apsolus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
My Thanks in Advance for any ideas anyone might have,

I have recently setup DynDNS on my router and PC but have a single problem. AVG Firewall is blocking the connection, I have checked the firewall log and can confirm it. I was able to bypass it once by programing the Protocol and Local Port into a new rule for the service, but after closing out the firewall page, it no longer works and I am unable to get that same result again. The only way it works is if I completely disable AVG Firewall, something I'd rather not do.

If you have any ideas please let me kno, thanks

Will

I assume you’re using DynDNS to keep a dynamic DNS name updated using your router’s DDNS feature. How does this involve the PC? The whole point of using the router is to avoid using the PC for that same service. To do so is redundant. Or else I’m missing your intent (which is possible).

Oh, I see.

Under Priority Application Rules, try adding the following rule:

protocol = ANY
direction = In
local port(s) = 3389
remote port(s) = All ports (0-65535)
remote addresses(es) = All Networks

Allow for all

Name = Remote Desktop

apsolus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Sadly that did not work, but I did find something that did work.

Under System Services, if you go to "Remote Desktop Server" next to it, by default it says "Allow for Safe" if you change that to "Allow for All" it will allow the connection.

I'd rather have a set firewall rule for this connection but I have been able to come up with any that work other than using this method.

Thank you for your help tho, I appreciate it.

Will

Actually I haven't used AVG before, so I just added the rule (as anyone normally would) assuming it would work. Then found it didn't work either. This is a rather complex firewall, far more than your average router. I too eventually found the existing system rule, ready to go. But “Allow for Safe” doesn’t include the gateway IP, at least by default. By changing it to “Allow for All”, that added the gateway IP.

I suppose another approach would have been to add the gateway IP to “Allow for Safe”, thus covering a larger possibility of remote access services (web server, ftp server, etc.).

So in reality, this is the preferred solution anyway, at least if you want the narrowest impact. There’s no point in adding a rule that's already present. It just needed that tweak or else RDP would have only worked within the confines of your local network.

We both learned something today! :)