PC Will Not Start

sdlangford

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I believe i know the answer to my question, but i wanted to make sure before i take appropriate action.

Firstly, i am new to this group and have limited knowledge of PC's , therefore i appologise in advance if i get the wrong terminology etc.

My PC is a Philips tower with 2GB RAM and basically as it was out of the box.

I use it mainly for Flight Simulator.

After shutting down the pc last night as normal, this morning i have no power and the pc will not start up.

After reading many threads on various websites i decided to have a look inside the box.

When the power goes on, the start up light on the machine flickers for half a second, the fan spins fora second and then nothing.......

I then thought that it could be the power unit, so i swaped it for another i have. Nothing again, and to be sure i fired up my old power unit into my other PC and it fired up fine.

I have checked al connections in the pc and everythings seems in order.

All the advice i have seen on the web suggest the motherboard is fried ?

ANybody else have anything else i can try before i start to think about a new pc !

Simon

kingme1

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
cheack your graphics cards in tightly and then do a c/mos restart are change the spacers back n forth just basically reset your bios take c/mos batt out take power leads out wait 2 mins keep pressing power button then plug back in n a way you should be .. back playing another awsome game by microsoft flight simulator x??

sdlangford

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Thanks. As i said im no expert ith PC's but i do enjoy learning.

I have checked the graphics card. OK.

what and how do you do a c/mos restart ? and reset bios ?

Thanks

Simon

sf_torquatus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
You reset the BIOS through the CMOS jumper.

You're going to want to do an internet search to get the proper procedure, but it involves 3 pins and a 2-pin jumper. You motherboard currently has the jumper on two of the three pins. What you do is power off the system, move the jumper to the only other configuration possible, and then power on your computer.

You can clear the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery on your motherboard. DO this while powered down, wait a couple minutes, then put it back. Search this too since I've only done it once and probably haven't remembered an important tidbit.

sdlangford

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for everyones input.

I have now tested the cpu, and it definetely works okay.

Rest BIOS through the cmos jumper.

Nothing powers up.

Simon

sf_torquatus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Keep following the steps. After the last step (21) there's a lot of helpful descriptions. I recommend breadboarding the system. First, do a google search for your motherboard's BIOS beep codes. It may be in your motherboard manual too (if you still have it). If it's nowhere to be found contact the manufacturer.

Once you have the codes, locate your system speaker. The system speaker is, if you have one, is connected to the case and wired to the motherboard with read and black wires. If the wires are a different color they should be labeled as 'speaker'.

Using the beep codes, the speaker, and jsc's handy guide to breadboarding at the end of the thread you can narrow down the issue. It's great that your CPU works, but this will also test for bad RAM and other system components.

sdlangford

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I have the system apart and have the mother board and power supply and switch connected up. I still get the same issue.

Pressing the start button, light flashes for a second and nothing.

I do not have a system speaker, and would i get beeps as its not coming on ?

Will try and find BIOS codes on net.

Maybe time to take it to the pc shop !

Simon

sf_torquatus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
The PC shop will probably do something similar, but they could probably tell you pretty quick if the motherboard died. Personally, I think it did, but it's always best to rule out other options just in case.