Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply the issue?

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2010 5:50:05 PM

My Issue: My computer turns off then reboots when I try and start a program that demands graphics performance.

I recently purchased new upgrades for my computer and the only things I left in it was the 750W power supply and an nVidia GeForce GTX 280. The problem I'm having is that every time I try to run a program that demands graphics performance (World of Warcraft for example) my computer shuts down and reboots. My graphics card temp has not exceded 55C and my processor has not exceded 43C on all cores . I read somewhere that the GTX 280 needs 40Amps to run (can anyone confirm this?) and I have 2x19Amp rails connected to it (38Amps). The GTX 280 was used in my old system that was PCI-Ex16 1.0 and I'm now running it on a PCI-Ex16 2.0. Could PCI-E 2.0 be drawing more power? Could the lack of 2 amps be the problem?

Anyways, here is my current setup.

POWER SUPPLY: hec zephyr 750W

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6X58D Premium

RAM: 6gb corsair Xms3 DDR3 1333mhz tri-channel memory

GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA GTX 280

PROCESSOR: intel core i7 930 2.80ghz

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

HARD DRIVE: 1tb, 7200rpm Hitatchi

Additonal info: I have 2x120mm fans and 3x80mm fans. That does not include fan on graphics card or the CPU heatsink fan.

Anyone have ideas as to why my computer shuts down? Anything helps!

More about : power supply issue

a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 5:54:30 PM

i would recommend getting a new psu
m
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 5:58:09 PM

The GTX 280 does not need 40A to run, the power requirements listed are always for the entire system, if it needed 40A it would be using 480W of power which it doesnt.

Your PSU looks like it should be plenty strong for your system, 720W between the 12V rails, a good 550W PSU would be more than capable of powering your system so im les inclined to blame your PSU but its still possible. There are a few other things that might be the cause, run furmark to see if it is your GPU causing issues when it runs at full load, if furmark makes your system reboot then its either the GPU or the PSU.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2010 7:01:30 PM

hunter315 said:
The GTX 280 does not need 40A to run, the power requirements listed are always for the entire system, if it needed 40A it would be using 480W of power which it doesnt.

Your PSU looks like it should be plenty strong for your system, 720W between the 12V rails, a good 550W PSU would be more than capable of powering your system so im les inclined to blame your PSU but its still possible. There are a few other things that might be the cause, run furmark to see if it is your GPU causing issues when it runs at full load, if furmark makes your system reboot then its either the GPU or the PSU.

I was able to run the Furmark benchmark test once and got 12,000 something points. I tried running the stability test immediately after the benchmark test and the computer shutdown and rebooted immediately upon clicking 'Go!'. I tried running the benchmark test again and it failed twice, again rebooting my computer. I am able to run World of Warcraft for a short time on lowest settings, comp reboots when I put up the resolution settings. I tried rearranging the rails plugged into the GPU and found that the computer would boot normally but with nothing displaying on the screen. Sound did work (heard the windows 7 login chime). The GPU works when the 8pin and 6 pin connector come from the same cord on the power supply but when I use a 6pin from one cord and an 8pin from another cord no video signal is sent out. What's my next step?
m
l
August 5, 2010 7:15:38 PM

I also want to note that my current power supply has two fans, 1 80mm on back and 1 120mm on top. The 80mm has never run only the 120mm one has. I always thought it needed to be hooked up to the motherboard in a certain way, now I'm thinking otherwise.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 7:46:52 PM

The Zephyr, if working properly, can provide a total of 60 amps. As such, it should be adequate to power your system.
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:10:28 AM

The power supply ended up being the issue. I guess that's what I get for spending $70 for a 750W PSU. I replaced it with a Corsair 850W Modular PSU. Everything is running fine now. If anyone else is able to render graphics at low settings/resolution but not high settings/resolution without the PC shutting off it is probably the PSU. Don't buy poor quality PSU's, stick to the name brands. Corsair is amazing. Another mystery solved.
m
l
!