No video till I hard reboot using ATI 5770

sixpack99

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I have a strange problem, and I can't seem to find out why it's happening.
I have a new build with the following specs:
Intel DX58SO Mobo
Intel Core i7 CPU
ATI 5770 GPU (in secondary PCIe slot)
6GB RAM
Seasonic 650W Power Supply
WD Cavier Black 750GB Hard Drive

The PC is connected to my Sony Receiver and then to my LG LCD TV via a HDMI.

When I first power-on the PC, I don't get any video. If I then Power-off and then power-on the PC, video comes up and everything starts normally. This happens whether using the HDMI or a DVI-to-VGA adapter and connecting to my monitor. This happens every time. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on the first time I power it up, I don't get any video until I reboot. When the PC power's up the first time, the fans spin and appropriate LEDs on the Motherboard light up, I don't get any beeps.

The GPU is in the secondary slot as it fits better in the case with other cards that I have. I don't have anything in the primary PCIe slot. I haven't tried to place it in the primary slot (I just haven't had time).
My best thought has to with the fact the GPU is in the secondary and on the primary boot the motherboard isn't finding it, but I really don't know.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Though I'm not familiar with that board or it's BIOS, there is typically a setting within the BIOS to set the video initialization order. By default, this is usually set to PCI. You'll want to set it to PEG (PCI Express Graphics). If you place it in the primary PCIe slot, choose PEG1 if it's offered.

The initialization of modern ATI cards can be affected by the monitor to which they're connected. Since your receiver isn't actually a monitor, that could be the cause of the problem. Consider a direct connection to the TV, then routing the audio signal from the TV to the receiver.

sixpack99

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I've checked the BIOS, there is a setting for PEG. I switched it from Auto to PEG, but that didn't help. I thought about the HDMI issue, but disconnecting the HDMI and using a DVI-to-VGA adapter to a monitor didn't help either. I guess I'll need to crack it open and move it from the secondary to the primary PCIe slot to see if that's the issue. If that is the issue,I'm assuming it's a limitation of the motherboard, but that seems strange to me.