If you have experience with this mobo please HELP

DanielBoone

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

I've read the booklet through but the answer I want is not in there or I can't read between the lines good enough.
I need to know how to wire the case fans correctly. I have two fans with "molex" plugs and the psu wire that hooks to them has an extra plug that I'm not sure about - should it be plugged to the mobo. The last thing I want to do is fry my new toy.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
You can plug your case fans into the fan receptors on the motherboard and/or use the molex system. For example, I have six fan hookups on my board and use four of those. I also use a couple of molex plugs for a few other fans. Make sure you plug your CPU fan into the CPU fan hookup on your board. After that, there is not right or wrong answer here but before deciding which way to go, there are issues to consider. They are things like fan noise at higher rpm or being able to control heat levels using the variable motherboard fan hookups (that go up and down in voltage due to thermal levels). Not knowing what case, what fans you have, what size they are and where they are, it is hard for someone else to say with certainty. Remember, there is no harm in trying different hookup situations and listening for fan noise and watching thermal levels. I moved my fans around for days until I came up with a permanent setup that I was happy with for good thermals and noise level. That is one of the benefits of building your own system...you customize it to suit you.