (AMDs new lineup) so that is something to keep in mind.

Good luck!
August 6, 2010 3:40:41 AM

Well I figure I should just give up on SLI and just stick to a newer faster solution instead of 2 older cards. I've heard someone recommend this somewhere.

I'll stick with the 955 just wish motherboards with good heatsinks for around $100 were still available.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 4:18:16 AM

MajorTankz said:
Thanks for replying. Still doesn't solve my SLI problem though :/  Anyone know anywhere that still sells AMD SLI boards with DDR2?

MajorTankz said:
Well I figure I should just give up on SLI and just stick to a newer faster solution instead of 2 older cards. I've heard someone recommend this somewhere.

I'll stick with the 955 just wish motherboards with good heatsinks for around $100 were still available.

As for MB's with sli and AM2+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (out of stock but eta of 08/09/2010)

Same motherboard but it's an Open Box :/  (cheaper though.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would of linked the MB to asus web site but they just littarly went under mantince so i wouldn't tell what all features it has.

But i did see it supported 140W cpu's so you're good on that and have sli with a ddr2 amd motherboard.

EDIT: here the link to asus web site about the MB. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=5tWNOaMAxGs1FXIQ&...

Hope this helps.
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:16:18 PM

Yeah that's the one motherboard I was talking about in my 1st post. Thanks anyways.
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:36:59 AM

Best answer selected by MajorTankz.
m
l
!