Sign in with
Your question

WD 1TB not recognized, weird clicking. Posibilities?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
July 24, 2012 8:25:35 AM

So i bought a WD Harddrive My Passport (The new one) external harddrive 1TB.

Due to a power failure while copying files, my computer and hardrive both shut down, when i turned on my computer, no problem there but my hardrive wouldn't work. It made a weird cilcking cycle. Beeeeeep, beeep beep. -repeat-

I installed the drivers and utilities that i got from Western Digital i tried data recovery programs but neither of it shows the hardrive except in devices i can see it right there. What do i do from here? Before I request an RMA, i was wondering if i could recover the files. Thanks!

More about : 1tb recognized weird clicking posibilities

a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 9:06:06 AM

The clicking you're hearing is commonly called the "click of death." It's the drive attempting to initialize, but failing. As a result, the drive head seeks all the way to one side, then snaps back (thus the clicking noise).

It's rare that data can be recovered. The drive is as dead as it gets.
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 9:16:56 AM

Drive is dead, warranty it, you just got it =P
Related resources
Anonymous
July 24, 2012 9:24:35 AM

willard said:
The clicking you're hearing is commonly called the "click of death." It's the drive attempting to initialize, but failing. As a result, the drive head seeks all the way to one side, then snaps back (thus the clicking noise).

It's rare that data can be recovered. The drive is as dead as it gets.

Good fight. :cry: 
Anonymous
July 24, 2012 9:25:23 AM

memadmax said:
Drive is dead, warranty it, you just got it =P

Meh, I'm in the middle of a vacation and i dont have unlimited internet so there goes 150 hours of movies :( 
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 4:52:19 PM

I know how it goes. Lost a 1.5 TB drive once that stored my media collection, was completely full too. Sat down at my computer one morning and was greeted by the click of death. Took me about a month to rebuild the library.
March 11, 2014 1:17:28 AM

i am having the same problem.... i save my all data in it.. is there anyway to recover data..... :??: 
!