3D modeling and rendering

bzhagar

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hello,I have gotten into the addiction of 3D modeling and animation. I am learning this for my hopeful career one day and I would like to have a computer capable of doing these tasks much faster. I use 3DS Max 2010 and I wanna build a computer that will be able to last for a while but I am working on a limited budget. I wanna start over completely from scratch but I have no clue where to start. I know this is a popular and controversial topic, (for good reason) but I cant decide to start with an Intel platform of AMD. I have an intel Core 2 Duo right now and Im kinda interested in exploring the opposite side of the spectrum. I also have a Nvidia graphics card with the same mind set. I am open to any and all opinions and I thank you kindly for all your help!

I also want to apologize for such a monotonous topic. I realize this kind of thing gets posted here 100 times a day every day. But I know everyone here will be more than willing to help. I wish a great day to all and a sincere thanks for any assistance.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I'd go Intel personally, a nice quad-core i7 or something. That's just me though.

Graphics cards aren't overly important, so you could honestly just use the same card you're using currently.

Get a bunch of RAM. 6GB would be good probably. More couldn't hurt.

What's your budget for all of this? It'll be hard to make suggestions without knowing how much you're wanting to spend.

bzhagar

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention the budget huh. I would say somewhere around 800-1000 dollars. I know thats not a lot but i figured I could make a decent system with that. And @ emperus: I know where your coming from, but not only do I wanna use it for practical purposes, I also love tinkering like the majority of us here. My dream is to make 3D games if that is more help to anyone. I was thinking either the AMD Phenon II 1055T or the new Intel i5 760.

My apologies if my previous post felt offensive.. 3D designing and modelling requires serious hardware (especially with regards to the CPU power) but only on an expertise level.. Since you already own a C2D system, my idea was to suggest you to upgrade to a quad core on the same platform and take it from there.. Making a 3D game would require both designing and programming knowledge.. Complex 3D games cannot be made without a team.. You'll learn all this as you progress into the field..

Although, HT only gives about 30% maybe 40% extra performance over a quad version of it self without HT.... So it really isn't giving true 8 cores performance. It much closer to a performance of somewhere between 5 and 6 cores. Just depending on how good/badly a program is made for that range of threads/cores and that arch the program made for, that will determine whether core i7 quad core or a Phenom II x6 is better. :/

(Although HT is a good way to fool program that need 8 cores and cant detect the difference between 8 real cores and 4 cores/8 threaded cpus. :lol: )

bzhagar

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Did not find it offensive in the least. Just throwin out the fact that I kinda want to build another one for fun just as much as for use in programming. I enjoy all fields of the computer field, programming, building, fixing, and even modding. But I have been outta the loop for a little while and I just needed some extra advice to lead me in the correct direction. Thanks to everyone once again. I appreciate such a helpful community as this.