New Build...Almost an Instant Success!

dollie31

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I recently put together my first PC today, and despite from the hiccup encountered by not attaching the 4-pin power to the MB, it has all gone swimmingly well...almost!

Unfortunately, I need to buy a wireless network card to connect to the internet.

The current problems I am encountering are:

1) Failure to connect to the internet - presumably a wireless card will sort this out?

2) Monitor Resolution/Windows 7 64Bit - I have my system attached to a Samsung P2370 23" Monitor with an OEM copy of 64 bit Windows7. However, the monitor fails to set the screen resolution to 1920x1080, regardless of using a DVI input or not. The highest it goes to is 1400 something, with 32bit the highest setting Windows seems to recognise.

A friend mentioned I may need a graphics card/adaptor of some description to set the monitor up properly...is this true? If so, what should I be looking for?

Or, having connected to the internet, will Windows/Samsung sort itself out, download all the available drivers, set the proper screen resolution and hey presto!?

Any advice on what I need to purchase (tomorrow, UK stores such as PC World) would be very gratefully received!

Your Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G has that ATI HD 4200 video graphics built in. You definitively do NOT need a 2nd video card.
Did your Samsung P2370 monitor come with a CD?
Windows is probably using some 'generic monitor' driver at the moment, since you're not connected to the internet. Windows should do a driver update check once you connect to the internet.
Or you should be able to get a current driver off the Samsung website.

Have you been trying to connect to the internet over wired connection? A 'wireless internet account' is not the same thing as your typical home internet account.
Who is your internet provider?

banthracis

Distinguished
1. You could also just use a cat 4/5 cable to connect your PC to your router or modem.

2. Does the monitor support 1920x1080 as a resolution? What about your GPU? What are you using? Does IT support 1920x 1080?

you should provide links to all the components of your build.

dollie31

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
The router (at home) is a NetGear rangemax router DG834PN, and the provider (at home at least) is talk-talk (sigh). I'm at medical school at the moment though so am quite frequently drifting about between different networks.

The Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169532) that I have has an ATI HD 4200 video graphics built in.

The specifications from ebuyer quote:

- Supports HDMI™ Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
- Supports Dual-link DVI with max. resolution up to 2560x1600 @60Hz
- Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2048x1536 @85Hz

The monitor (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164044) has a display resolution of 1920x1080.

I'll try to connect to the internet with a wire tomorrow and hope that things sort themselves out with the resolution/64bit issue.

Regarding the wireless connectivity, dongle or PC network card?

Many thanks for all of your help.

NetGear rangemax router DG834PN is a b/g wireless / wired router.
It's probably not worth paying extra to get a faster N adapter with the router being a G model.
If your router is close by the computer a dongle will work fine. If it's farther away, or there are walls between router and PC the adapter cards with antenna can a bit better range.
Netgear Wireless-G USB Adapter $£19
Netgear WG311 Wireless-G PCI Card £18

Getting the right driver for your monitor:
In the Start Menu search box type in: update drivers
and choose Update Device Drivers. When the Device Manager screen opens find your Monitor section.
Does it list the Samsung P2370? If not right click and choose Scan for Hardware changes.
You can also choose Update Driver Software (when connected to the internet). Let it search automatically. Hopefully it will pull a driver off the internet for you.

To connect to the internet, first try a direct wired connection to the router. It is faster and simpler. If that is not possible, then you need a wireless card or usb adapter.

Windows uses generic display drivers to get you started. When you get connected to the internet, then you can update your display adapter driver which will give you the resolution you want. Go to the ATI web site, and download the driver package for your integrated 4200 display adapter. It will let you set the resolution and color that the 4200 and monitor is capable of.

You will also want to install some sort of internet security. The very simplest is Microsoft security essentials. It is small, effective, and free. I use it.