Radeon 5830 underpowered and no display - burnt out?

ashgromnies

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I am in the process of building a new gaming computer since I haven't had a decent one for about 5 years now(my old one is all AGP and IDE components, completely unupgradable :().

However, I have a decent HTPC with a modern motherboard that supports PCI-E so I figured I'd get a new video card and use it in there until I could afford the rest of the components.

HTPC specs:

Intel E6250 processor(2.6 ghz I think)
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard(has onboard graphics)
Xion 450 W PSU(only 18 amps on the +12V rail)

The HTPC works fine for what I built it for ;)

So, the first component I got was a new graphics card - a Sapphire Radeon 5830.

I plugged it in to my HTPC with the additional power cables attached, booted up, and was getting no display and the fan on the video card was spinning at max speed. The thing was loud, I could hear it from four rooms away.

I tried both the HDMI out on the video card and both DVI outs, and neither yielded any display. The HDMI out on the motherboard also did not work while the video card was plugged in.

Now, I looked up specs for the Radeon 5830 and I see: +12V 35-40A and a 500W PSU

Does it really need 35-40 amps on the 12v rail? And does my issue of no display seem to be caused by it being underpowered? I thought that usually when a video card was underpowered it just worked very, very poorly, not displayed nothing.

Regardless, I ordered a Corsair HX850 as my next component(figure that will last a while ;)) and it should hopefully come from Newegg soon, but I was wondering if anyone thinks my video card is burnt out from the ~10 total minutes it was powered on while I shifted cables around and prayed to various deities?

Thanks.

Your PSU is not up to the job.

The 35-40A and 500W is for the entire system, not just for the graphics card. However your way below the requirement, Your +12V rail(s) only has 216W (12 x 18 =216).

With fairly modern systems pretty much everything runs off the +12V rail, including the CPU, Motherboard, Graphics card, Memory....... So 216W is no where near enough.

I'm pretty sure your Corsair HX850 will solve the problem.

P.S Nice choice on PSU, My Corsair HX850 arrives tomorrow (YAY!!!) :)

ashgromnies

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks.

Is that normal for an underpowered PSU, to not see any display? I thought usually you'd get some display, but just with a lot of artifacting.

A couple days til my 850HX... :X Let's hope it comes Saturday, not Monday.