Crash with 5770 in older games.

acesarge

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
When ever I try and play older games like 911: first responders and Cortex Command. When the crash happens the screen turns black and I get a error message about the ATI drivers stopped responding and the computer runs very slowly after that but still responds so I can still shut it down normally or it just crashes in a way I have to hit the power button to fix it. The 911 first responders crash happens when I am using the LA mod, it will load up ok but it crashes when I try to load a mission. Cortex Command finishes loading but it crashes when the intro video should start.

My system specs are:

Time of this report: 4/29/2010, 13:40:34
Machine name: MATTS_GAMING_PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4092MB RAM
Page File: 1963MB used, 6217MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

This is often a problem with older game software having conflicts with video card drivers.
Sometimes you can get older games to run with certain older driver versions for the video card.
Best thing to do is visit the specific gaming forums (911: First Responders & Cortex Command, etc) and
see what other users have found that works for them.
It might be a different driver version is needed for each of the games for best results.

acesarge

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I tried this, didn't work. I would try the Winxp thing except I don't have Windows xp disks.

This is often a problem with older game software having conflicts with video card drivers.
Sometimes you can get older games to run with certain older driver versions for the video card.
Best thing to do is visit the specific gaming forums (911: First Responders & Cortex Command, etc) and
see what other users have found that works for them.
It might be a different driver version is needed for each of the games for best results.

I tried this as well, the forums for both games are very inactive. If anyone is running ether of these games on a system similar to mine please let me know what drivers you are using. If anyone solves this problem for me I will gift you a copy of HL2 episode 1 through steam.

acesarge

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Ah. I think the older drivers are helping. It still crashes but it takes longer to crash now. I made it to the end of the first mission on 911 first responders before it crashed.

Also, might be an issue 64bit OS WoW64 (Windows on Windows) handling of 32bit/16bit games.
Did your copy of Win7 come with both 64bit and 32bit versions(as in a Retail or Upgrade copy)?

If so you could do a dual boot 2nd install of Win7 32bit and maybe get better compatibility.
I'm using this option on my PC to get around some 64bit OS issues in a couple legacy programs.

acesarge

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I bought an OEM copy of windows 7 when I build my PC to save money so I only have a 64 bit disk.